RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PPU brass 6.5 x55 ?

Boolit Buddy

PPU brass 6.5 x55 ?

What's your opinion/experiences with PPU brass in 6.5 Swedish ? I need brass and was actually thinking of buying and shooting the PPU loaded ammo 139gr , SP & FMJ enjoy the jacketed and save the brass....I handload those bullets and the ammo isn't much more than the brass... I've had good success with PPU brass in 7.62x54R So , how's 6.5x55 brass quality ?

Boolit Master
    I have used PPU brass in several caliber, 6.5 jap, 7.7 jap ,9.3x62 and others. I find it ok with no problems
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Buddy
    thanks , I'll try it

Boolit Bub
    I use various calibers of PPU ammunition and brass. By the way, PPU also sells empty brass. Some of the reloading outlets have it, and Grafs has it and I believe Midway as well.
    Go peacefully; teach the ignorant, comfort the distressed. Always be kind. Wear clean underwear and carry a gun.

Boolit Master

PPU Brass is much better than Hornady brass in 6.5x55.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

I am using PPU brass exclusively for 22-250 Rem and .243 Win with warm loads and I like it. Monarch brand ammo with brass cases from Academy is also PPU- good ammo good price.
    Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master
    What was your experience with the PPU brass Tedly?

Boolit Master
    My experience has been positive as well. Use it in 6.5 for a bolt and a ljungman. The ljungman isn't exactly easy on brass and I've never had problems with it.
    I do keep it separate from the bolt brass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I won't touch the stuff. I've tried using both 6.5 Grendel and 7.62x54R PPU brass with dismal results. Primer pockets too deep on the Russians and too loose on the Grendels. Pure ****.
    Make no mistake -- They will remember how easily you surrendered your rights.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Bohica793 View Post
    I won't touch the stuff. I've tried using both 6.5 Grendel and 7.62x54R PPU brass with dismal results. Primer pockets too deep on the Russians and too loose on the Grendels. Pure ****.
    and if you get a primer to stay in the Grendel the neck will split in 3 to 4 loading .. even tried to anneal them ..Not worth the trouble
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Buddy
    ppu brass=good stuff

Boolit Buddy
    Have used it in my tikka t3 with warm loads loaded several times and no problems in 6.5x55.

Boolit Master

What primer brand are you using? PPU in the 7.62x54R brass are some of my favorite range pickups
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

I bought 200 each of 7.62X54R and 303 Brit. from Graf's. I've had no problems with it. I have even neck turned some of the Russian and the necks are very uniform. Gp

Boolit Master
    The PPU brass that I have used is pretty good. I have at least 100 of most of these - 6.5X55, .303 Brit, 8X57, 7X57, 7.65 Mauser and 6.5 Jap.
    I also had some 9.3X62 Mauser that looked really good but since I did not have a 9.3X62 I traded it off.
    EDG

Boolit Buddy
    I had issues with some PPU brass and my RCBS shell holder for 6.5x55. It gives me no issues with other brass just PPU. Lapua brass treats me very well but they charge plenty for it.

Boolit Master
    PPU being a European (native metric user) uses all CIP and European standards for the brass that originated in that part of the world.
    You will find that 6.5X55, 7X57 and 7.65 Mauser brass all have different heads that the American versions and may need a different shell holder.
    Norma brass also varies from US brass when the US standards are different from the Europeans.
    You may find that Norma 7X57 rims will bend when using the American size shell holders.

Quote Originally Posted by .455 Webley View Post
    I had issues with some PPU brass and my RCBS shell holder for 6.5x55. It gives me no issues with other brass just PPU. Lapua brass treats me very well but they charge plenty for it.
    EDG

Boolit Mold
    I have used up several bags of PPU brass in 6.5X55 as well as several other chamberings. I had one bag of 6.5X55 where a few of the necks cracked upon the first loading, immediately annealed the rest from that batch and have had zero issues since. I believe the PPU brass to be very good quality in my opinion and reasonably priced to boot. Obviously some others have had a bit of a different experience with it.

Boolit Master
    When I built my 6.5 on a 93 action, I bought a few boxes of ppu 139gr to sight it in, and have since loaded the brass 4 times. I don't load it warm, so far the brass is in great shape, and it should last awhile longer. Great brass!

I've converted 7.62x54r to 8x50r and I too have found the primer pocket way to deep, being shot in a double rifle, will fire in the right barrel, occasionally in the left barrel. the primers are visibly much deeper than on anything else I load.

I have used PPU brass in 6.5x55 with no problems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast