Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
RepackboxWidenersLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to me Marlin 1894 357/38 Spl!

Boolit Man

New to me Marlin 1894 357/38 Spl!

I recently acquired two Marlin 1894s one in 357 and the other in 44 mag. I created a second post regarding the 44 mag. This one is for my 357.

As far as I can tell it's was manufactured in 2010 so it's a Remlin. But the barrel has North Haven on it. I have had absolutely no issues with it and it feeds everything I throw at it once I get OAL figured out.

With all the research I have done here and elsewhere the 357s are not overbore like the 44 mags are and this one should be 357. I have not slugged the barrel to date but will some. I understand it should shoot 359-360 cast bullets well. I have an RCBS 150 gr SWC which is casting 158 gr bullets with the WW lead I have on hand. I am using the 358 sizer I have on hand and it is casting very close to that diameter. Accuracy has been OK but no where near my 44 mag. I have not tried jacketed bullets in it to date as I cannot find any locally. If I were to open up my mold to 359 or 360 where would I get a sizing Die for it?

Accuracy has been hit and miss with 14.5 gr of 296. One target ok other not so much. I did have decent accuracy using 125 and 158 plated bullets. I have tried Universal, H110, Win 296 and IMR 4227 because that is what I have on hand or can find locally.

I was able to score some 158 JHP Hornady from a buddy to try out.

I have also read that 170 and 180 gr cast bullets might be the ticket. Any recommended Lee molds to try? And what are thoughts on TL?

As with my 44 mag I have no idea if it's Ballard or Microgrove. Sorry for such a dumb question but I have not been able to find out what the difference is and what to look for. Excuse my ramblings and thanks for looking or any input/advice you may have to offer.

Boolit Master
    For new sizing dies and such midsouthshooterssupply.com and midway.com would be my choice, on the groove look in the end of the unloaded barrel and count the grooves 6 is ballard I believe and 10 or so is micro. My 1894CP 357 loves the Lee 358-158 and I think they make it in TL, another one that shoots great is the Lyman 358156.
    Hope this helps some' Aaron

Boolit Man
    Ok. Perfect it's Ballard. Interesting. Yes it does help and thanks for the tips.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    While just about all bullet weights work good , I've found that the LBT 185 works really well . Perhaps it's because I had a throat impression done and had the mold cut to that . but my other .357 carbines like it too .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Man
    Thanks Jack. I'll look in to those bullets. Pretty limited selection of things up here in Canada.

Slugged my bore today and it came out at .3565".

Boolit Buddy
    My Marlin 1894C is my most used rifle I own. Got an 1894C and an 1894CBL. The C is microgroove and the CBL is ballard. I must be doing something correct because my 1894C gets shot more than any other rifle I own and it loves all my cast boolits. My preferences for it is the Lyman 358477 154 grain plain based SWC boolit at 1200 fps for my walk about load and the Lyman 358156 164 grain SWCGC which I drive in excess of 1800 fps with ACC#9 and Alliant 2400. A more fun gun to own is hard for me to imagine.

358 Win

Can't get my 1894C to feed 180's but will gobble up 158's with no problem. The Henry loves the 180's

Boolit Man
    Neglecting the 44 as I try to get my 357 to shoot. Couple loads showing promise today. Will load more up for further testing. Winds were gusting up to 22 mph quartering at my back. Shooting at 50 yards. Again using what I have on hand for now.

Best group was 3 of 5 shots under an inch with 2 fliers opening that up to 3". 6.5 gr HS6 158 gr WW cast bullet sized and lubed to 357. Tried Universal, Clays and IMR 4227. Best group was with HS6.

Boolit Master

Marlin 1894

My Marlin 1894 Cowboy Rifle in 357 Magnum really likes a 180 grain plain base design sized to .358." Best groups as well as velocity (if you want an HV load) is with Lil'gun powder. My rifle is a day in and day out 2 to 2 1/2 MOA rifle for 10 shot groups through 200 yards using heavy cast bullets.

By the way, are you using the factory sights on your 1894? Those are pretty coarse for good accurate shooting. I always install a Lyman or Redfield aperture sight on my lever guns as well as a blade/post front sight. I'm sure that will help you tighten up your groups a bit and possibly reduce the number of flyers if you can find one up there in Canada. You can order a Lyman on-line from the larger suppliers. If you can find an old steel base one, that's good, but the newer ones work well too.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 06-28-2017 at 11:23 PM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Man
    Thanks for the tips Sc . I will see if I can find some 180s to try out. As for sights I am currently using the factory irons I will definitely replace them with apertures. My 44 came with skinners and that is likely why I can get better groups from it.

Goal for now is to find a nice plinking load to keep me entertained as I continue my search for the most accurate load I can find.

Boolit Master
    Dave,

I've sent you a couple of PM's about Friday.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Jack Hammer View Post
    Dave,

I've sent you a couple of PM's about Friday.
    Got 'em. Thanks. We'll burn some powder and launch some lead with the old 45/70s this summer some time.

Pretty limited selection of things up here in Canada.
    If you find some Lil'gun powder up there in Canada, send me a PM Ipel and I'll send you my data on my favorite 1894 357 load.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

You have a great little gun there. I shoot the RCBS 158CM out of mine, cast of 70/30 coww/soft, sized to .360 and lubed with R5R's Simple Lube. That combo will shoot 10 rounds into 2" at 100 yards for me. JW

Boolit Man
    Hey Idaho what are you using for powder?

Boolit Man
    I have an RCBS two cavity 150 gr (158 with WW which I am using). It is casting at .357 which I think is too small. I may try to open it up a thou or two.

I know I can get Lee up here easily. But the largest is 158 gr. anyone have any success using the Lee TL mold?

I have been doing lots of reading here on powder coating. Anyone having success? Recommend or stay away from it?

Boolit Master
    Powdercoat those RCBS boolits to bring them up to size !!!

I've had my 1894c micro-groove in .357 for many years. It shoots j-words OK, but never did well
    with store bought boolits.

A few years ago I decided to start casting to keep the brain pan working in my
    old age. This rifle was my target.

Then came powdercoating.

To make a short story, the Lee 125 RNFP, 158 RN and 170 SWC,
    powdercoated and sized to .359-360 outshoot the j-words.

The 170 SWC doesn't feed well so its the first shot .

The 158 Lee RNFP is bevel base and so far is not even close to the others.
    It will soon be a flat base.

It's too easy and cheap to powdercoat. If your experience parallels mine
    you will be mighty pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by lpel View Post
    Hey Idaho what are you using for powder?
    I am using 13 gr. of 2400 in RP and/or Starline cases. CCI-500 primers. COAL of 1.565. This load feeds and shoots thru my little Marlin quite well. As Sharf mentioned, sights are important, and I am using a Williams side-mount peep (forget the #) on this carbine. It is one of the handiest little guns that a man can own. JW

Boolit Mold
    Try the 185g Beartooth Keith bullet for 357 over 16g of H110-- you will be a happy camper!

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    My 1894 with micro groove loves the Lee 358-125-RF and 358-158-RF. I run them through the .360 die which really just lubes them and makes sure no funky out of round or oversize slugs get through. Both boolits will take a gas check if you feel the need. Don't assume that magnum powders are automatically the best choice either. I've always had the best luck with Green Dot, Unique, and IMR 4756.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Man
    Well right or wrong. I have ordered the Lee TL 358 SWC mold. I will be powder coating them. Hoping to not have to size. See what happens when the goodies show up and I can do some casting and testing. If I have to size I will order the Lee Sizer Kit in 358 and open as required.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast