WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Thompson center/contender ..any following??

Boolit Buddy
    lar45, try Bellm T/C. He has everything for them.

[QUOTE=lar45;4107076]Where is the best place to get the 2 piece bolts for a contender barrel? I have an octagon 45 Colt barrel with the 1 piece bolt and it won't lock up on my frame.

What is the 2 piece bolts for a contender barrel? These are new to me !!! "I sure like what the do ! "

Ol Deuce
    Do the Best with What you have !

Boolit Buddy
    I have 2 frames and several bbl's, 357 Max, 7mm TCU, 41 mag, 44 mag, 45-70 and 7.62x39 is what I use the most. All are 14" bbl's open sights. I would not part with any of them. I used a Ransom Rest to sight them in and to test loads and at 50 yds shooting 5 shot groups there is just 1 hole in the paper target. The 41 and the 44 mag will use 1 clean hole for all 5 shots the others are all overlapping making 1 slightly larger hole. Both the 7.62x39 and the 45-70 are custom made prior to TC making a 45-70 bbl. One frame is the 1st generation frame and not strong enough for the 45-70 the other is a G2 frame. The Contender out of the box is far more accurate then I can shoot and my Ransom Rest has proved it.

Boolit Master
    Addictive is the word all right. Got my first Contender with two barrels as a gift in 1978. Now I am up to five frames (all old style) and sixteen barrels. I also have one Encore with two barrels. What is the favorite - the 32/20 10" and it goes on all trips. If you love tinkering with loads, the Contenders are the best platform I know of to feed that bad habit of fixing things that "ain't broke".

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by modified5 View Post
    lar45, try Bellm T/C. He has everything for them.
    It is my understanding that Mike Bellm's website crashed and there were no backups. They are working on getting it back up but lots of the info there was lost.

This is a link that someone had posted That I ran across and its got all the Info Wow!!

http://web.archive.org/web/201012071...ex.php?cid=562

It works!!

Ol Deuce

Boolit Buddy
    First T/C Nov.24 1974! 135.00 OTD 22mag. Second barrel cost $50. 22Mag. shells cost $2.97!!!!
    Present inventory 4-Contender frames 1 Encore.
    Barrels 32H&R,357Max. 2-44Mag.,338JDJ. Encore 308WIN,260Rem.
    When I started shooting TCs , I went several years without knowing anyone that shot them.

BigboreShooter

Boolit Master
    The 2piece locking bolt was an upgrade done prior to mid 80s. Look at the spring loaded locking bolt a the rear bottom of your barrel. If it is split vertically it is already a 2 piece.
    Back in the TC days, I had bought a barrel that someone had "worked over" read that messed up. I called TC to buy parts to replace the bolt in that barrel. The real human on the other asked about my other barrels. They sent me 5 new locking lugs and a slew of sight screws and and misc parts. No cost and was in the mailbox in a few days. That was 1985ish. Therefore I assume that all newer barrels carry the 2 piece bolt.
    And I miss the old TC !
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

My little brother told me <Some time ago he bought a 1st gen TC and when it fired the barrel would drop open!! he called them than sent the whole thing back to them and the CO. sent him a Brand New TC!! he was over the moon !!!!!! it was just an old used Contender !!

Ol Deuce Thanks for that Info !

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by OlDeuce View Post
    My little brother told me <Some time ago he bought a 1st gen TC and when it fired the barrel would drop open!! he called them than sent the whole thing back to them and the CO. sent him a Brand New TC!! he was over the moon !!!!!! it was just an old used Contender !!

Ol Deuce Thanks for that Info !
    That happened with me too. I bought a very old Contender from a friend and it started to drop open upon firing. I called TC and they had me ship it back. I got a new G2 for my troubles! The triggers are different and the grip geometry is too, but it is still a new gun.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    Check with SSK.
    Leadmelter

Boolit Master
    I really like my Encore frames and barrels, I have three frames two committed for handguns and one for my carbine Marlin 450 with muzzle brake. Extra rifle barrels as follows; 30-06, 457 GNR, 45-70, 50 caliber muzzle loader. Handgun barrels, 460 S&W, 6.8 SPC, 338 Federal, 7mm-08, 475 Linebaugh, 375 GNR, they are all fun to shoot and accurate.

My Barrel count is now 3...........20'' match in .22 , a bull 24'' in 30-30 WCF, and now my new 24'' MgM in 44 mag

Ol Deuce

My Barrel count is now 3...........20'' match in .22 , a bull 24'' in 30-30 WCF, and now my new 24'' MgM in 44 mag now re-chambered in my 44-56WC
    using the 444 brass cut back to 2.080

Ol Deuce

Guys.........I'm totally impressed with the 44-56WC in the Contender shooting a 209gr cast RN with 47.4 gr of WW748 WoW....It seems to have more wiggle room working up a better load other than using Winchester 748 powder . The other side of the coin is.....I loaded up a .44 mag load and It felt , soundedlike,
    and shot like a .44mag !!! 2 in one and maybe more !!! I'm Liking this a lot!!!

Ol Deuce

Barbie just retrieved my target LoL
    Ol Deuce

Boolit Buddy
    That is respectable for the first shots in finding the sweet spot.
    It is well within minute of deer and will do the job nicely!
    I like it!

Boolit Buddy
    I have several barrels for my Contender, but living in Commiefornia, I can't buy a 45LC/410 barrel. BUUUUT, before TC got federal approval for the 45LC/410 barrel, they had the "Hot Shot" in 44 & 357 Mag. These are legal in CA, not being considered a short barreled shotgun. I have the 44 and 357 Hot Shot barrels with the choke on the end. I think TC was the only maker of such barrels, and thank God! Now I only need to figure out how to get non-toxic shot in there for hunting. Commiefornia sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by modified5 View Post
    That is respectable for the first shots in finding the sweet spot.
    It is well within minute of deer and will do the job nicely!
    I like it!
    After talking with my Little Brother........I went back and checked my loads !! well using the dipper system puts me under charged on a few ,over charged on a few and very few right on the money I'm not going to change much,but finding that Zero kinda as best as I can hold her steady !!
    repeat the last shot !!! I'm going to scale each dip only to get somewhat consistent repeat !!! That Kentucky windage does work when you know your
    gun!!!! this Tender Gun is all new to me!!! The Power of each shot was a good hit if your Hunting!

I'll keep ya all posted !!! Getting the first 100 perfected means that the 200 mark will be harder to come-by!

Ol Deuce

Boolit Buddy
    Are these your fireforming shots?
    Accuracy will get better after all the cases are consistent.
    I can put 3 in a 3/8 hole at 100 with my 7mm L&L barrel.
    It is a shooter!
    The guy I bought my contender from went with an encore pistol.
    He had a custom barrel in .338/.284 winchester.
    What a shooter that thing is. We were hitting a 24 inch diameter rock at 300 yards consistently with his fire form loads. It was so much fun!

My contender is probably the one gun I would never get rid of.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast