Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: Injection Molded Replacement for Corbin ULD Tips

Injection Molded Replacement for Corbin ULD Tips

M.A.D and I have been tossing around a new design to replace the Corbin ULD tips. For those of you that use Corbin ULD tips this should be a direct replacement for Corbins .284-.323 caliber tip. For those of you familiar with Corbin's ULD tip, they are quite large, and I don't see any reason these tips cannot be used in large calibers up to 50 BMG. I have included models and cross sections in the attached drawing PDF.

Unlike our previous tips that used the jacket to seat the tip and are more suitable for .223-.308 calibers, these have a stem that seat into the bullet core. The majority of the design changes made are to allow these tips to be injection molded and still hold up. Since plastic tips aren't as rigid as the steel Corbin tip, support material was added and the tip was domed. Doming the tip will not decrease the B.C. value as the difference between a sharp point and a dome tip is negligible if any.

If you are currently using the Corbin ULD tips, these tips are designed to work with your current tooling. No additional tooling needed. If you do not have Corbin ULD die set these tips may still be used but either clearance needs to be allowed for the stem or you can snip the stem off and seated them in the same way you would seat the previous tips.

This is still a working design, you are welcome to look over the prints, make suggestions and let us know what you'd like to see. Obviously any finial design will be a compromise of suggestions aimed at making this tip fit the needs of the majority of interested parties.

Plastic Tip.PDF

I'm in...d

If there is interest sound off. M.A.D wants to see if there's enough interest in the concept to make it worth his time to make a mold.

Well we have one on board.... I personally believe this tip will need to be crimped in place

Boolit Buddy

Can you use these with standard point form dies? I have a 6S set of .308 dies from BT Sniper. I would be interested if I did not need any additional hardware beyond a punch or something.

M.A.D has a tip that will work with standard point form dies. If you look up a previous thread called Ballistic Tips I have examples there. You can shoot him a PM to order some.

These tips are really designed to replace the ULD Corbin tip, which is a fairly expensive tip.

I was thinking about the fit last night. If done properly the stem should be a pretty close, to perhaps a slight interference fit into the cavity formed by the preform punch. So seating the tip shouldnt require the jacket fit to be the primary means by which the tip is secured into the bullet.

Boolit Buddy
    I'd buy some for my 30 ULD bullets I make now

I know either tip size will work with the 338 dies

I have concern that the smaller tip will be too small for my 375 and 510 ULD bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by ohnomrbillk View Post
    I'd buy some for my 30 ULD bullets I make now

I know either tip size will work with the 338 dies

I have concern that the smaller tip will be too small for my 375 and 510 ULD bullets.
    When you run you .375 and .510 bullets through the ULD tipping die. How far can you close up the meplate? Can you close it up to .200?

The print looks to me as the large tip..correct...d

The tip modeled is the .284-.323 tip Corbin offers which is the smaller of the two tips offered by Corbin. The second page of the print shows a side by side comparison of Corbin's tip to this tip. If there's more insterest for an injection molded tip that replaces the .323-.510 Corbin tip I can work on that.