MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
PBcastcoReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Welcome to the place to discuss your deep ideas

Super Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the place to discuss your deep ideas

Keep it civil and remember this is a test of new area for chapel.

Boolit Master

Thank you Jim & Robert!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Super Moderator Emeritus
    BZ you ask now you help keep it up to standards

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher Jim View Post
    BZ you ask now you help keep it up to standards
    But, but, but..........you bet!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Grand Master

I assume you will be moving some of the existing threads here?
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Super Moderator Emeritus
    Wayne I expect you all to bring your discussions here. You all asked for this so I trust you will switch to this place. I will move any asked to move here

Thanks Jim and Robert, for your sincere attempt to accommodate serious discussion. My prayer is that we can all learn from each other without contention. Go in Peace.
    Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

Boolit Grand Master

My Choosing a Church may or may not be moved, it is practical rather than theological in intent but thread drift happened. My Creation vs Creationism ought to come over here.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Moderator Emeritus

Jim, my sincere thanks to you and Robert for this space. I believe we can almost all of us keep it civil and scholarly. This is a very crucial part of our lives, so it's natural to care about our beliefs tenaciously. There's little more edifying than a good, round-table discussion of the things that we don't understand, or simply need further illumination on.

We've got WAY too much knowledge, good will and studious folks here to let them go to waste! Thanks, and we'll do our best to make you and Rob proud of us.

Super Moderator Emeritus
    Please read this before you decide to post something that will cause argument.
    I will issue points for name calling, arguing, or just plain causing the deterioration of this place to non Biblical debates (denominational not biblical) .
    Thank you
    Last edited by Preacher Jim; 07-11-2017 at 09:37 AM.

Boolit Master
    Brothers; I have noticed that most disagreements in ref. to the "Word of God" comes from an understanding which has been gathered from outside sources and not from the word itself. God has given us instructions in the "Word of God" directing us to HIS understanding. Would any of you like to tell us where God put these instructions, and how they must be received. I live in southwest Va. and have never found a preacher in this area who knows these instructions and our Father says it "must" be this way to receive knowledge & wisdom. Please take this as a trivia question and not as a stab at your intelligence, and or pride!. Jim

Boolit Master
    I wanted to put this in its own thread, but since it's your thoughts I didn't.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by versa-06 View Post
    Brothers; I have noticed that most disagreements in ref. to the "Word of God" comes from an understanding which has been gathered from outside sources and not from the word itself. God has given us instructions in the "Word of God" directing us to HIS understanding. Would any of you like to tell us where God put these instructions, and how they must be received. I live in southwest Va. and have never found a preacher in this area who knows these instructions and our Father says it "must" be this way to receive knowledge & wisdom. Please take this as a trivia question and not as a stab at your intelligence, and or pride!. Jim
    How are we to understand the Bible?

First we must read it or hear it preached. Jesus said those who really wanted to know God would understand that his words were from God. This did not mean that his followers would be given complete understanding though. Often times even Jesus' disciples were totally clueless. In my judgement, this would broadly apply to the entire Bible.

One of the Holy Spirits' roles is to remind people of Jesus' words and provide insight. Of course in order to be reminded or given insight, we must already be familiar with what the Bible contains. Endeavors of God and man are often slow and can be subtle. Man must do his part before God will do his. Consider raising food in a garden. We must plant and care for the garden--then God will cause it to grow. In other words, God generally does not "miracle" biblical knowledge into people.

God gave officials to the Church in order to strengthen and build it up. Included in these are teachers. Teachers understand things that their students do not due to a lifetime of study and natural talent. At one time the teacher would probably only be found within the walls of a church. In today's world the teacher can pass his information on to us in a variety of media. The one we are most familiar with is the book. Teachers who have studied their entire lives write commentaries and other scholarly works that can help us understand the Bible.

In my understanding of Scripture, my observations and experiences I believe a more full knowledge of the Bible comes from reading it, instruction under competent teachers and the ministry of the Holy Spirit. If any of these components are missing the biblical student will be lacking.

Would any of you like to tell us where God put these instructions
    Try these scriptures on for size;

from whence cometh wisdom and understanding?

Job 28: 20-28

Psalm 111:10

Psalm 119:33-35, 72-74, 97-104, 124-128, 130, 144, 169

psalm 147

Proverbs pretty much the entire book.

Isa 11: 1-5 40:10-15,

Jer 3:15

Luke 24:45

Eph 1:16-23, 5:17,

Col. chapter 2

2Ti 2:7

1John 5:20

If you would avail yourself of a Strong's concordance, you would be able to search these answers up for yourself, and do your own homework, This is a sampling of verses covering "understanding" and from whence it comes.

Enjoy

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the responses guys! Remember originally stated HIS understanding, and the words "must" be this way, please take another moment and put a little more work along with your faith. Pull out your KJV and read Isaiah 28;9-14 and tell us what you get. Your responses are carrying this discussion. Thanks! Jim.

Boolit Master
    I was reading that last night. How it's like building something a piece at a time. Precept on precept, a little here and there.
    I know I've been reading and studying since I was old enough to read, and I'm still learning, growing, and finding new revelations. The only thing that makes that possible is striving to be humble (I fall short).

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by versa-06 View Post
    Thanks for the responses guys! Remember originally stated HIS understanding, and the words "must" be this way, please take another moment and put a little more work along with your faith. Pull out your KJV and read Isaiah 28;9-14 and tell us what you get. Your responses are carrying this discussion. Thanks! Jim.
    "Line upon line. etc." is meant to mimic babbling. God was only able to speak to this generation of Israel through drunken priests and prophets and conquering invaders from Assyria.

Isaiah 28:7-8 is a criticism of the incompetency of the priests and prophets who were attempting to instruct Israel during this time period. They were accused of being drunkards. Verses 9-10 responds to Isaiah's preceding comments arguing that even though the priests and prophets sounded like drunken babbling teachers (line upon line, etc.); God spoke to his people through their instruction. The passage goes on to tell of how God will speak to his people through a conquering force, the Assyrians (verses 11-13). This is necessary since they haven't learned from any other methods. The Assyrian's foreign language will sound like babbling to the Israelites, but the message will still be received.

I understand the sentiment that "line upon line, precept upon precept" might describe a Christian student's learning process. But, in context, this passage doesn't present the ideal, easiest or most efficient methods of learning from God.

Boolit Master
    True, it's not in context.

Verse specific games, disregarding the more rounded concept, re-iterated in a different manner in the second post, to what purpose? I would suggest when you seek a specific passage, chapter and verse, you do us the courtesy of stating that in the OP.

I hope you took the time to read the list of passages provided for the benefit of those interested, as they come straight from "the horses mouth" so to speek.

Boolit Master
    Sorry for the delay; Note verse 7 is an inclusive (they also) continuing indulgence in excess. Verse 8 concludes the status of the situation which ends the disclosure of the situation. Verse 9 starts new direction. 9) Whom shall he teach knowledge? (He God) and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? (Answer) them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts. (Now I don't know about you but I want this to be ME!!) Heb. 5:13 for everyone that useth milk is unskillful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe. Verse 10 precepts are commandments per Strong's #6673, and each commandment is a Topic.- #6957 line; a cord, Comp #6978;( in the sense of fastening) stalwart ,Strong binding. Note in vs 10 precept MUST be upon precept and continued---. That word "must" makes it clear that his word has to be received this way. Line upon line is the cord that ties ( fastens) the verses together. Now pick a topic, marriage, divorce, re-marriage, law, sabbath, alchohol, etc. We've all noticed how God gives bits and pieces on every subject all over his word, maybe several places in old and new test. But unless we diligently search his word and put all of his direction together and fasten it together we will never come to a full knowledge of the truth on any topic. Basically no one verse stands alone and explains everything. Verse 11 #3934 Stammering lips: a foreigner and another tongue (different language) will he speak to this people. Verse 12- To whom he said, this the rest (Rest #4496 peacefully fig. consolation, (spec. matrimony)(the bond of the church) hence, (concr.) an abode, quiet resting place.) wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the re-freshing (invigorating). yet they would not hear. Verse 13- Repeating the oration to signify serious signifigance as to how his word should be received, and the end of 13 clarifies that if it is not received in this manner they will be broken snared and taken by Satan. Verse 14- Note the word scornful (a scorner-a teacher that teaches according to his translation and not the rightly divided word of truth). And touching Verse 15- the falsehood comes from the teachings. 16- The stone, Jesus, The Word of God!! 17-end description of last days & end of times and judgment. Example II timothy 3:1-7 (vs1 last days, vs7 Ever learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth. Sound like a congregation you've sat in?? Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast