Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackbox
Load DataSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What spotting scopes do you use with big bore single shot

Boolit Master

What spotting scopes do you use with big bore single shot

Its time for me to buy a spotting scope. Primary use will be for shooting single shots without scopes (45-70).

My range goes out to 600yd. Most of my shooting will be at 50 and 200.

Im looking at Bushnell Elite and Vortex Razor 20-60 on the high end. I have also considered the compact Minox MD 16-30x50. Not sure i always want to take a large expensive spotting scope if i dont need it. I have even thought a good pair of binoculars could work.

Looking for advice. What works for you.

Ok, here's what works for me - for 100 - 200 yards 12x Binoculars work pretty good. My backup is a 90mm scope by Celestron (works multipurpose as Stargazing scope, Telephoto lens, Spotting Scope). But neither is good out to 600 for me and I shoot 1,000+ so I invested in a 2.4 Ghz Camera system - Which was cheaper than my spotting scope and as long as I have line of sight to the camera is good over a mile away.

To make your own TV system you will need
    - Transmitter and Receiver units with rubber whip antenna (close range use)
    - two 12 volt battery packs one for receiving end and the other the sending end
    - Camera and Tripod to hold it up (I also the battery as steadying weight
    - Yaggi Antenna and staff to hold it up (gets signal above brush so I can get line of sight)
    - 12 volt TV/Monitor
    - Case to hold Trans/'ceiver, TV, Camera, cables, Battery Chargers and battery
    and table to setup on.

You can buy all this for cheaper than a commercial unit like Bullseye but some of the
    commercial offer advantage of being able to talk to a laptop and recording your shots.
    So you pay your money you make your choices.

Because I'm retired and didn't want to spend lots of money I hit the second hand store
    picked up an older Video Camera - gutted the dead battery and made my own 12V adapter
    for it's power - hit Harbor Freight and picked up a jump battery to power it and the transmitter
    picked up a good but used tripod - picked up an IV stand to hold the Yaggi Antenna
    Found a 12 volt TV at discount store but until I did I used the 12 volt 9" backup screen from my
    RV unit - found a used Harbor Freight case at the goodwill - ordered from hongkong Yaggi antenna
    Short range whip antenna's (never power transmitter/receiver without antenna on it) and the cables
    as well as 2.4 Ghz pair of 4 channel Transmitter / Receiver units.
    Using an inexpensive card table next to my shooting table to view.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

I purchased a Konus 20-60x80mm from Creedmoor Sports a few years back for the purpose of Highpower competition. It's a good scope for that game as you're primarily looking at either the spotting discs or golf tees they plug into your holes in the pits, and you get pretty good contrast with those. They claim .30 cal visibility at 300 yards, and for the most part, I'd agree with that. On a black center, you may have to work for it a little. It's not a flouride-coated Kowa, but for a little over 200 bucks, it's a good buy.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Grand Master

I have been using a set of celestron 25x X 100mm binoculars for the last couple years for spotting shilouettes. They work good for bullet holes also. Eye strain and fatigue is less since both eyes are working together. Watching mirage seems easier also. I have 2 Kowas a 77mm and a 82mm that are very good also but pretty pricey. A Meade astrological scope in 100mm with the appropriate eye piece and reverser dose good also. The binoculars were $300.00 a few years ago. Mine are mounted on a heavy tripod and do a great job spoting shots.

Boolit Master
    I use a Bushnell Ultra Legend HD 80mm scope. It's variable from 20-60x. It works very well to 300 yards for paper targets and works well for steel targets to 900 yards, I haven't shot steel further than that. With respect to picking up subtle mirage detail, it's not quite as good as a big Kowa, but pretty close.

Chris.

Boolit Master
    Oh, if you shoot prone you'll probably want an angled eye piece.

Chris.

Boolit Master

I have tried several low to mid range spotting scopes over my lifetime with so so to dismal results. I finally bought a Kowa with an angled 20x eyepiece. The variable eyepieces aren't quite as sharp as the fixed power ones. At least to my eyes they aren't. Do not expect to see 22 cal bullet holes at 500 yards but you can see a bullet hit on metal that far just fine. Shooting high power matches it works fine also. Think about what you want to see and buy once.

gmsharps

I use a 1950's Argus 20X. I bought it on Ebay about 10 years ago for $80.00 to my front door in a Freeland stand along with a Freeland 36" extension to the stand. Optics are a little fuzzy around the edges, but clear and sharp in the center 80%. I can spot 30 cal holes at 200 yards with ease. I have no tried it beyond that range.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    Thee are some good points I havent thought of. Now im leaning toward a compact spotting scope with angled eye peice and a camera set up.

Boolit Master

Spotting Scopes

The optics should be good enough to see the atmosphere between you and your target. By focusing the scope to a point between you and the target, you'll be able to read the mirage and thus estimate the wind's affect on you bullet with good consistency when the conditions are right.

My solution has been these two scopes. A lightweight Leupold 20X (sealed against fog and rubber armored) for military and hunting use and my old B&L 20 power for on the range.

Don't skimp on the stand and cradle. As noted by Chargar above, if you can find an old Freeland stand, you'll be in good shape, but there are others that can be found at "Champions Choice" or "Creedmore Armory."
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scope B&L 20X.jpg   Leopold 20X.jpg  
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Grand Master

I have a nice heavy stand with a lot of adjustment and height from standing to prone. It came from Jarhead top.com? ( I bought this 20 years ago) from a fellow named Jim Owens. Its a solid light weight stand that collapses into a small package. All Aluminum and light weight. A nice addition to the stands is a wind spike to go in the ground to help stabilize it and keep bumps or wind from knocking them over. He also sold score books and wind charts back then

Boolit Master
    I am not a competition shooter. Just wanted a scope for the convenience of it, ie, I did not want to spend a lot. So got a Simmons 20-60X for $90.

Yes, it is not the greatest, but, can see .50 cal holes clearly out to 300m, maybe further if you have a good mount. The tripod it comes with is not very solid, but, works for me. If I need to do more longer range work I'll make a solid mount for it.

It all comes down to what you need it for. If I shot at 500+ regularly I'd invest in a remote camera system or better scope. At 200 or less the cheap scope works.

I guess the important point here is that the tripod mount is more important than the scope itself for long range work.

Boolit Grand Master

The tri pod or In the freelands case bipods rigidity when set up makes a big difference. In high power a lot use a wind spike to help dampen and or anchor the stand scope combo. On a bench stand or concrete line a 10Lb lead weight will help to steady it also. On most tripods there now way to fasten it under neath though. The weight needs to be suspended off the ground under the stand to "pull" it tight. One unique set up I see is a 4"-6" c-clamp with a rod welded to it to mount the scope to a bench edge.

For the 50-200 yd range, almost any decent 20x will find holes in paper. And if you're shooting dingers at 600 yds. a 20x will see hits also. But holes punched in paper at 600 yds. wont show well with a 20x, even if it's a good one.
    I use a 20x Kowa for almost all my range work, and it's a wonderful old scope! I bought it from a guy at our gun club used for $20, and it's one of my best scores ever! But I have an old "Mayflower" brand spotting scope that is 15x-50x. No idea of how they stacked up to other scopes of it's period, but it appears to be very high quality. Cost me a whopping $30 from a friend at a gun show. I can see .30 caliber bullet holes at 600 yds. fine with it.
    I purchased a very heavy duty tall tripod for my spotting scope use. $15 at a swap meet. It's pretty heavy, but it can also be finely adjusted in the tripod, so it's easy to get on a target. And being heavy I can bump it slightly and not have it go way off target. Or have it wiggle around in the wind!

Last edited by marlinman93; 07-01-2017 at 07:17 PM.

Kowa 20X60X82

Boolit Master
    Actually Jim Owens is where I got my Konus 20x60x80 spotting scope from some years back. Had an old good camera tripod and the two work great. Had some idiot pick it up so he could check his target without asking. Needless to say there were a few well chosen words directed at him. RO checked for his membership and range safety card which he didn't have either. Turns out he was not a member and booted off the private range. They now have a card reader and CCTV camera that records everyone coming and going. Has cut way down the sneakers. Folks that loan out the cards have their memberships cancelled. Frank

Boolit Grand Master

My good kowa is 27x LER X 82mm and on decent days 30 cal holes will show in the black, But then who shoots in the white LOL. Using much more than 30X I had problems with mirage and eye relief start to show. Get on a damp range that's warming up quick or hot and the mirage can become an issue. Another thing that matters is the direction your range faces North is ideal the sun lights the target face and theres no Glare on the scope lenses. South the lense is bright and the face is in shadow.

Boolit Grand Master

Jim Owens had some really good info on reading wind with mirage and flags also.

Boolit Master
    I also use the Simmons 20x-60x. Charlie B did a good job of describing the good and bad aspects. I have no trouble seeing even 22 holes in plain paper at 100 yards, out at 200-300 it depends a little on wind and heat effects but it is easy to see splash type target holes.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master
    Creedmoor Sports sells a really nice prone spotting scope stand called the Pole Cat. I bought one a couple of years ago and it's excellent. It's similar to the Freeland one, but has a different head.

Chris.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast