MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Load DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: Alliant Reloder 16?

Alliant Reloder 16?

I’ve given up on H4350. It’s harder to find than an honest Illinois politician. Research suggests that Alliant Reloder 16 may be a viable alternative. The problem is the lack of information on this newish powder entry. Alliant states it has a "similar burn rate to H4350" and is temperature tolerant. As hard as I’ve looked, I can’t find the VMD or burn rate information outside of the ambiguous reference to H4350.

What articles I’ve found on line are positive but they are few in number. Primarily I’ll be loading for 6.5 Creedmoor. Does anyone have any experience with this powder?

Boy, you aren't kidding about not finding data! According to this article https://www.google.com/amp/www.thetr...ant-rl-16/amp/
    43.8grn under a 140grn bullet was max for the 6.5, the author thinks he settled on 41.8grns for that load? I know, I'm not much help either.

Boolit Bub
    Alliant has an "Ask the Experts" web based question page which I have used asking for non-published American Select loads in various handgun calibers with good results. Perhaps that would work in your case. Please share their answer if it does.

As 244 suggested, I contacted Alliant. I asked for information on VMD, burn rate and any reloading data they may have available. Attached in a list of their suggested loads for the 6.5 Creedmoor using Reloder 16. No information was offered on VMD or burn rate.

Doing a very quick comparison it appears that the loading information is comparable to H4350 as far as charge weight is concerned. It appears, at least on paper, that Reloder 16 is a bit faster. If I can find some, I think I’ll give it a test drive.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for sharing Bravo. I hope it proves to be accurate for you too!

Boolit Bub
    Accurate Powder has a burn rate chart that helps me visualize relative burn rates. It doesn't just give a numerical list, but more of a band to compare to other powders.

http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-con...burn_rates.pdf

While a very good reference chart on burn rates, like all the other charts I’ve researched, Reloder 16 is not listed. I’m sure this is due to the “newness” of the product. What I have been able to discover is that RL16 is slightly faster than RL17. This would make it a bit quicker that H414, IMR4350 and H380 and a bit slower burn that Varget.

While I don’t blindly load a new powder based on VMD and burn rate only, it is still a good generalization of the powders expectations.

Boolit Master
    18Bravo -

Howdy !

FWIW -
    The newer IMR 4451 is right around 4350 in burn rate, and is touted as also being temp stable.

With regards,
    357Mag

Apparently Alliant, Norma and RWS powders are all made by Bofors. This list gives a comparison between them. Powders on the same line can be used interchangeably.

http://www.bushman.dk/sider/genladni...krudttabel.htm
    Cap'n Morgan

Boolit Master

Too bad that link/site is in German or Afrikaans. I can't read it.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')