Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RCBS Easy Melt

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 2011redrider View Post
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/86...rnace-120-volt

this is the latest picture on Midway, dont think anyone has taken delivery on one yet.
    Interesting.

Since this discussion revolves around Ladle Casting, does anyone here have experience with Rowell Bottom Pour Ladles?

https://www.advancecarmover.com/images/rowell.pdf

Boolit Grand Master

I have a #1 rowel ladle I use on occasion. A good ladle that pours from the bottom. very good and works great. The only draw backs are 1) The #1 is the smallest and holds 1lb of lead roughly. This can be tiring over a long session. 2) the handle is longer than most giving the weight more leverage on your wrist. 3) Do to the desighn of the spout and ladle pressure pouring isn't an option.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    I have a #1 rowel ladle I use on occasion. A good ladle that pours from the bottom. very good and works great. The only draw backs are 1) The #1 is the smallest and holds 1lb of lead roughly. This can be tiring over a long session. 2) the handle is longer than most giving the weight more leverage on your wrist. 3) Do to the desighn of the spout and ladle pressure pouring isn't an option.
    I just tried ladle casting, the other day, after 40 years of bottom pouring. I too thought the Rowell #1 was the way to go but was convinced by Cbrick to get the #2 to use in my Pro-Melt. It is the largest that will fit in the Pro-Melt, it's tight but doable.

Yes, all the Rowell ladle handles are long, but that can be remedied with a hack saw and a threading die. I cut mine down to 12" for better balance. No need to pressure cast when you have nearly two pounds of lead flowing out of that ladle......plenty of head pressure available.

BTW, I just ordered the RCBS Easy Melt from Midway. In stock at $109, with free shipping and a $25 rebate............couldn't pass it up. Will be used, strictly for the occasional ladle casting session. Suppose to be here, mid-week.

Winelover

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by winelover View Post
    I just tried ladle casting, the other day, after 40 years of bottom pouring. I too thought the Rowell #1 was the way to go but was convinced by Cbrick to get the #2 to use in my Pro-Melt. It is the largest that will fit in the Pro-Melt, it's tight but doable.

Yes, all the Rowell ladle handles are long, but that can be remedied with a hack saw and a threading die. I cut mine down to 12" for better balance. No need to pressure cast when you have nearly two pounds of lead flowing out of that ladle......plenty of head pressure available.
    Winelover

Boy, We have very different experiences. I have a #1 and a #5, 20 plus years. (good for pouring ingots) For casting large BPCR bullets, I like the RCBS and Lyman dippers and value the fact that the dipper spout mates to the mold top plate so well. I get perfect results. For me the Rowell just complicates making good bullets and I understand other people my prefer the Rowell. There are a lot of right ways to do something.

That RCBS easy Melt sure looks like it would be a nice addition to my collection of pots. I have one for each alloy I use. I also like the idea that the capacity is 25 pounds.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    The new Easy Melt, arrived mid week. Got a couple of casting sessions in, since then.

The #2 Rowell ladle fits with room to spare.

The PID, once set, fluctuates less then the Lyman Mag 25, I also own. The Lyman varies about ten degrees, while the RCBS by less than two. Neither furnace has a on/off switch. RCBS manual states not to operate the furnace with less than one inch of lead inside......and not to unplug it until the temperature is down to 160 degrees. Set the PID to 0000 to shut the heating element off, but allow the cooling fan to run. Lyman makes no mention of this in their owner's manual.

The Lyman pot is painted steel, while the RCBS is bright metal, like the older Pro-Melt.

Took a little over half hour to melt 20 pounds of alloy, I had in it from the previous casting session. My 220V Pro-melt will beat this by half. After the session was over, it took several hours for the pot to reach the unplugging temperature of 160 degrees. I ran it in my garage, with the door open, air temp was @ 60 degrees.

Overall, I like it.

Winelover

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12