PBcastcoLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: More 30 Government

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master

More 30 Government

I found these at a local gun show about a year ago. There was a young man that had a lot of brass. I asked if he had any 30-40 Krag and he said not with him but had 40, already primed, at home he could bring the next day. So, I went back on Sunday and this is what he had. He said "$35.00, FIRM". I said $70 is kind of high for 40 rounds. He said "no, that's $35 for both. Needless to say...

My only problem is, I cant bring myself to loading them, they're just too nice.Attachment 198602Attachment 198603Attachment 198604
    Fact: Some people are alive simply because it's illegal to kill them.

Boolit Master
    Nice find. Congratulations. I remember many years ago when you could buy empty primed cases ready for loading. I haven't seen new ones currently. I think that the ammo manufacturers all stopped making them.

I don't know the age of these but, if you'll notice there is no ZIP code with the address.

I have a box like that, but only the box. I'd place that style from the 1920s.

In Remembrance

A sportered Krag I bought from a widow about 20 years back came with 11 boxes of ammo, some old Gov`t boxes and others of all manfacturers. The rifle, guncase and ammo for $150.Robert

Boolit Buddy
    Very cool.

FWIW, the notation "Division of Olin Industries, Inc." did not appear on Western Cartridge Co.'s products, packaging, and literature until 1946.

Boolit Master

You know what's funny; I saw those two boxes on a table at a gun show a few months ago. I remember thinking that someone who needed 30-40 brass was going to snap them up.

My first thought was that I remember seeing a couple boxes just like that, then I saw your location. I think I saw them at a show in Albany.

Are you sure it was only a few months? I got them about a year ago. Can't remember if it was Albany or Eugene. I try to go to all the "Club Shows". I'm sure it was at one of them.

Boolit Master

Could very well have been over a year ago. It's crazy how time flies. If I'd have paid attention to your first post I'd have seen the part where you said you "found these at a local gun show about a year ago".

I remember asking the guy about those two boxes because they weren't priced. I don't remember what he said but it seemed too cheap, so I asked "Are you sure? For the old virgin Krag brass?" He took a closer look and said "Oh, no, not those. Those are more." I just smiled, thought so. I wasn't going to buy them either way, just curious, but I did figure it was still a good deal for someone looking for Krag brass. That's really the only reason I go to shows, just walk around and look at stuff, and talk to the old timers. The club shows are so much better for that.

It was probably Albany or Rickreall where I saw them, early last year if I had to guess. I haven't been to a Eugene show in a long time, since we moved from Springfield. If you go to a lot of shows I'm sure we've seen each other around. About the only ones I get to anymore are the club shows in Albany and Rickreall. I really liked Roseburg, but we're just too far away now.

I've got a bag full of assorted 30-40 brass around somewhere, everything from modern to old FA04 GI brass. Every once in a while I think I should get rid of all that kind of stuff sell it to someone else who can use it.

Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    Could very well have been over a year ago. It's crazy how time flies. If I'd have paid attention to your first post I'd have seen the part where you said you "found these at a local gun show about a year ago".

I remember asking the guy about those two boxes because they weren't priced. I don't remember what he said but it seemed too cheap, so I asked "Are you sure? For the old virgin Krag brass?" He took a closer look and said "Oh, no, not those. Those are more." I just smiled, thought so. I wasn't going to buy them either way, just curious, but I did figure it was still a good deal for someone looking for Krag brass. That's really the only reason I go to shows, just walk around and look at stuff, and talk to the old timers. The club shows are so much better for that.

It was probably Albany or Rickreall where I saw them, early last year if I had to guess. I haven't been to a Eugene show in a long time, since we moved from Springfield. If you go to a lot of shows I'm sure we've seen each other around. About the only ones I get to anymore are the club shows in Albany and Rickreall. I really liked Roseburg, but we're just too far away now.

I've got a bag full of assorted 30-40 brass around somewhere, everything from modern to old FA04 GI brass. Every once in a while I think I should get rid of all that kind of stuff sell it to someone else who can use it.
    That got my attention! If that time ever comes, I'd get in line.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	30 40 blank.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	204394

Picked up these last week, 7 "live" blanks and ~ 25 hand loaded rounds from "Jan 2, 1940" according to the hand written note on the box. Plus a bunch of empty brass oldest was FA 7 02. 1902! I was going to try and load a couple of the 02 but appears to have been mercuric primers. Even after polishing and annealing they split almost instantly during resizing. Very brittle. I got ~ 60 usable REM UMC brass. Loaded those up today.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by condorjohn View Post
    That got my attention! If that time ever comes, I'd get in line.
    I found them today. There's 64 pieces in the bag. I was going to put them up on the trader but wanted to see if you were still interested first. I'll send you a PM.
    Last edited by fatelk; 10-05-2017 at 10:35 AM.

Hey fatelk, awaiting your PM. Thanks for keeping me in mind!

When you could still buy such cases on Ebay, I bought 240 primed Winchester cases in boxes from the 1920. I load and shoot them and I am certain they will last the rest of my life.

So as to the OPs cases...chut em!
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by condorjohn View Post
    I don't know the age of these but, if you'll notice there is no ZIP code with the address.
    IF they weren't using up pre-printed boxes, that places these boxes as maybe pre-1963 (the '63 introduction of the five digit Zip code was voluntary). Back during WW II large cities were given Postal Zone two digit codes. IIRC East Alton wasn't a large city (and it is highly unlikely that WCC was producing .30-40, or any, primed brass for civilian sales during the war).
    Last edited by Ed in North Texas; 11-05-2017 at 09:58 AM.
    Ed

CW3 USA (Ret)
    VFW Life
    American Legion
    DAV Life
    NRA Benefactor
    TX State Rifle Assn Life
    SAF Life
    NY State Rifle and Pistol Assn Senior Member because I don't have to fight that fight in TX
    JPFO Member
    GOA Member

Thanks to a forum member and a few club members I now have enough brass to last quite a while. So, the Winchester
    stuff will sit on the shelf for the time being. From the suggestions on this thread, if the time ever comes, I will use it.

Thanks to all, CJ

Boolit Master

I'd guess those cases to be post war as they were labeled non-corrosive ? Don't know when non-corrosive primers came out though

I once bought a 2gal pail of 30-06 brass I was most fascinated by the FA15 I found 118of but wound up tossing most of them when they broke up like saltines when I tried sizing them