Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help deciding on a 45colt

Boolit Buddy

Help deciding on a 45colt

Hi fellas,

I'm hankering for a 45 colt lever rifle. I'm looking at the Uberti '73 but have never seen one in person. And... this will be an online purchase as no local gunshops carry much other than bolt action or AR rifles.

I have 2, 94 Marlins, 1 44mag and 1 32 HR mag CB but have heard all the horror stories about the "Remlins". I've also read about oversize chambers in some 45 colt rifles and am looking to shoot the same loads in my Vaquero and the rifle. Kind of defeats the purpose if I can't.

I like the looks of the Uberti 73 with the 24" octagon barrel. I would appreciate any advice you could give me.

Brad

Boolit Master

I have one of the new manufactured Marlins (Cowboy). I'm convinced that it's probably better overall than the exalted "JM" Marlins of yore. And yes, I have plenty of old ones to compare it too. I also have a lot of good use out of one of the 1892 Winchester, 24" round barrel. Depending on the model Ruger, you can run significantly stouter loads out of the Marlin and Winchester 92 than out of the Uberti and be plenty safe in the Ruger as well. Depends on your needs, mounting a scope, try a Marlin. Open sights, a 92. Either will serve you well.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Jeff. I have the New Vaquero so just loading mid range 45 loads. I have the 44 mag, 94 for hotter stuff. I'm looking for more of a fun, dirt clod rifle more than anything else. I'm late to the 45 colt party and really enjoy that round. Thinking a rifle would double the fun.

Vendor Sponsor

I have been wanting a levergun in 45 Colt for quite a while too. All the time I have been keeping up with the posts, and for the most part it seems as if all of them except maybe the Henry have fairly generous chambers and throats. I would look into the Henry.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    I have a Henry Big Boy Steel in 45 Colt. Bought it for deerhunting in MI, but so far it's only drawn woodchuck blood. Using the Lee 452-200 rf.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HenryBBS.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	109.4 KB 
ID:	198907
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ChuckyI.jpg  

Boolit Master
    The Uberti is a great gun. I'm not sure how hot the loads you shoot in your Ruger are, but if they are up to "Ruger only" levels, I'd be skeptical of using them in the Uberti.

Boolit Master

I have used a Uberti 73 45 Colt in cowboy competition. am44mag is right, lighter loads only for that old design. It's also true that overall length must be controlled within narrow limits for the lifter feed to work without a jam. Also, that rifle is HEAVY.

I went to a Marlin cowboy in 45 Colt. Lighter and more graceful, even with the longer barrel, and it will handle heavier loads. It's easy to mount modern sights on a Marlin.

Now, most top CAS shooters use a 73 design, but, for general lever gun purposes, I recommend the Marlin design. I have no experience with the Henry.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for your thought fellas. I'm taking it in. Keep it coming.

Boolit Grand Master

You need to decide if you want to scope it or not.

If you want to scope it, Marlin and Henry are your options. I have both. Both are adequate. I prefer the Marlins side loading but the Henry has been a tad more accurate and slicker lever movement.

If no scope, your options are open.

Boolit Grand Master

My most recent Marlin 45 Colt limited has outstanding wood, a nice bluing job and very nice all around.

The Rossi 45 Colt has been working without a hitch. If you look you can get the for around $450 delivered.

Boolit Buddy
    I do like my older Marlins and had considered the Cowboy but was leary about the newer ones. Sounds like they may be OK now. Looking at the Rossi and Henry now too. Thanks for your advice fellas.

Boolit Grand Master

Brad

I have an Uberti M73 in 45 Colt and have shot numerous others. Mine has the Gen III linkage in it as it was set up for SASS competition. Mine has a 20" full octagon barrel also. I only shoot one load in mine which is a 200 gr RNFP loaded over 7.2 gr Bullseye. Velocity is right at 1200 fps out of the M73. I shoot the same load out of both of my Uberti SAAs. I have pressure tested this load and it is right at the SAAMI MAP of 14K which is safe for "old" actions.

The reason I got the M73 and then sold off my M92 Rossi was because the M73 is a really fun rifle to shoot, very accurate and fast. It also is a perfect companion to the Colt clone SAAs. I have it zeroed at 75 yards and with the elevation slide steps I can take it out to 200 yards. Using a bit of elevation of the front sight in the rear buckhorn I have shot it out to 350 - 400 yards with very good accuracy.

Like you I have other rifles in more powerful cartridges to begin with so if I want more power I use them.

Larry Gibson

Attachment 198918

Banned

SASS gunsmith Jim Bowie invented the short stroke kit. I have had him work on my guns, and he is the man. He is at the Cowboys and Indians Store in California
    Also, consider Longer Hunter and Evil Roy for a 73. Google them. You will not be disppointed, regardless.
    Mrs. Jim Bowie let me cycle her 73 and it was crazy nice. A beautiful thing.
    Thank God that SASS came around, especially if you love the .45 Colt as I do.

I will put in a plug for the Marlin as well. I found one at a pawn shop about a year ago. It is JM marked, 24" octagon barrel Cowboy model. I have not taken the time to really wring the rifle out and get "the most accurate" load at this time. So far I have tried Lyman 454190, LEE 260 RF, and RCBS 270SAA, all sized to .452 and pushed with 2400 powder. Have killed lots of cans, dirt clods, pine cones, etc... out to 100 yds or so. At 50 yds or so ground squirrels are no problem, although the .45 is a bit much gun for them. My chamber seems fine, but I have not measured fired cases yet other than sticking a couple in the cylinder of my Blackhawk just to see if they fit, and they did. I do not have experience with the others mentioned, but I do like my Marlin and I have several other Marlins as well. JW

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you all for your input. Much appreciated!

+1 for the Henry Big boy steel...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-7 45 colt.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	198944Sweet shooter and smooth as they get. I own quite a few Marlins, 336's and 1894's, the Henry is very nice.

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    Have a couple Rossi, a japchester and a Marlin in 45 Colt. Yea I like the caliber !

The japchester is a 24" barrel and shoots all I have fed it with little issue. It is a beautiful rifle BUT you need to get rid of that rebound hammer "extra leg" off the hammer strut. It will eventually cause a light strike. Remove the rear stock and with a Jewlers cut off file remove it. Took me a whole 15 minutes. But then I have done several. Take any sane load you can feed it.

The Marlin is an older JM. Shoots fine if you get a fat enough cast in the barrel. Take any sane power load you can feed it. Can be finicky with fat flat nose cast. But for ours we just use a case mouth deburring tool and round off the sharp corner of the FN. Feeds much better.

The two Rossi's are old Interarms imports and were /are never an issue. Feed, fire, eject just like a model 92 should. Both are 30 years old+ back when Navy Arms was telling Rossi the law. These two go hunting far more than the others. A Model 92 whether a Winchester or Rossi carry far better in my size small hands.

We do have 2 Steel Big Boy Henry Rifles. One a 41 mag and the other a 357. Both are well made and never an issue. Far easier to get an accurate load brewing than the Marlin 41 and 357 we own. But the Henry is a might heavier. Both worked right straight from the box. The steel Big Boy take any sane load we have fed them with no issue.

If I needed another 45 Colt I would buy a Henry or Rossi. The japchesters are costly ! Got mine used from a shop that did not want a jap nothing on the shelf. Came to them in a group. But they are well made. I would not buy a Remlin. Have seen to many that are "inspected junk" ! Some are OK. Ya hear about one off and on. An old JM Marlin.. They work. But ya have to get a fat enough bullet in the throat, Ranch Dog special designed a mold just for that. Those shoot well !
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Mold
    The Cowboy Shop is the home of the SHORT STROKE 1873
    Developed By
    Lone Dude and Cody Conagher
    "Jot your serial number down because,
    when you get your firearm back,
    you'll swear it is a different gun!"

http://codyscowboyshop.com/

The short stroke came onto the scene around 2002. Don (Cody Conagher) Jones and Lone (Tony Rogers) Dude brought the shortstroke along at that time. I own a 20" Uberti 1873 Border Deluxe with the their short stroke of the time. I also own two 357s that were shortstroked by their methods and they are a testament of the progress of the shortstroke. Different lever travels. I also own an Uberti 30" Border Deluxe in 45 Colt that is a virgin.

If you want to play cowboy FAST!, get a '73. The Marling runs as fast but is too light for my liking. Very sensitive on the swing. If you want strong hell for leather lever guns, get the Henry, Marlin, '92, and the '94. The Marlin is the only one of these that will run fast enough for cowboy.

The '73s are not meant to handle a lot of bolt thrust. Most cowboys shoot light loads, not only for the firearm, but the steel targets. Even a few thousand rounds of mouse loads will warp Ar500 steel.

And those things are expensive! Especially if you want a really fast cowboy rifle. Been there, done that.

https://www.redcentcustomleather.com/

Banned

The 5th generation kit by Jim Bowie who invented the short stroke 73 is the way to go.
    Cowboys and Indians store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast