WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad Data
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cork guns?

Quote Originally Posted by Multigunner View Post
    I just remembered a spring powered bean shooter I had as a kid. These used beads of what looked to be plaster with a paint coating. The pistols that used these were double action repeaters with a very long light trigger pull. The fore runners of Air Soft.
    Remember those, one year at the Clay County Fair, a bunch of us kids had them. When we ran out of ammo, there was the soybeans seed companies that had their displays of bean seeds slowly disappear. But some how we had plenty of ammo from then on. oh the memories.
    Rob

Pea shooters with seed peas of the proper size hurt like he!! when you got hit by them, probably as much or more than cork balls.

Boolit Master
    wow with all you real old farts and dont know what they were .guess your mind went with the wrinkles
    have 2
    will see how long it takes for a guy that still has a mind to show up

Boolit Bub
    I received a double barrelled cork gun one Christmas (1961?). The barrels were metal and the stock wood - quite a sturdy toy. The mechanism was cocked by breaking open the action. If I remember correctly, there were two triggers. It was passed down to my two younger brothers and after that I have no idea what happened to it.

Boolit Master
    I'm surprised that I don't remember them. I do remember those .22 rifles at fairs though.

When I was 10 yrs old (1963) my parents took me to Elitch Gardens park in Denver. They took a rest on a bench and I begged for and got a quarter and left. I came back two more times for a quarter and disappeared with my 75 cents.

When they caught up to me they were horrified to find me at a booth with a .22 rifle in my hands. I was shooting rounds into the air while complaining to the attendant that the rifle was broken... all of the bullets were coming out of the side when I pulled the trigger.

They said he was just standing there looking bored, letting me shoot without any concern.
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Master
    I remember the cork guns at the county fair. They looked like Daisy pump action BB guns. For 25 cents you could shoot until you tipped over a prize. Anything of any value was on a weighted target so it wouldn't tip over. I took a cork and hollowed it out and filled it with smashed pellets. The weighted cork hit the target with a dollar bill taped to it so hard it sent it flying. The attendant was shocked I was able to tip over the target and he had to give me a dollar. A few minutes later he hollered "hey kid, I found your cork."

Quote Originally Posted by jimlj View Post
    I remember the cork guns at the county fair. They looked like Daisy pump action BB guns. For 25 cents you could shoot until you tipped over a prize. Anything of any value was on a weighted target so it wouldn't tip over. I took a cork and hollowed it out and filled it with smashed pellets. The weighted cork hit the target with a dollar bill taped to it so hard it sent it flying. The attendant was shocked I was able to tip over the target and he had to give me a dollar. A few minutes later he hollered "hey kid, I found your cork."
    A #4 shot carefully pushed into a hole in the center off cork, made by ice pick, will give the cork
    the guts to knock prizes off shelf. Me and several buddies did this at a VFD carney with our own
    corks we snuck in. No only were we winning, our corks were mixed in with Carney corks and there
    were a lot of people winning. To the point they shut down the stand. Probably my first adventure
    into hand loading. Data was supplied by a great uncle.

Boolit Master

We use too have what we called china berry guns which were fun to play with.They consisted 0f a hollow tube and a plunger.You would load one push it up the tube a little ways and then load another behind it and hit the plunger sharply this would push the first berry out with a pop.I don't remember how far or how hard they would shoot
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

The one I had as a kid looked like a Daisy lever action. The corks soon disappeared and were replaced by moist dirt clods, apple cores, or packed snow. I remember chasing each other around with those things stinging each other and any target of opportunity, (semi feral barn cats were usually the victims).

Boolit Master
    I had a little cork shooter pistol made of stamped sheet metal. After losing the corks I made match stick and sewing needle darts with paper fins with ends bent to hold the dart centered in the bore. it was surprisingly accurate out to 20 feet or so.

Quote Originally Posted by w5pv View Post
    We use too have what we called china berry guns which were fun to play with.They consisted 0f a hollow tube and a plunger.You would load one push it up the tube a little ways and then load another behind it and hit the plunger sharply this would push the first berry out with a pop.I don't remember how far or how hard they would shoot
    My dad used to make those for me when i was very young. I remember he would only use a small limb from a sweet gum tree for the ram rod, because the end of it would "fuzz" up and seal the air off so well.

All the kids in the neighborhood would get together and have china berry wars.
    Same thing with the cork guns after we cut the strings off the corks.

Cork guns were nothing compared to the china berry guns lol. Those china berries could leave quite a welp on a fellow sometimes.

Boolit Master

I remember them as a kid in the early 60's. Every year the firemen would have a fund raiser that ran a week long. They were your typical carnival games but the booths were manned by the fire fighters. The cork gun booth's targets were cigarette packs lined up on a shelf. For a quarter you got ten corks and tried to knock the packs of off the shelf. If you knocked a pack or more off they were yours to keep. This was in the days that if your father sent you to the store for cigarettes and you were tall enough to put the money on the counter they sold them to you. More often than not you didn't knock them off but I did win a few. Great fun as a kid. I went most nights of the week long event as it was three blocks from my house.
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Boolit Mold
    JC Higgins Cactus Kid from the late '50s it came with 42 caliber cork round balls. I still have it.
    Last edited by Paul24; 10-11-2017 at 08:13 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12