MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: Crosman Peacemaker 44

Boolit Buddy

Crosman Peacemaker 44

I realized that I inherited a Crosman 44 Peacemaker from my Dad when he passed back in November. It is very dirty and so I took it apart in order to clean it. I am wondering if the thing is worth the cost of a rebuild kit. Does anyone here have any experience with these things?

Boolit Master
    I had a neighbor who's son had one of these. They are definitely worth investing in a reseal kit. A very nice old gun, that would likely still sell well today despite competition from the Umarex Colts.

I've been meaning to get one of the .22 SA6 versions one day.

No cross all that out, these guns are dangerous junk, shovel all the parts into a bag and mail them to me immediately, I'll dispose of it safely at no charge, just to be sociable.

Boolit Buddy
    Well, I might do that. I was putting the gun back together when the detent spring launched into orbit and landed in parts unknown. Do you know where I could find another?

Boolit Master
    JG airguns has some parts and springs.
    http://www.jgairguns.biz/catalog/ind..._89_158&page=2

If its a coil spring you can usually find a suitable replacement somewhere. I keep a drawer full of springs salvaged from discarded airsoft guns, lighters, ball point pens, etc.

To find a lost spring take an old speaker and drag it across the carpet, the magnet of the speaker can pull a spring or screw out of deep pile carpet if necessary.
    For probing nooks and crannies take the magnet off a refrigerator magnet and glue it to a ruler or stick.

Much as I'd like to trade you out of this pistol it was your dad's so I'm sure you'd regret letting it go.
    But I'll PM you with an offer if you do decide you don't want to keep it.

Boolit Buddy
    Thankfully, I found the spring. I was in the shop sweeping things to see if I could recover it and sure enough it was discovered. The gun is back together. I'm going to get some CO2 cartridges today and see if the thing holds air, otherwise I will have to rebuild the valve. But inspection shows that the gun did not get much use -- the barrel was almost pristinely clean and the valve o-ring (at least the one I can see) looks to be quite healthy.

Boolit Master
    Great news there.
    I hope this pistol works well for you.

Boolit Buddy
    Looks as if I will have to rebuild the valve. I got two shots (no pellets in the gun) before the CO2 started spraying out of the valve face. I tried two cartridges just in case I had not seated it correctly, but the same thing happened on the second cartridge.

How does one go about dismantling a valve?

Boolit Master
    Another link same site.
    http://anotherairgunblog.blogspot.co.../crosman%20SA6

There are at least three versions with differing seal methods for the CO2 canister. Determine which type you have.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you, Multigunner.

Boolit Buddy
    I've dismantled the valve and cleaned it up. The seals, as near as I can tell, were in not too bad a shape. The seal under the screw in valve face(?) -- I'm not sure about what one calls the part where the cartridge seats into the valve -- was simply a waxy substance, and I bet that is what was causing the leak. While I have an exploded diagram for the gun, I do not have a corresponding parts list to go with the numbers on the diagram. Anyway, I am wondering where I would be able to purchase valve seals for this gun. I'd appreciate your help if you have any idea. Thanks.

Boolit Master
    This may be of help.
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...Tuz9Zk-H_7M9EQ

The SA 6 and Hahn 45 are near the bottom