WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad Data
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Remington 760 Gamemaster

I've had an early 30-06 and a 70's Illinois State Prison .308. Both would group 2" @ 100yds with factory loads and 4 x scopes. The bills ate them but I'm gonna find one at my price some day and I don't care what caliber it is!
    Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master
    First rifle I ever owned was a 760 270Win--kilt my first deer with it I was 25 yrs old. Wish I still had it.

I got lucky with mine. I sold it at a time I needed the money. Later the guy I sold it to needed money and I got it back. That almost never happens but it has happened to me twice.

Boolit Master
    Nice rifles, I have a first year 300savage and my 57 that is now a 35 cal with 26 inches of barrel. Just added a 7615 to the herd too. Truth be told I like the 141s better but the 760 is a fitting descendant and still being made.
    I hear people say they rattle, I carry mine in my hand and have never had an issue. I guess on a sling things could move around. Mine are all plenty accurate with the 35 as the only with a scope. The 300 is a long time favorite.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

I have had a lot of experience with 760s. I would say they are meat guns, good enough for woods
    hunting deer, they will out shoot 742s. Back in 60s and 70s everyone had one. The last couple
    I had were hard to get rid off. I don't own one now but have a 14 & 141 which are a lot better gun
    of milled parts. The 760 being avaible in HV calibres is its advantage over 14/141 which was only
    in LV cals. 25-30-32-35 Rem. The 35 is only one easy to get ammo & brass for. I did have a 760
    in 244 Rem back in 60s.

Banned
    Drm50,

What I'd really like to get my grubby mitts upon is a Model 8 Remington in .300 Savage. - YEP, they made a few of those at the end of the Model 8 run & continued on with the Model 81.
    (I've actually seen exactly one, on display at the Dallas Gun Collector's Show. - It belonged to a Texas Borderlands Sheriff in the 1930s & was "outfitted with" a George F. Cake Company 20 round magazine & NOPE it wasn't for sale.)

yours, tex

Banned
    rking22,

WHO did the "reformatting" on your .35 caliber? = I've not seen a 760 with a barrel that long.

yours, tex

Boolit Master
    Hi Tec, I did the work, just a hobby. I picked up the 760 for cheap as it had a very short barrel made barely legal by a brake. Unbelievably loud, but recoil was nonexistent! I used a midway barrel and refit to the 760 barrel extension. I wanted the Whelen neck length with 35 rem powder capacity so used 308win brass and cut down 35Whelen dies. Its a one off so I could play with 35 bullets on the cheap. Shoots well and kills deer like lightening. Now that I have a 35rem m141 I have considered trading it for another project. Fun was in the process
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master

Slide Action Rifles

An agency that I once worked for used the Gamemaster as the issue rifle. They were pretty handy and training with them was much like the 870 Wingmaster as far as the safety, slide release and action went. Not my favorite rifle, but it made sense then and they were pretty accurate.

Now that I have a 35rem m141
    I also have the predessesor to the 760 Remington, the Model 141 Remington. Mine is in 30 Remington calibre and it is a delight to shoot cast bullets through it. It's faster to mount and for repeat shots than my Model 94 Winchester, is equally as accurate and balances well for field shooting. While I wish it was in 35 Remington, the low tarif on it (with RCBS dies, 200 rounds of factory ammo, and 300 unfired cases) required its purchase. I didn't need it, but I don't regret buying it a bit. Wish I would have had it in my youth when I did more deer hunting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rem 141 01-800 Cropped.jpg  
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 06-29-2017 at 09:27 PM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Banned
    rking22,

NIFTY. = I've considered having SHILEN make me a custom > 24" barrel for one of my 760s in .400 Brown-Whelen Improved. = The .400B-WI is equal to a .404 Jefferies & 'pushes" rather than "kicks".
    (I may just ship the current .30-06 barrel to JES for reboring, instead, because of $$$$$.)

yours, tex

Boolit Master
    Scharf, that's a nice 141! I've got a 30 rem also, same observations as
    you. I'm a long time pump gun shooter and they just work. I like the rear peep on yours, I found one for my m25 but not a 141 yet.

Tex, if my 06 barrel had been of factory length it would have made a visit to JES, I've heard much good and no bad! The 26 is real long, I just wanted to play with it before cutting back. There is a company that does custom 760 barrels and they have extra barrel extensions for 7600s , think switch barrel

Banned
    rking22,

I don't know who did the extra barrels but an old boarding-school chum from VA has a 4 barrel set for his 760.

SHILEN up in Ennis, TX will build me a .400B-WI barrel for any long-action 760. = Excellent handwork, too.
    (I've also toyed with the idea of a 7x57 Mauser barrel, too.)

Also, I'm a member in good-standing of THE JES FAN CLUB. = They do BEAUTIFUL work for a reasonable price.

yours, tex

Boolit Master

Aperture Sight

I like the rear peep on yours, I found one for my m25 but not a 141 yet.
    Thanks. It's an old Redfield and must have been made about the time of the rifle. With the blade front sight it gives me a military sight picture which I find to be the most accurate way to shoot a rifle short of a telescope sight. It really is a fitting sight for such a fast rifle like our 141s or any woods rifle.

I don't think that I've ever seen an aperture sight on a 760 Gamemaster, although that would be a good way to set one up. Those factory sights on them are awfuly coarse.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rem 141 04-800-90.jpg  
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Back when 8x57 was plentiful and cheap, I daydreamed of a 760 so chambered. Heck, I still want one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

I recently sent off my usps money order for a 1952 that had been re chambered in 358 win . I'm hoping to shoot lots of wheel weights out of it . Infact I logged on today to find some 357/38 molds and load suggestions .

Get ready for your new addiction-358 Win!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quite so, a760 makes a really nice 35 shooter! Check NOE website , I think its 20% off this week. I just ran 300+ 200gr 35FNs this morning in mine, casts great , shoots great!

Boolit Master
    I hail from the "amish machine gun" clan as a young boy thought all guns were pumps! I had my share of 760's and settled with a early 35 rem to keep company with a 81 semi 35 remmy. Both are accurate with cast and fun and kick from bad stock design.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    I didn't know if I should add this but it was a common problem. Slap the clip in and it would fall out with no fanfare at all. Alot of the fellows I knew had multiple clips in case they "lost" one. I took the trigger out of my current one and really studied the way the reciever was designed to work receiving clip versus what was happening. It is a minor fix and I have a thread here somewhere on it but mine locks the clips in as designed now since I fixed it. I left a beautiful left handed BDL go many years ago because the clip kept working down.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Someone asked who converted my 760 here is from the seller "First year production 1952 Remington 760 that was originally chambered in 35 rem. It was rechambered to 358 win by K.E. Smith who was a precision gunsmith in Southern California from the 50's to the mid 70's. "

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast