Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: Information needed: S&W Model 64-5 DAO .38 Special LEO Trade-In

Boolit Master

Information needed: S&W Model 64-5 DAO .38 Special LEO Trade-In

Well boys, i had a pretty good run at it but I became weak and gave into temptation........ yet again. That's right, I fell off the band wagon and brought another home, so sue me! Almost 3 months clean until this incident. The drug of choice, a S&W Model 64-5 DAO, 4" barrel; the drug dealer, Classic Firearms and their evil email blasts.

So this is from the latest batch of supposedly LEO trade-ins or perhaps something like a department of corrections, security force, etc. Like many guns of this flavor, it has some holster wear but appears to be fairly clean mechanically, not looking like it was fired a ton. It came with some pretty well worn Uncle Mike's combat grips. It is pretty dirty and grungy but it will clean up good! If a guy wanted, it would be easy to improve the finish since its stainless and make it like new but I am one who likes the service wear. Other than clean up, it's going to stay the way it is, she's earned her stripes.

So I would really like to know approximately its age and if possible, where it served its duty. So if any of you guys have a S&W Standard Manual, I would love to know what the date is via serial number. I do understand that the dates in said manual are the shipment date but that will do! It is at least old enough to have a hammer mounted firing pin, no hitlery hole, etc. I would love to know where it came from if anyone has a good idea. It has some electropenciled numbers here and there, possibly rack or issue numbers. The only other strange markings are under the left grip panel. It is stamped with a letter, "Y" with a long space and then "SC" . Perhaps something to do with North Carolina? The letter, "Y" is stamped right where the grip frame roll pin is. It must have been done at S&W before it was delivered as the stamp is right through the drilled roll pin hole. It wouldn't make sense to drive that pin out after assembled and over stamp part of it right through the pin hole. It must have been stamped before hand and then drilled and the roll pin pressed in, at least that seems to be the most logical. So I'm far from an expert on stuff like this. Any thoughts from you guys would be welcome!

The S/N: CPW2589
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170624_220757.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	198615Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170624_220820.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	198616Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170624_220807.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	198617
    Last edited by Mytmousemalibu; 06-30-2017 at 09:43 AM.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master
    Sorry that I don't have the info that you're looking for, but good job on purchase certainly. I have a couple of 64-5's from Classic myself, albeit the SA/DA version. Pretty much one of the best deals ever - what is Classic selling this batch for?

Boolit Master
    They had these priced at $350. I know these and many other LEO trade in's were quite a bit cheaper in the past when departments began to switch out of revolvers and trade in's saturated the market but those times have come and gone. Unfortunately this is the case with lots of guns and at the Golden hours, I didn't have the financial freedom to capitalize then. These have got to be getting towards the last batches left. Its still a really solid gun and it would shine like a brand new one. Its not beaten and battered up. S&W doesn't build them like this anymore.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master
    Most certainly; I'm surprised these are still coming out, thought they would have run out before now. I've owned a fair share of smooth S&W revolvers over the years, but my two police trade-ins are like /butter/. When Classic Edit: Sportsmans Outdoors Superstore first offered these at $250, I tried to get all my friends to go in for a ~dozen or so, but of course most didn't. And now they want to buy mine, lol.

Of my four (kept the two best), one was borderline needing a timing job so I got that done with some of the money I 'saved'.
    It was the good old days for sure; when ordering we were able to indicate DA/DAO, heavy bbl or pencil bbl, dash series (-3,-5, etc), and round butt vs square butt.

Anyway, good luck with yours. I've sorta wanted to 'factory letter' mine to see which police department had purchased them initially.
    Last edited by Kestrel4k; 06-28-2017 at 02:37 PM. Reason: correction

Boolit Master

Your photo of the yoke cut looks like a "64-3" to me. If that's the case, then the following info applies:

It was likely made between 1982 and 1988. The clue here is the non-pinned barrel made from 1982 on. The 64-4 began production in 1988 so your revlover was made between those two years.

If it is a "64-5" as you posted then it was make in 1988 or later. Given the streamlined cylinder "thumb release," I'd say it was later. I don't recall seing or buying an S&W with the more ergonomic design until the late 90s.

The New York City PD issed a bobbed hammer DA only revolver with the Markings "NY-1" marked in the yoke cut. I don't know what the "NC" or the "Y" means.

No matter what your new revolver's heritage is, you have a fine revolver. I carried its magnum brother, the Model 65, for several years as an LEO.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 06-28-2017 at 12:50 PM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the info Scharf! The picture does make it look like a - 3 but ill take a closer look at it tonight with a loupe but im almost positive it was a - 5. As you pointed out, it has the stylized thumb release which is indicative of a later date unless the department armory changed it at some point. They had some of everything, some with the older release, some of the newer ones, some with frame mounted firing pin, some on the hammer. I requested the oldest based on features they had but I probably just got luck of the draw, there wasn't a hand selected option.

I'm hoping someone here has the S&W Standard Manual which has the shipping dates by serial number to reference this one by. The book is pretty dang expensive but I may end up with one before long. Supposedly a very good one for those that like S&W.
    ~ Chris

Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mytmousemalibu View Post
    Thanks for the info Scharf! The picture does make it look like a - 3 but ill take a closer look at it tonight with a loupe but im almost positive it was a - 5. As you pointed out, it has the stylized thumb release which is indicative of a later date unless the department armory changed it at some point. [...]

I'm hoping someone here has the S&W Standard Manual which has the shipping dates by serial number to reference this one by. The book is pretty dang expensive but I may end up with one before long. Supposedly a very good one for those that like S&W.
    FWIW re: my pair of -5's; one has the older thumb release while one has the newer style. "CAHxxxx" and "CBDxxxx", both mfg in 1996.

So if yours is a -5 with a "CPW", maybe post-1999 ?? (as my 'CD' dates to then)

I was able to get help with dating mine from the nice folks at the S&W Forum, if you don't have any luck here.
    Last edited by Kestrel4k; 06-28-2017 at 01:50 PM.

Boolit Master
    Okay thanks for the help!

Im oddly enough not a member over there yet but I might have to change that! I'm a S&W fan and i have a pretty good little collection of them started.
    ~ Chris

Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master
    BTW, here are two good threads on the 64's over there:
    http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-rev...odel-64-a.html
    http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-rev...odel-64-a.html

And the police trade-ins:
    http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-rev...trade-ins.html

Here's a 'dating' thread with some of the experts posting re: their assistance.
    http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-rev...ay-thanks.html
    Last edited by Kestrel4k; 06-28-2017 at 02:39 PM.

I bought mine at a gun show from a guy who thought the hammer spur had been ground off. O offered him $300 and he took it. It looks like a new one with one of the smoothest DA triggers I ever felt. Shoots about anything you stick in it into very small(for me) groups. I love it, but what the hey, I love 'em all!
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the links Kestrel! I did browse most of those while I was at my buddies store/FFL when I picked it up, I couldn't wait to dig into it and see what I could find.

Scharf, I double checked the dash number very closely with a loupe when I got home, it's most definitely a -5 unless S&W has a really sloppy dot matrix engraver that has trouble with #3, but I doubt it! Based on everything we can deduce from its features and what we know S&W did during date periods, it appears to be a later production than I though. To be honest, I had no idea S&W still produced revo's this late with hammer mounted firing pins. The Standard book ship number would get a pretty close date of production or pretty definitive answer by way of factory letter which appeals to me since I *Think* that would give me info like who it was purchased by and when. Wonder what that costs!

For me, sometimes the history, the stories, and the evidence that some firearms have is just as interesting and valuable to me as the gun itself! I don't know how many more of you guys are like that but it's another unique aspect I really love! I guess I'm just a gun nerd!
    Last edited by Mytmousemalibu; 06-29-2017 at 09:44 AM.
    ~ Chris

Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master

For me, sometimes the history, the stories, and the evidence that some firearms have is just as interesting and valuable to me as the gun itself! I don't know how many more of you guys are like that but it's another unique aspect I really love! I guess I'm just a gun nerd!
    Probably applies to most of us here.

My model 65 no dash. I bought it new in 1977. It has a few stories from back in the day on the beat. I'll never sell it. I'll pass it on instead to my son.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails S&W 65 02-800-90%.jpg  
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 06-29-2017 at 01:13 PM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Scharfschuetze View Post

My model 65 no dash. I bought it new in 1977. It has a few stories from back in the day on the beat. I'll never sell it. I'll pass it on instead to my son.
    Your Model 65 is a beauty! I can't say I'd blame you for passing it down, I would do the same. I have a few firearms that I will never sell too as some hold a lot of sentimental value. A good friend of mine is a retired police officer and he still has a beauty of a Model 19 that was his duty weapon during his tenure. I had the joy of getting to shoot a fair bit and it's a sweetie of a shooter. I hsd to ask if he ever considered selling it, I said I wouldn't so I understand completely but he is going to pass it on to his son someday. I told hom of that didnt work out, I would be honored to give it a good home and he knows me well enough to know it would be in good hands.

Editing note : the stamping on the frame of my 64 is: Y SC
    I will attempt to get a picture posted soon.
    Last edited by Mytmousemalibu; 06-30-2017 at 09:45 AM.
    ~ Chris

Accuracy, Power & Speed

Quote Originally Posted by Scharfschuetze View Post

Scharf, are those S&W grips? They sure make that old wheel gun look sharp. Mine has the rubber finger groove grip and while it works like a charm, it AINT as spiffy as yours. Keep that one in the family for sure.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

These are a bargain for those needing a good 38 that anyone can shoot safely with minimal training. I was buying Colts back then when they too were offered as police trade ins (J and G) and have more than enough. Isn't S&W latest price on what they still carry on these close to a grand new? And as far as DOA, its the only way I train new shooters on a double action revolver. The revolver is both safe and ready when shooting double action. I do though show them how to uncock a revolver in the case of them cocking it. This is the perfect gun for a new woman shooter (and men too).

Boolit Master
    This 64 is very smooth on the pull but boy is it heavily sprung! My S&W 929 JM Performance Center has a pretty heavy trigger but this one is even more stout. It surely would have no trouble igniting small magnum rifle primers if I wanted to. I may do a little spring tuning on it but nothing i can't reverse by putting the original parts back in. Probably stick a more mild trigger return spring and call it good. I have some stock S&W springs that are lighter that I could swap the mainspring for. I don't need a light race gun trigger, just to pull a couple few pounds off it.
    ~ Chris

Accuracy, Power & Speed