Titan ReloadingLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Thompson center/contender ..any following??

Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    I looked for years for a Hawkeye, when I found one the price had gotten unreasonable. The 10 inch TC barrel is a ball, great grounhog killer. The 24 inch is more better, still no Magnus, but that's a good thing to me
    Grab that setup if its available, every contender nut needs more than one frame
    rking22 ...........that was the big reason I sold my Hawkeye.............the price was over the moon in '98 and mine was in the presentation wooden box ! and
    it did look really nice !!!

Ol Deuce
    Do the Best with What you have !

Boolit Master
    Yep, its hard to just hold on to something that is way more valuable to someone else. I liked the novelty of them but not to the market prices in the mid 80s when I found one. I also never buy like new in the box, cause it ain't gonna be for long! That picture of the Win 256s brought back memories, only load I ever saw in 256. That little 60 Gr hp would puff crows pretty good from my 10 inch barrel. Last box I saw at a gun show had a 100$ price tag !
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Yep, its hard to just hold on to something that is way more valuable to someone else. I liked the novelty of them but not to the market prices in the mid 80s when I found one. I also never buy like new in the box, cause it ain't gonna be for long! That picture of the Win 256s brought back memories, only load I ever saw in 256. That little 60 Gr hp would puff crows pretty good from my 10 inch barrel. Last box I saw at a gun show had a 100$ price tag !
    Now the the white SuperX box is a cool $125 this box was new in 1962 the begenning of the 256win mag !!!! time sure flys when your having fun!

Boolit Master

OlDeuce
    I think it is the Hornady manual that says (I paraphrase here of course) the Wasp's position of accuracy was overtaken with the advent of 222 because shooters found it more fun to spend time shooting than forming brass for the Wasp.

I usually make it a 4-5 step process (not counting reaming neck and fire forming brass) from 30-30 - 219 Donaldson Wasp with a special die in there for two steps
    My Wasp is in a Rolling Block.
    Last edited by TCLouis; 08-10-2017 at 10:55 PM.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Quote Originally Posted by TCLouis View Post
    OlDeuce
    I think it is the Hornady manual that says (I paraphrase here of course) the Wasp's position of accuracy was overtake with the advent of 222 because shooters found it more fun to spend time shooting than to be forming brass for the Wasp.
    TCLouis........LoL I believe the would be a true statement ........I myself was looking at the brass and the Zipper is right there with a neck adjustment ! to the 25-35 and that Wasp takes a bit of work to make it right!!!! This is cool stuff !

Ol Deuce

The 25-35 just may be the way to fly.........Not much difference ............Hmmm.

No matter what My plan is to keep my Contender as a rimmed shooter!!
    Ol Deuce

Boolit Master
    I like rimmed loads ssh well, but my 223 barrel has never given trouble. We generally set heads pace to the shoulder anyway, so the rim is just extractor handle on the bottle necks.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

I like rimmed loads ssh well, but my 223 barrel has never given trouble. We generally set heads pace to the shoulder anyway, so the rim is just extractor handle on the bottle necks.
    I really don't want to invite a problem of misfire !!! I've been a lifelong fan of the Rimmed Cartridge and I really don't want to dive in and change LoL!!

Ol Deuce

Boolit Master
    Set in my ways too, we like what we like. That said the only misfire issue I've really ever had was a Handi rifle barrel, 3030! They cut the darn rim recess too deep, too much headspace. I have to separate brass for that barrel and run it h eadspaced on the shoulder! Makes die adjustment a pain but im used to it from the Herrets.
    I always wanted a Donaldson Wasp when I was ground hog hunting. Read lots of stories about it as a kid. Almost rechambered a No-3 hornet , darn rountuits !

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 45workhorse View Post
    Forgot my 32-20 barrel.
    That little 32-20 barrel is SWEET! They were genius to make it a .308 bore.

https://youtu.be/4xmvR_pumPc

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tar Heel View Post
    That little 32-20 barrel is SWEET! They were genius to make it a .308 bore.

https://youtu.be/4xmvR_pumPc
    My favorite barrel.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678