RepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Thompson center/contender ..any following??

The Dowel trick is the only way to fly when changing the hammer spring !!!!!! It took 4 hands to get the job done at the bench !!!!!!
    We are heading out now to heat up this new barrel LoL

Ol Deuce
    Do the Best with What you have !

Quote Originally Posted by modified5 View Post
    Hmm, considering that ours are of similar vintage and I have no idea how many thousands of rounds have been put through this thing, I may need to order myself a pack of hammer springs.
    Glad it worked out for you. Looking forward to a range report.
    Got it on paper !!! No I've got to tighten the group LoL Was shooting really old loads just to get the Brass! I'll get a load worked up and give it a better sight
    in LoL She worked really good with the new spring !!!! No Miss Fires LoL

Ol Deuce

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OlDeuce View Post
    Got it on paper !!! No I've got to tighten the group LoL Was shooting really old loads just to get the Brass! I'll get a load worked up and give it a better sight
    in LoL She worked really good with the new spring !!!! No Miss Fires LoL

Ol Deuce
    What scope base is that, EGW?

Mcdaniel..........It's a weaver mount that came with the mounting screws !! it fit like a glove !!
    Thompson Center Contender & G2 Scope Mount, Weaver Picatinny
    Ol Deuce

WoW I just ordered a Bull Barrel from MGM and it's shipped already !!!!

Ol Deuce

Fast....Fast......fast I'm a happy Camper!!!!!
    Last edited by OlDeuce; 07-17-2017 at 07:12 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OlDeuce View Post
    WoW I just ordered a Bull Barrel from MGM and it's shipped already !!!!

Ol Deuce

Fast....Fast......fast I a happy Camper!!!!!
    What'd ya order?

Hahaha ooops a 24'' bull .44 mag

Ol Deuce

I have .223, 30-30,45/410 and the 45-70 Gov. I'm kind of a hand cannon kid of guy so I haven't changed by bbl from my 45-70 in years.
    "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Doggonekid View Post
    I have .223, 30-30,45/410 and the 45-70 Gov. I'm kind of a hand cannon kid of guy so I haven't changed by bbl from my 45-70 in years.
    I wounder how violent the 45-70 is in a 24'' in this light of a gun ????

Boolit Buddy
    As with all 45-70, how violent do you want it to be?

Boolit Master
    I once shot a 16 inch 357herret on my carbine stock with my pistol loads. I always thought it was fairly comfortable In the super 14 handgun. I found the carbine exceedingly unpleasant, it tried to relocate my cheekbone to my forehead! I would shoot the 4570 handgun much preferable to the carbine with th he same mass!
    My 14 inch 357herret has been on this frame for over 10 years, that's what happens when you find "the one" ! Then you go get another frame for paddling around
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    I once shot a 16 inch 357herret on my carbine stock with my pistol loads. I always thought it was fairly comfortable In the super 14 handgun. I found the carbine exceedingly unpleasant, it tried to relocate my cheekbone to my forehead! I would shoot the 4570 handgun much preferable to the carbine with th he same mass!
    My 14 inch 357herret has been on this frame for over 10 years, that's what happens when you find "the one" ! Then you go get another frame for paddling around
    Hahaha............OK........That put a picture in my brain Well your going to love this.....Just received a Brand New MGM
    barrel 3 hours ago !!! tomorrow I'm going to put it in the lathe and re-chamber it to my 44-56WC I just have to do it .......If it don't work

Ol Deuce

Boolit Master
    Interesting, what's the parent case 50basic or 45 70 or.....sorry too lazy to look it up myself
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    Interesting, what's the parent case 50basic or 45 70 or.....sorry too lazy to look it up myself
    the case is a 444 shortened to 2.080 ! This was all brought about for my Old 1894 Winchester!!! I have them loaded down for the old action! The Thompson
    is way better for doing these kinda things to !!! My New MGM 44mag barrel is re-chambered as of an hour ago !!!

Ol Deuce

For you guys that have not used a MGM Barrel on your Contender..............The Barrels are of Very High Quality and Fit like a glove !!! I ordered a 24''
    44 mag barrel ! It was shipped within a hour of my order. It was 3 days to have it in my Hands!!! The price is right when ya can't find what ya need!!!
    got it yesterday afternoon and this afternoon I re-chambered it to a wildcat 44-56WC ! tomorrow I will give her a test fire and see if I can put it on paper!!
    Very happy..............So Far>>>>>>>>>>>

Ol Deuce
    Last edited by OlDeuce; 07-20-2017 at 11:19 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Looking forward to a range report! If the chamber is cut straight, this barrel should be a shooter!!
    My "MGM" barrel is actually a Virgin Valley 14in pistol barrel in 45-70.
    The quality of this thing is magnificent and I'm sure that MGM continued the same quality.
    It is the nicest of the 7 barrels I own.
    You keep tempting me to buy the parts to turn mine into a carbine.

Quote Originally Posted by modified5 View Post
    Looking forward to a range report! If the chamber is cut straight, this barrel should be a shooter!!
    My "MGM" barrel is actually a Virgin Valley 14in pistol barrel in 45-70.
    The quality of this thing is magnificent and I'm sure that MGM continued the same quality.
    It is the nicest of the 7 barrels I own.
    You keep tempting me to buy the parts to turn mine into a carbine.
    The chamber is flawless .....It really came out Perfect .....Patmyselfontheback

I loaded a few 44 mag charges in the 2.070 cases!!! with the 209gr RN cast boolets When I did this tes in my 1894 26'' 1:18 twist
    I pooooped the 209gr out the pipe at over 1600fps with 47.3gr of WW748 Wow
    My earlier tests

Ol Deuce
    Last edited by OlDeuce; 07-21-2017 at 11:31 PM.

More information on my tests

Ol Deuce

This is what I did and it took about 20 minutes to complete

This Quote is from BILLM'S old web,page
    ...............................................................................................................
    Rationale behind the .44x356 Win.

I have both made and rechambered 100s of Contender barrels in .444 Marlin. It actually produces the most energy you can squeeze from a Contender. The case is the same as is used to make the renowned .375 JDJ, the pressure limits for both are exactly the same, but the .44 cal. bullet has a larger surface area for the pressure to act on, making the .444 more efficient than the .375 JDJ, bullet weight for bullet weight.

However, in handgun length barrels, the .444 case actually holds more powder than optimum. This means one has to go to larger charges of the fast-to-medium burning rate powders.

On the other hand, the much smaller .445 Super Mag. will produce essentially identical velocities in handgun length barrels with lighter charges of faster powders that burn more completely in handgun length barrels as short as 10."

I have chambered quite a few of the older, discontinued 12" Hunter barrels with the factory Muzzle Tamer brake in both .445 Super Mag. and .444 Marlin. Both work well in barrels this short, but the .445 and its faster powders work best.

The downside to .445 Super Mag is its thinner brass, and if steps are not taken to correct headspace problems created by the factory .44 Mag chamber having been cut a bit deep, as is usually the situation, the .445 brass will often separate within the first few firings.

The .356 Win. case represents the best of both worlds, thicker/stronger brass and a better balanced powder capacity.

Test firing this chamber in the 14" barrel pictured 05/06, I went all the way to 28 gr. of Blue Dot, which is on the fast side for even standard .44 Mag. This was with a 240 gr. bullet. No chronographing was done. I was simply curious to see how high the loading density might be with a powder this fast with rechambering curret production 12" .44 Mag. barrels to this cartridge in view.

With bullets seated as shown above, I am estimating the loading density to be 80% or higher. Pressures were sufficient to get a full form of the case, but certainly not maximum. The G2 frame it was test fired on opened easily, and cases fell out. Primer face indications showed pressures lower than where I normally stop with other rounds based on .444 Marlin and .307/.356 Win. cases.

Another key reason for revisiting this round, which by the way was once tested extensively by Don Bower who may have possibly been the originator of the round, is that unlike a .445 Super Mag. rechambering of a .44 Mag. barrel that leaves part of the original factory forcing cone in the barrel, the .356 Win. case opened to .44 is long enough to get rid of all of the original forcing cone, thus permitting me to cut an entirely new, true throat in the barrel for top accuracy.
    Last edited by OlDeuce; 07-23-2017 at 05:14 PM.

Banner Sponsor

Where is the best place to get the 2 piece bolts for a contender barrel? I have an octagon 45 Colt barrel with the 1 piece bolt and it won't lock up on my frame.
    The other calibers I have are 223, 30-30, 309JDJ, 357 Mag, 357 Max, 357 Herrett, 375 Win, and 45-70. I used to have a 22lr Match bbl, but it grew legs
    Last edited by lar45; 07-23-2017 at 06:37 PM.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast