StainLess Steel MediaRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingADvertise here
Graf & SonsLee PrecisionInline Fabrication

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jesus says, buy a sword?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by wv109323 View Post
    I will also add that "the Word is sharper than a two edged sword" was not a fighting sword but a large knife sharpened on both edges. This was used like our butcher knife to divide meat. Two edges meant that the knife could be used twice as long before needing sharpened. Of course the sharper the knife the easier to divide meat.
    Except that the Roman gladius was a two edged sword. It was what most at that time would think of when a sword was mentioned. Most of Jerusalem probably saw them at least once a week, maybe more often.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Moderator Emeritus

Jesus said to buy a sword meaning :
    1] Times are about to get tougher and I will not be here to protect you.
    2] Two is enough, don't "go overboard" with preps. If the goal is to be in Heaven with Him, then death is not to be feared or dreaded. Preach the Gospel and declare Good Tidings but don't expect life to be easy. If you think it was, search out Pauls' life.
    Last edited by MT Gianni; 07-01-2017 at 01:03 AM.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    NAKED; but armed well! Word of my LORD!
    Great post!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Master Cold Trigger Finger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    "It is enough" possibly means "I have nothing more to say about the matter." Two swords was not enough for 11 guys going in different directions, so I don't think Jesus meant two swords were enough.

The disciples were a lot like many of today's preppers. Jesus told them (i.e., each of them) to take money (purse), food (bag) and a sword on their future travels and they fixated upon the weapon.

The sword was for defense against bandits that they might encounter on the roads. Money is necessary while traveling to buy things and food is also needed.

Things were going to be different for the disciples after Jesus departure and the instructions changed.

Edit: I have heard people claim the "sword" should be taken figuratively (God's word). But this would demand that everything else Jesus listed should be taken figuratively also. There's not justification for this other than some people do not like weapons.

Excellent post. Spot on !
    You are being watched.

Moderator Emeritus

I'm not sure about the answer to the OP's question, and I'm comfortable with that. I seem to do better and fail less when I'm pondering questions like this. But I DO know that He also said, "A strong man armed keepeth his house in good order." So it seems to me that Christ acknowledged the simple necessities of this world, so full of evil, and one of those things is the simple dangers posed by "outlaws" and those who'd abuse us heavily. And since "Thou shalt not kill" is more specifically translated, or at least by those I have come to trust most with their translations, as "Thou shalt not murder," which is a whole 'nother connotation in the instruction!

I've actually become glad for questions like this that I have no real answer or opinion on. They keep me studying and thinking and considering, and that keeps me out of trouble!

Boolit Master
    I just read a passage this morning bearing on this. You know the story of the young shepherd David going out to met the 9'9" Goliath. David killed The Philistine with a good throw from his sling right? Actually he knocked him out with the stone, and the giant did a face plant. Then David took Goliath's own sword, killed him and lopped his head. Sorta made a mockery of the mighty weapons of war. Earlier, at their initial confrontation David said " the LORD does not save with sword and spear; for the battle is the LORD's, and He will give you into our hands." Read this in I Samuel 17. I recalled a story from Zechariah (4:6) that goes, "This is the word of the LORD to Zerubbabel: 'Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit,' says the LORD of hosts. So it seems that the sword is an incidental artifact in a battle the Lord has joined. My part is to be prepared but make sure I'm on His side in a conflict.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master Cold Trigger Finger's Avatar
    Great point. Hogtamer. And my view also. I don't want to shoot anything that The Lord doesn't want me to . And rely on The leading of The Holy Spirit ! I view a firearm in many ways like any other tool I have . Hard for me to stay warm in the winter without a chainsaw and an ax or splitting maul. Hard hats have saved my life or health at least 5 times. Can't build a home without a framing hammer , saw , and level.
    However, I have been in enough life threatening problems where I needed a good gun, and had one , but still the positive outcome was From The Lord.
    I trust my trusted firearms to be reliable and suited for their designed job. But trust God for keeping me and mine safe.
    You are being watched.

Boolit Master
    While there may be some ambiguity in whether the stone sinking into the forehead caused the death of Goliath or the parting of the head from the body caused his demise, the take away I get is that The LORD will indeed deliver your enemies into your hand when it is His will. The "trick" I suppose, is to be confident enough in our understanding to know when it is necessary to do so.

I pray I am never faced with that particular dilemma, and for healing for those who have.

1Sa 17:49-51 KJV And David put his hand in his bag, and took thence a stone, and slang it, and smote the Philistine in his forehead, that the stone sunk into his forehead; and he fell upon his face to the earth. (50) So David prevailed over the Philistine with a sling and with a stone, and smote the Philistine, and slew him; but there was no sword in the hand of David. (51) Therefore David ran, and stood upon the Philistine, and took his sword, and drew it out of the sheath thereof, and slew him, and cut off his head therewith. And when the Philistines saw their champion was dead, they fled.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123