Snyders JerkyWidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: Induction cookstove

Boolit Master

Induction cookstove

I have been looking to replace the old stove we have with a new one. Gas is not an option as we have an all-electric house. I have become intrigued by the induction stovetops that are on the marketplace. In particular Frigidaire/Kenmore has a unit that is full induction cooktop with a convection oven for $1,299. I have read all of the advantages/disadvantages but I wanted to come here and ask if anyone has used an inductive cooktop and what they thought of it.

I like the fact that I can still use my cast iron, in fact it is a desirable cookware for this technology. They say that the technology provides very quick high heat when you need it, very gently warming when you don't, and everything in between. I hope to get some insight from those who have used it and may have one of their own.

Here is a link to one I am considering:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/frigidai...?skuId=1558487
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Master
    I worked in a restaurant that ran exclusively vollrath induction burners after their remodel. Phenomenal cooking speed, even faster than gas. The only downside was you need certain pans for them to work not all of our old skillets worked. The newer models may have been improved since my last use (~10 yrs?). Scorching was a bit of a problem at first since we weren't used to instant heat but we adapted quickly. I'd buy em again in a heartbeat.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

What I did when thinking about buying an induction cook top for my island top back years ago was to read the reviews very carefully. This is an example of what you find back then, if you look long enough you will find the yeah but reviews, I heard about pots just stopping working or a bowed bottom not working, like some of our big gumbo pots that we have used for years:

"Hi Everyone,

I've found your posts to be extremely informative when I was doing my homework prior to purchasing my new induction stove three weeks ago. Thank you.

I tested all of my pots' bottoms with a magnet and found that most of them attracted the magnet. I've been using the pots that tested positively for a couple of weeks ago. Suddenly I have a couple of pots that when placed on an induction burner I receive a message from the burner that they are not detected. This is supposed to indicate they are not induction-compatible. The burner shuts itself off and the pot doesn't heat. How could this be? The same pots on the same burners worked for the last two weeks?

To further complicate things, now some pots work on the large flex burner, but not on the round burners that are the proper size for the pot.

I am loathe to have even fewer pots now that are functional. Can anyone help me out with some ideas as to why some of these pots suddenly don't work any more?"

His answer was: "I do not know."

My idea is his pots or pans probably had a bow down in the bottom that kept them from sitting flat.

I bought a regular hot eye electric Jenn-Air stove top with quick change eyes that did not care what was put on it, it gets hot.
    Ed
    "Let us speak courteously, fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Teddy Roosevelt, May 13, 1903

Boolit Master
    I have an induction burner that is absolutely the best thing which I say while also owning a Blue Star residential range a top of the line commercial level stove but for a home kitchen. The induction range will not create the excess heat as does a gas burner and so the need to exhaust hot air is reduced and the need for air makeup is greatly reduced. The metal of the pots is what heats up and so the pots have to be OK for induction ranges. Take a magnet and if it sticks to the pot it will work. I use a lot of cast iron on the induction range. The burner I have is adjustable in small changes. Some foods just turn out better with the added control. Now look at the cooking surface and note how easy an induction range is to clean. I can't speak to different brands of induction ranges and probably the quality differs between brands. Look on YouTube for videos of people touching the induction surface right next to a pot that is boiling water. If I were doing it again I would go all induction for the cook top.

Boolit Master
    We put a GE Induction cooktop in our house in 1991. A friend, who is a GE repairman told me that, since they were new, I ought to have a spare heating unit, so he gave me one to store in the house. Never used the spare, The cooktop is going strong. I really like them-- for rapid temperature control its the next best thing to gas. You do need pans that are magnetic (strongly attracted to a magnet). If its borderline (weakly attracted to magnet) they might not always work.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master
    perhaps it was the 'bowed' bottom on some of the pans that caused my issue, I just recall the owner being furious he had to buy new pans to go with the new burners. All my metal tools disappeared from the kitchen shortly after too, since we didn't want to scratch the new expensive gear. I'd forgotten about the exhaust heat, that was the main reason we switched.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master

You are not supposed to can on an induction. Propane is not hard to do now days, flex lines and a 100pound tank and you can cook when you have no power

Boolit Master

Lots of info so far, thanks all. I already have plenty of portable propane cylinders, burners, grills, etc. canning is a consideration, but I think I could use a camp chef propane stove.

My wife likes her stove nice, and if cleanup is as easy as they say, she'll probably have at least an hour more a week to watch tv or read books. All good things I think. The reduction in heat byproducts from cooking would be great in Texas.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

We put in an induction cooktop a year ago and are pretty happy with it. We had a bunch of pots which no longer worked on it but we were buying new pots anyway so that wasn't an issue for us.

Gas is not an option for us and I would say I would still prefer a gas cooktop, but this one is as close as you can get with an electric system.

And the glass top sure makes it easy to clean up, especially as it doesn't get real hot, so any spillages don't bake on.

Banned

why cant you can on one? I would think that if it can make water boil it would work fine.

Banned
    Any different technology that is new to you will require a small learning curve.

Moderator Emeritus

I know guys brewing beer on one even if it is way over the weight limit of the burner. But that is why they say to not can, to heavy.

Banned
    I got one of these and love it. Being 110v you can use it anywhere there's an outlet.
    NuWave PIC 1800W Portable Induction Cooktop Countertop Burner, Titanium $124.99 Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Product description
    Cooking Area: This specific PIC Titanium has a much larger 12.3 inch heating surface, this is much larger then the original PIC and PIC2 which has only 9 inches overall cooking surface. You may use pans measuring up to the total width which measures 12.3 inches, so you can use your 12-inch French Skillet or 12-quart Stockpot. Can accommodate up to a 50 pound weight load. NuWave Pic Titanium on the Go: The usage of 1800W of energy depending on the temperature and wattage setting. The appliance may be plugged into any electrical outlet, but cannot operate on batteries. ALSO INCLUDED: NuWave PIC Complete Cookbook, Quick Start Cooking Guide, Instruction Book, 94 temperature settings and boils water in 60 seconds Exclusive precise 5-degree temperature increments - even more temperature control; original PIC can only adjust in 10 degree increments PIC Titanium even has a new delayed shutoff feature. If you remove your cookware from the cooktop, you can replace it on the cooktop's surface within 10 seconds and continue cooking without needing to restart. Perfect for RV's, Boats and Yachts. NuWave engineer's the unit to meet an average lifespan of 13 to 15 years. NEW Delay function also allows users to start cooking at a time most convenient for them, even if they'll be away from the kitchen. Money Savings Induction cooktops and ranges can cost thousands of dollars. We offer a state-of-the-art product at a price most families and individuals can afford. The NuWave Precision Induction Cooktop's low price point is one of its greatest assets. The NuWave PIC Titanium is able to help consumers maximize their grocery budgets. This helps reduce the number of trips to the grocery store, saving you both time and money. The PIC Titanium is built with redundant engineering features to further promote safety, including an automatic shutoff feature that makes the unit that much more desirable in homes where pets, children and elderly reside.

Moderator Emeritus

Probably okay for canning weight, still to lightweight for beer brewing. A typical 7 gallon boil is going to be over 60 pounds easy, maybe 70... guys who take that chance are playing with getting severe burns if the burner collapses!

Banned
    you could build a frame over the beer boiling container and attach heavy bungees or straps to it to relieve most of the weight.

I have a regular electric stove so I use this often in the kitchen to keep the heat down, speed up cooking and whenever I need accurate heat control.

Boolit Master
    Installed a 2 burner cook top (Schott Ceran) when I built my house five years ago. Sits right beside the high end gas/propane range. We were use to and preferred electric and for less than $400(on line) we would still have that option. We don't use it much, this time of year......but pretty much daily, during the cool months. We are big tea drinkers and water will boil faster on that top than on the gas range. Ours came with a very nice set of pots/pans complete with glass lids.

Winelover

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    We use 2 table-top induction 1800 watt units to cook everything on! We have not used our glass-top electric since Christmas dinner.

But remember - - - - you MUST have "induction" cookware! Normal pots and pans willNOT work at all. I spent $200 for the cook tops and $450 on a total new set of pots and pans! But worth every penny.

I can now control temps to 5 degrees. AMAZING accuracy and speed. Will boil a pan with 4 ears of corn in less than 3 minutes on "sear" setting. All digital. Great addition to our kitchen. I will never replace our glass-top range/oven, but use these two little dudes all the time for everything.

Just be sure your electric circuits will handle the load!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If I have them on and the microwave on high, the load blows the breaker.