Load DataInline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: .38 Special/Red Dot

.38 Special/Red Dot

I've finally loaded Red Dot in the .38special.
    I had a gift catd from Academy so I got 300 Hornady swaged 158 swchp. I've loaded them with 3.5 grs and Win sp primers. As a control load (haha-I've always wanted to say that) I used CCI sp primers and the Lee 150 SWC. I will try these in 2 4" K-frames, a Ruger Blackhawk 4-5/8", and a 20" Rossi Puma. It's a little crunchy going thru my old Redding but the weight stayed uniform for the powder charges.
    Maybe it will become a favorite.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I like Red Dot. Been using it lately in a lot of firearms. Very versatile IMO. Much like Bullseye. I think you will be happy.

I've used it for my 12 gauge mainly with occaisional CB rifle use but never .38 or any other handgun save for .45ACP. I doubt I notice the difference from Bullseye-my all time standard non magnum powder.

Boolit Master

When I was shooting trap I used Red Dot exclusively for. 38 and. 44 special. But when I quit after the club failed, I went back to Bullseye. You will not be disappointed but there is not enough difference to stock both for the 38 Special.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

I still use it with 1-1/8oz #7-1/2 shot for dove and varmints in AA hulls. I just seem to hit better with thesr than promotional Wally World

Boolit Master
    Really like Red Dot/Promo in 38 Spl. My go to 38 Spl. load for paper punching is the Lyman 358242 (121 gr) over Red Dot/Promo 4.2 gr. Very accurate in every 38 or 357 chamber (pistol or rifle)I've tried.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I started out using Bulls Eye in my 38s - but when powder got short and I couldn't get it, I was able to get some Red Dot in 1# container. Tried it, liked it but still kept looking for BE. I finally bought a 8# jug of Red Dot and now, it's my "go to" for just about everything. I still have other powders on the shelf but I use RD in my 38s - Colt Short/Long and Special, 45 Colt, 30-30, 8mm Mauser, etc. What can I say other than "it just works"!

I have a whole handful of good recipes for Red Dot in Rifles. And I am pretty pleased with what I have been loading in 9mm, .40sw and .45acp also.

Good stuff as long as you are ok with what it is and does.

It is not normally going to be the very best powder in all calibers and give you the top bleeding edge speed.

But it is thrifty, does work in everything if you are willing to keep the speed backed off a little and works well with cast.

I have shot 9mm from 3 to 4.5 grains and they all shot well. .40 SW my first loads came out sooty so I went up half a grain and hey presto, happy campers.

My single most accurate load is 4.6 grains of Red Dot in a .357 mag handi rifle below a 158 gr round nose lee boolit. But my .444 Marlin handi is not far behind it.

I guess I need to change my name to RedDotFanBoi

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post

I guess I need to change my name to RedDotFanBoi
    LOL... I am not too far behind ya there...

Boolit Master
    first cartage I ever loaded was .38spl with my own cast 358429 and 3.5 gr. red dot. I still use it. now I use a 150 gr. swc. with 3.5 red dot.

Red dot is exceptionally versatile powder, but I've used most of it in my standard load for MP's 360640L hp bullet (125gr) which is on top of 4.2gr of red dot. I've tested with 4.0gr as well and a little over 4.2 but I settled on 4.2gr as it works for a wide array of bullet weights. I made a dipper out of a .30 carbine case to throw 4.2 of red dot and keep that in with my 310 tong tools to load that load specifically.

Red dot is also great in 9mm for jacketed loads, I loaded up 500 rounds of berrys plated 147gr on top of 3.3gr of the stuff. I've used red dot in lots of gallery loads for .30 caliber rifles as well....it really does have a lot of uses and is a little more flexible than unique I think for the under .40 calibers.
    My firearms project blog

My standard 38 spcl load for about the past five years has been 3.5 gr Red Dot under a Lyman 35891 WC, as cast. I started out using Red Dot in college (more than a few years ago) to reload trap loads for my shotgun, back when it was actually cheaper to do that. Since that time I have never been out of a can of RD; it's extremely versatile for any cast boolit application, and works well in most.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Grand Master
    Red Dot/Promo is my most stocked powder. 8 jugs. Trap, light game loads, defensive shotgun loads, cast rifle and pistol loads. Like GH says, it will not be optimum in every situation but it will work well. I do not need to squeeze every FPS out of load anyway.
    Don Verna

Groan- I have to wait till Indepence Day to shoot. Can't wait!

Boolit Buddy
    Been burning 3.0gr Red Dot with #358495 and others , works great...uncle gave it to me for free.

Boolit Buddy
    Another fan of the 3.5 grains Red Dot in 38 special here. I load it with cast 158 SWC for my favorite 38 load and Lee's .50cc measuring spoon works just right and is plenty good enough for my purposes.
    Last edited by Mohawk Daddy; 06-30-2017 at 06:55 PM.