Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: It Keeps On Coming!

Boolit Master

It Keeps On Coming!

Another score!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Lucky! I can't seem to score any around here like that.
    Swaging. Keeping the 40's running for the price of .22's
    and .223 bullets for a fraction of a cent!

Boolit Master
    I keep finding it on Facebook market place.

I now have a steady supply of free range lead

Boolit Grand Master

Nice Score! Those pieces up by the cab look pretty thick.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    Nice Score! Those pieces up by the cab look pretty thick.
    Indeed....challenge accepted!! LOL.

Have some care around lead with white oxidation. Lead oxide is one of the easiest ways to end up elevating your blood lead levels. Powder breathed in is absorbed, and you can absorb it through your skin from handling.

Once you melt that lead down and flux the oxides will be reduced back into the lead or removed in the dross so have some care with dross from that lot. Dust mask and nitrile gloves will help you avoid ingesting lead when you make ingots. So make it into ingots using some care and it will be fine.

BTW - nice haul.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    Have some care around lead with white oxidation. Lead oxide is one of the easiest ways to end up elevating your blood lead levels. Powder breathed in is absorbed, and you can absorb it through your skin from handling.

Once you melt that lead down and flux the oxides will be reduced back into the lead or removed in the dross so have some care with dross from that lot. Dust mask and nitrile gloves will help you avoid ingesting lead when you make ingots. So make it into ingots using some care and it will be fine.

BTW - nice haul.
    Thanks!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post

BTW - nice haul.
    I didn't realize that it could be absorbed through your skin. Good to know. I need to be more careful! I have gloves.

Breathing the dust is by far the easiest and most "effective" way to absorb lead the skin is another. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12529920

One of my bad habits was washing brass in a bucket I would reach in and turn and stir the brass with my hand to get the air out of the inside of cases. Hematologists said that was something I should wear rubber gloves for to avoid taking the lead from primer ignition in through the skin.

Not keeping the media in my vibration polisher "damp" so it put dust in the air. And of course being head down inside 55 gallon drums of brass searching for good stuff probably didn't help either.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Banned

Yes, I worry about my tumbling media a lot because I keep and reuse it for a long time. I do use the polishing compounds and they keep it fairly moist. I try to stay out of 55 gallon drums!

Banned
    That why I went to wet tumbling. If you saw how nasty the water was after tumbling brass you'd never dry tumble dirty brass again. I do rotary dry tumble loaded cartridges @ 20 rpm with large corn media to remove lube.

Yep the Frankford Arsenal Rotary Tumbler is on my wish list. And not just so I can say I want a FART for Christmas. For now a 1/2 shot of mineral spirits every couple of loads helps keep the dust down and helps the polish spread.

Banned

It may have a funny acroynym but it is worth getting as is are the more expensive rock tumblers.
    The reviews should provide some piece of mind.
    I got the FA tumbler and really like it.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Reddirt62 View Post
    Another score!

I've been melting that thin stuff every day for a week now. I've been folding it up and smashing it into small squares with a Mallot to fit in my cast pan. It's 100 percent pure soft lead. I removed approx a double ply of 30'x 10' from the battery making room from a Sears auto center. I'm down to a third of a tote of smashed squares to melt. Between the unused,left over wheel weights and this lead I'm set for life. When you melt that thin stuff you'll end up with about an inch of sand looking sediment floating on top. Once you remove it you'll want to scrape the bottom of your pan. You'll find out you will get about a third of what was on top floating back up.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 06-30-2017 at 07:46 PM.

Boolit Master
    Awesome!

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

I scored 21 lbs of soft lead and a handful of wheel weights from my Craigslist WTB ad for $0.50/lb. This guy is in demo and said he gets the stuff all the time from work. I told him I'll keep buying all he can get his hands on at that price.