RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load Data Wideners

Thread: unpatched bullet size for .3015" bore ?

Boolit Buddy

unpatched bullet size for .3015" bore ?

Could use a little help here.
    I read in Paul Matthews book on paper patching that the ideal unpatched bullet size when using smokeless would be .0005 larger than bore size. I have a .3015" bore size so technically I should use a .302" sized bullet before patching BUT I have a .303" Lee type push through sizing die. Would it work anyway or do I really need a .302" sizing die ?

Boolit Master
    Your bullet ought to fall from the mold as close to .302" as you can get it, so, how big is your bullet?
    USMC 6638

Boolit Master
    Did the Matthews book designate a specific caliber?

And does Matthews .0005 advice apply across the board to all patch'able calibers?

I don't see how a thousandth & a 1/2 oversize in diameter measurement is going to make any difference in your application Danyboy. In fact I think you'll see improved end results with you're bullet sized to .303. compared to .302.

Boolit Master
    Use the die you have and load twenty rounds and shoot 'em at targets to see if you are getting accuracy you require. Pdawgs sticky calls for up to .0015" over bore dia. What boolits are you sizing down?
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Boolit Buddy
    I planned on sizing down a Lee .309 160 gr down to .303" and patch it up to .312" for my Remington spartan single shot 7.62 x 39. Groove size is .312".

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMax View Post
    Did the Matthews book designate a specific caliber?

And does Matthews .0005 advice apply across the board to all patch'able calibers?

I don't see how a thousandth & a 1/2 oversize in diameter measurement is going to make any difference in your application Danyboy. In fact I think you'll see improved end results with you're bullet sized to .303. compared to .302.
    Matthew's book talks about all calibers but I won't go crazy about it. Thought I'd screw up the purpose of paper patching by using too large a bullet and also maybe foul the bore a little more than necessary but according to the replies I got, I realized I worry too much. I'll go ahead and give her a try anyway. Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by danyboy View Post
    Matthew's book talks about all calibers but I won't go crazy about it. Thought I'd screw up the purpose of paper patching by using too large a bullet and also maybe foul the bore a little more than necessary but according to the replies I got, I realized I worry too much. I'll go ahead and give her a try anyway. Thanks for the help.
    If u want the best results, i would follow the paper jacket advice as closely as u can.
    THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN HIT THE CENTRE OF THE TARGET IS WITH A CENTREFIRE!!!

I did quite a bit of research in this regard in calibers from .375 to .600 and confirmed Mathew's suggestion regarding bullet and bore diameters. E. H. Harrison of the NRA also suggests a bullet diameter as close to bore diameter in his research on high velocity 30cal loads in the .308, .30-06, and .300WinMag.

Here's a link to a writeup of my research:

http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/How...%20Boolits.pdf