Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting tired of losing close friends

Getting tired of losing close friends

I've know for some time that as we hit our 80's we will probably lose friends...I, like many do not have a large group of really close friends...in fact only a few...lots of acquaintences and "friends" but only a few men I'd really trust with my life or to respond if I were in a jam.

Lost one of them a short while ago..man I'd known for many years as a sober friend in AA...he got sober in 1956 so that made him a real "rarity" of a man with over 60 years of complete sobriety when he passed.

Now I find my long time fishing buddy is on the "short list" and will leave us within the next couple of months. Seems the "cure" for his prostate cancer was so severe it burned his insides and instead of a cure the process left him open for more and much more fast moving and severe cancer.

I'm not naive enough to think these things don't happen but it seems like there is a rash of sickness (mostly cancer) touching my life right now....Saying my prayers for their families and saying thanks for the friendships..a man is lucky to have a few very strong friends in his life and I've been blessed with some of the finest. At 80 I'm far from a picture of health but still trucking along and have a good hearty laugh frequently so still enjoy life...just got up this morning with a realization that times draw near regardless of our attempts to change things.

Boolit Master
    While I am not blessed with the as many years as you (I'll soon be 67), I can relate to your situation. In the last two years I have lost many friends, classmates, and relatives. Some due to old age and some to cancer. I also have some friends who are currently battling cancer. I have a few health issues but for the most part I remain very active. We're only on this old rock for a limited number of years. I'm thankful for the years granted me and I'm also thankful for the blessing of friends and family. I hope that you have as many more years as you can stand.
    Last edited by high standard 40; 06-28-2017 at 09:51 AM.

Boolit Master
    I understand.

Boolit Master
    losing friends in your 80's? lucky guy. I am just recovered from a stroke at 53 and have a friend in hospital with pericardial effusion right now who is same age. I lost an old friend to heart attack at 46.

Boolit Master
    Damn it sucks to lose a good friend, wish I had more myself. Sorry to hear about your fishing buddy.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master

Yesterday I learned that my eldest sister, who is 83+, has experienced a massive stroke and is hospitalized near Dayton, Ohio. We will have to leave southern Ky. where we live and travel up there to possibly see her before she terminates. I am 77 - have had a great life that I would not trade for anyone's life - but hard reality has to set in some time. I am ready to go but in a few minutes I will do 100 belly crunches plus an assortment of other exercises, then ride a stationary bike 10 miles, then do a little over two miles on the treadmill at level 3.5 for 35 minutes. I try to stay in shape. We only go around once so we had better get our priorities straight. Exercise, eat right, and get our head on straight. I have fought three cancer battles: malignant thyroid cancer, esophageal cancer and malignant prostate cancer - plus have developed diabetes type 2. I am a semi-retired Minister with Churches of Christ/Christian Churches. If I never draw another breath, with this one I will say that God is good all the time! There is no substitute for having a vibrant relationship with my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. While some think and say that is unrealistic, I say look around you and you will see His designs in everything your eyes can see - even the eye itself. The way the eye functions is/can be no accident. It was designed. That is realism and the only sane way to face the inevitable. Yes, I am tired of losing my good friends, too, and conducted the funerals of most of them. But that is just the way it is. It is, as it is referred to in the Bible, the way of all flesh. We will not escape it. So the best route is to get ready for it. Please do not take these words as a retort. Just my thoughts for the moment. I surely sympathize with anyone who has or shall lose a friend for family member. God's blessings to all. Big Boomer

Boolit Grand Master

Nice post, Boomer. Yeah, it hurts to loose friends. But its part of the process. Just remember the Friendship as it was and look forward to seeing them on the other side.

Boolit Master

Thanks and right on, lightman! Big Boomer

Boolit Master

Gone to a few too many funerals lately. Miss the folks but at every funeral reception I learned things about my late friends I never knew and it's always been good and made my memories of time spent around 'em even better. Hope whoever's left feels that way when they come to mine !

Boolit Grand Master

Less than an hour ago, I got word that a friend of over 40 years has passed. Last week I got the belated news that another was gone. Age has a way of robbing what we cherish, and asking the question, when will it be me.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master

I worked out at Pima Air & Space Museum up until a couple of years ago. Largest privately owned (not governmental) Air Museum in the world (>300 airplanes). Three hundred volunteers on the books, many of them old farts like myself (82 in 3 weeks), and thus have lost many friends over the past 15 years. But they were sharp, good folks, and one of the pleasures of working there was working such good guys (and gals).
    Our time on this big green lifeboat is limited - none of us will get out alive. New left knee, new lenses in the eyeballs, bypass surgery, &cetera, but in pretty good shape for the shape I'm in, and good for another 5-10 years, I imagine. And I wish the same for my chums here on this forum.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master
    Just buried one of my good friends 2 months ago. Just about lost one a month ago in a construction fall. My grandfather died at 93 years old he told me all of his best friends had all died before him sad.

Boolit Master
    Losing good friends is very sad. Contemplating the alternative---not so much!
    R.D.M.

Boolit Grand Master

At the local watering hole today for lunch, I learned that 29 of my classmates have preceded me.
    At 87 my dad wondered aloud if God had forgotten him. All his friends and fellow workers were gone. The next year I mourned his passing, but at least he was back among those he missed. Now i'm beginning to understand what he meant.
    I never wanted to be first, but being last is no prize.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master
    A friend of mine in his 80's went to the funeral of an old high school classmate. He saw one of his other classmates that was still kickin' just not real high. They talked about old acquaintances and then the classmate got kinda quiet.

My friend Bill said "Charlie, what's wrong?"
    Charlie said "Well I'm worried that I'll live so long that there wont be anyone around that will remember me at my funeral."
    Bill said "Charlie, I plan on being there."

Boolit Grand Master
    Lost one just this year.
    Heart attack at a Gunshow in the states.
    Knew him since grade schools days.
    As we get older, we do lose friends.
    After their gone, I always wished I'd gotten to know them better.
    Wondered if I could have been a better friend.
    From time to time, I still think about those that have passed on.
    Remember the good times brings a smile.
    Sometimes a tear comes out knowing I'll never see them again.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    A friend of mine in his 80's went to the funeral of an old high school classmate. He saw one of his other classmates that was still kickin' just not real high. They talked about old acquaintances and then the classmate got kinda quiet.

My friend Bill said "Charlie, what's wrong?"
    Charlie said "Well I'm worried that I'll live so long that there wont be anyone around that will remember me at my funeral."
    Bill said "Charlie, I plan on being there."
    I LIKE that quote! Thanks for the chuckle..... Like ya'll I'm realizing the yrs passing.

The other side of the coin: Be thankful you found people that deserve to be called a real friend.
    The word "friend" is used too loosely these days for my taste.

Be thankful for the time you've had.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Banned
    I started losing friends in 1968 and as the years have passed more and more are gone now. Some were through no fault of their own and I have had a few take their own lives. When I was a young man my dad told me when you get older life will begin to take more and more away from you now I understand. I now have three men that I can count on to be there no questions asked and I don't know how much longer we have here but I know they can count on me and I with them. You have my profound sympathy sir.

Sadly or thankfully, depending on how you look at it, I have ZERO friends so will never know the pain of losing them. Moving from one country, to another then many states once here, I have wife, kids and immediate family. Not a single friend I can really think of.
    So sorry for your loss, but to have had friends at all and lose them seems a richer life than the largely friendless one I've had.
    Still, my wife and kids are so tight-knit, I suppose I'm blessed more than some......
    Thanks be to God.
    A government that robs from Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast