RepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee Precision
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Bumping up from .308 to .311 diameter

Bumping up from .308 to .311 diameter

If you have a die set for .308 cal and want to make .311 cal bullets. What dies would you order? I'm hoping to get away with a point form die but figured a few of you diemakers my have an insight.

Thanks in Advance.

I'm loading .311 cast in .308/7.62 cases with standard RCBS .308 dies.

I am sure I can load .308 jacketed bullets in my .303 Brit but they would rattle down the .311 bore and it would be a waste of a bullet. I load cast bullets for my .303 Brit at .312 and they shoot great but I'd like to do some jacketed bullets.

311 core seat and point form

Agreed. One might get away with just the point form but the finished product might be out-of-round. I have a CH4D 312 set that I have used to bump up 110gr 308 (30 Carbine) up to 312 suitable for the AK47. I am relying on the nose of the bullet to center the bullet up in the point form die.

Quote Originally Posted by uncle dino View Post
    311 core seat and point form

Ok, that makes sense I was hoping to get by with a point form does but might as well do it right.

Thanks for the input

Boolit Master
    One way I've been able to get very good accuracy with .308s in a .311 is to use bullets intended for .30-30 and load them fairly stoutly. The thin jackets and soft cores will bump up on firing very effectively, but you'll be limited as to point styles.

Boolit Master
    I also used 308 diameter for 30/30. Sierra pro hunters .They where the hollow point 125 and 150 grain in my sks. They where accurate out to 200 yards. I knew a older gun smith who told me that they shot good in a sks so I tried it. At first I didint thank they would shoot good but they surprised me.

I appreciate the insight, I'll have to you around with those loads. I'm more interested in making 174-178gr bullets for my .303 Brit.

Boolit Buddy
    I have bumped up 147gr nato bullets up to .312 dia in a die I made myself. They will not get a prize for looks. They have a shortened boat tail and the point is now a straight taper. They shot well in a no 3 enfield I have. About as well as the nato bullets shot in some of my 308 guns. About 3" at 100 yds. It bumped up easy on my rock chucker.
    n.h.schmidt

Boolit Buddy
    You might try powder coating, then push through a .311 Lee sizer. One coat of a high quality powder like Eastwood's will increase your diameter to .312 or more and you should be able to compress it down to .311 with a sizer. You will get zero copper fouling as well. I made some Jacketed rebated boattails, PC'd them and resized them. They came out at .309, probably due to spring back, and shot them from my FN Patrol Rifle, using a minimum load, and they shot fine no problem and no excess pressure signs, other than the crack of the shots seemed sharper. That was .309 in a .308, so .311 in a .311 should be OK. This was just me experimenting as I don't need to bump anything up myself so I haven't done a bunch of it with jacketed bullets. It would be a harmless and much cheaper way to go than buying dies! Maybe I will try one more with a .309 sizer and see if they come out .310 but not shoot it. I don't want to test the pressure gods too far.

Now that's an interesting idea....