Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Remington 760 Gamemaster

Boolit Master
    You guys are adding stuff to my "want" list!!!! That list was already long enough!

Now I have a hankering for a 35 cal 760 too...

Quote Originally Posted by nekshot View Post
    I didn't know if I should add this but it was a common problem. Slap the clip in and it would fall out with no fanfare at all. Alot of the fellows I knew had multiple clips in case they "lost" one. I took the trigger out of my current one and really studied the way the reciever was designed to work receiving clip versus what was happening. It is a minor fix and I have a thread here somewhere on it but mine locks the clips in as designed now since I fixed it. I left a beautiful left handed BDL go many years ago because the clip kept working down.
    Thanks for the tip. If the one I get has that issue, I'll look up your thread.

The 18-1/2" Carbine with Lyman or Williams receiver sights would be a first class scabbard gun for horse or Harley.

Banned
    Texas by God,

YEP. - A "hunting buddy" has a .30-06 carbine that "lives under his leg", when he's on horseback. = Carlos Garza, the leather & saddle smith from El Paso, made his saddle scabbard to fit the little 760 with 18" tube.
    (Once I find a suitable/gentle/quiet gaited horse/mule for trail-riding/hunting, I'm going to have him make me a saddle holster for my 760, too.)

yours, satx
    Last edited by texasnative46; 07-05-2017 at 04:12 PM. Reason: add

I had intended to put a skinner sight on my 760, its not tapped = ( Are there any other diffrences in the old ones? mine is may 1952

Banned
    zymguy,

There are any number of minor differences in the pre-1960 & the later Model 760s. - The Remington owner's forum has a couple of threads on those differences.

yours, tex

Quote Originally Posted by texasnative46 View Post
    zymguy,

There are any number of minor differences in the pre-1960 & the later Model 760s. - The Remington owner's forum has a couple of threads on those differences.

yours, tex
    ill check it out thanks !

Boolit Master
    A few years ago I picked up an older 760adl in 270, it's a great hunting rifle from Classic era. 1956!

Boolit Grand Master
    I bought a Rem 7600 Pump , 30-06 Springfield about 2 years ago.
    Why, I don't know ? ?
    The rifle is about 95 - 97%. It has been hunted with a little bit , but nothing other than some very minor stuff on the metal or synthetic stock.
    I put a 1-4 Variable power scope on it. This one is the " Black Matte " model.

I fired 5 rounds in the rifle at 50 yards with 17 grs. of 2400 and the Lyman 31141 HP G/C sized .311" .

Mine is the 18 1/2 " barrel carbine model.
    It is a shooter.

Ben

Banned
    Ben,

YEP. = ALL of the 760 & 7600 Remington pump-carbines are short, handy & generally great hunting rifles.
    (IF & WHEN that I find another 760 carbine with a pitted barrel, it will head to JES to be reformatted into a heavy caliber rifle. - My 760 rifle with 22" barrel that JES rebored/rechambered to 9.3x62mm is GREAT but I'd like a shorter model for hunting from horseback.)

I find it "interesting" that just 4 less inches in barrel length makes a MUCH handier rifle for horseback hunting. = ImVho, a 760 carbine (with 16-18" barrel) in .358WCF or 9.3x57mm would be really suitable for hunting most anything in the NA continent out to 150+M.
    (My little 7615 with 16.5" barrel is REALLY handy.)

Fwiw, I currently have 7 Model 760 rifles/carbines right now (from 5.56 Nato to 9.3x62mm) & all of them shoot accurately out to 250+ meters, if I do my part.

yours, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 08-03-2017 at 05:28 PM.

Boolit Bub

I grew up shooting a Rem model 760 in 270. Had a cheap 3x9 scope on it, I think it was a weaver. I probably fired my first 500 rifle rounds through that rifle before trading it off for a bolt action in 7mm rem mag. For nostalgic reasons, I missed the rifle so much I bought a used one and restored its stock. Both rifles handled about the same in the woods. Neither were tack drivers, but on the range I could keep 6 inch groups out to 300 yards and when the shot presented itself I was able to make a heart /lung shot. My longest kill shot with either of the 760's at around 250 yards. I killed several deer, a turkey, a couple coyotes and a wild hog between the two rifles and don't recall ever having to take a second shot with either rifle on any animal.

What did bother me about the model 760 was two things.

First, they were noisy. The metal arms that connect the forestock to the rifle always seemed to clatter/rattle/ or whatever to make a metal on metal noise. It happened with both rifles whether I was walking or just moving the rifle into position to shoot. If I could hear it, I was sure the deer did too.

The second issue I had with the design was the forestock. I like to hold my rifles just a few inches in front of the receiver. On the model 760, just like the 870 shotgun, that places my hand just off the front grip or split between the grip and the slide area. I had to push my hand farther forward than I prefer in order to fit my whole hand on the foregrip. I found that shooting off hand and quick shots often resulted in poor front hand placement on my part. My front hand just never really felt comfortable when shooting in field positions.

After having the same problems with the second 760 that I had with the first, I traded that rifle off too. I found the stock on a bolt, or semi rifle afforded me better hand placement and less noise.

All that said, would I still buy another and hunt with it? Hell yeah. Buy it and enjoy it. If you figure out how to quiet it down, let me know.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by texasnative46 View Post
    Ben,

YEP. = ALL of the 760 & 7600 Remington pump-carbines are short, handy & generally great hunting rifles.
    (IF & WHEN that I find another 760 carbine with a pitted barrel, it will head to JES to be reformatted into a heavy caliber rifle. - My 760 rifle with 22" barrel that JES rebored/rechambered to 9.3x62mm is GREAT but I'd like a shorter model for hunting from horseback.)

I find it "interesting" that just 4 less inches in barrel length makes a MUCH handier rifle for horseback hunting. = ImVho, a 760 carbine (with 16-18" barrel) in .358WCF or 9.3x57mm would be really suitable for hunting most anything in the NA continent out to 150+M.
    (My little 7615 with 16.5" barrel is REALLY handy.)

Fwiw, I currently have 7 Model 760 rifles/carbines right now (from 5.56 Nato to 9.3x62mm) & all of them shoot accurately out to 250+ meters, if I do my part.

yours, tex
    You're right, you wouldn't think that 4" of barrel length could make that much difference but it does.

Ben

Boolit Buddy
    I worked with somebody from Minnesota years ago and asked him why he had a pump action. No one I knew out west ever had one.

He said you can't rely on a semi-auto in -15F, and it's faster than a bolt action if you need a second shot. He put a deer in the freezer every year, and a box of ammo lasted him 12-15 years.

Results matter.

Boolit Grand Master
    Real hard to argue with that kind of success.

Ben

Banned
    jsn,

SPOT ON. = I have a SA Remington (with factory roll engraving) in .243 that is for sale/trade CHEAP.
    (About 400.oo in near mint condition.)

I'd like to trade it for another Model 760 in .257 Roberts. - One of 2 calibers that I don't have.

yours, tex

Boolit Master
    I have a mid 1970's ADL in .308. This is an under rated rifle, and perfect companion for 870 and 1100 owners. The slim receiver makes it a pleasure to carry in your hand. I have had good results using the 311291 and 311284 hard cast bullets, both using ironicly, WW760 powder. Average 5 shot group sizes of 1.5 inches at 100 yards. Reloads with jacketed bullets are of similar size, with an occasional grouping in the 1 inch range. For those who are not happy with the trigger, I believe Timney makes upgraded trigger assemblies and tune kits.

The 760 was designed as a big game hunting rifle. The typical off the shelf bolt gun owned by the average seasonal hunter with factory ammo, even many reloads, will not shoot better under hunting conditions. Many, but not all, of the reviews in the gun mags of bolt guns, which the 760's are often compared to, are with selected and tweaked guns, provided to the writers by the manufactures, insuring a good review, and are not necessiarily representative of general production.

Banned
    GBertolet,

TRUE. - IF I do my part, every one of my (currently owned 8) Model 760 rifles/carbines will make one big/ragged/5-shot hole at 200M. - ImVho, that plenty accurate for hunting.
    (IF I was a "target shooter" rather than a hunter, I could have my triggers "worked on" to likely equal the BA guns that most "paper punchers" shoot.)

yours, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 08-15-2017 at 01:17 PM. Reason: add

Boolit Master
    I see lots of comments on various threads about 760s and noise. I am a still hunter/ spot stalker so I move about a good bit. I have not had any spook due to rifle noise, well except the boom when I shot their buddy.... Anyway, I keep my thumb on the barrel at the interface between the slide and barrel. It stabilizes it during my gun mount and if I'm moving. Now on a sling, probably noise as heck, but I don't sling the rifle cept to drag deer. If the design does not fit you then you'll never be happy with one. As a pumpgun shooter for very near 50 years, it's " JustRight". I tend to shoot rifles either with my lead hand on a tree or fully offhand (shotgun style) when woods hunting so it's a good fit for me. On the tree rest the farther my hand is forward the less wiggle. Note I don't take offhand shots past about 75 yards, that distance I will have set myself up with a handy "bench rest kit" , commonly known as tree

Tex,,, got a picture of the SA 760 IN 243? Sounds interesting.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

I had a chance to get a synthetic stock for my 760 for cheap so I took it. It really reduces the felt recoil.
    After decades of using a Remington 870 for trap and as a hunting gun, the 760 is really easy for me to use. The action is second nature to me.

Banned
    tazman,

Fyi, I try to "pump" every long gun, as I've spent many years as a LEO & armed with an Ithaca 37 or Remington 870.

yours, tex

Boolit Master
    Strangely enough I seem to have avoided that tendency. Now when shooting trap or skeet singles with a pump gun I cycle the action just like normal until I can consciously suppress it ( less hulls to pick up). When shooting same with an overunder I never have that urge. Trained response I guess, just don't remember training it!
    Sadly pump guns are no longer allow by rule in Olympic Skeet. When asked about it I just tell them the ISSF figured out it was an unfair advantage to the pump shooter
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast