WidenersReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to me Marlin 1894 357/38 Spl!

Banned

Probably as is with no sizing will shoot fine
    I really like that bullet. Worst case if you don't like it, sell it and move on. You will only be a few $$$

Boolit Grand Master

I wish you luck w/ a SWC mold. Mine feeds them but not every time. Some don't have a problem feeding them. But then there are the rest that don't like them at all.

Boolit Man
    dragon I have shot a few hundred 158 SWC in both 38 Spl and 357 in mine cast from my two cavity RCBS mold and have had not issues whatsoever. In fact it shoots anything I have tried in it to date. Guess I got lucky with mine. I don't think (hope) I'll have an issue with the Lee SWC.

My Marlin 357 cowboy won't shoot 158gr cast worth a damn, but it will shoot 158gr factory ammo fine. I have seen this result posted by a number of shooters over the years.
    I now use a 180 grain for all my shooting. 180 and Trailboss out to 100 yds and 180 with WW296 for 200 yds. That load will hit the 200 yd steel rams like a sledgehammer.
    My bullet of choice is this one, http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=36-175B-D.png
    It works in my rifle and about 5 others at my local club as well. Winchesters, Rossis, and Marlins all seem to like it.
    I have used it with a number of powders including, 2400, 296, 2205 (4227), Blue Dot, and Lil'gun.
    Hard work made me what I am today,
    Broken and broke
    Bob

Boolit Master

I shoot the SAECO 180GR TC in my 1894CS. Cast outa Lino & sized .358, lubed 50/50 over 12grs of 2400. Gets 2" groups at 50yds, when shot standing up on my hind legs, shooting like a MAN. And it has microgroove rifling.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Man
    Ok so I am having a blast casting, PC reloading and shooting my 1894s in 357 and 44 mag. PC has renewed my interest in casting. It is so straight forward I have no idea why I waited so long.

For my 357 I started with a Lee TL 158 gr 6 cavity mould. I am getting decent accuracy (2" 5 shots) at 50 yards using a near full charge of H110. I would like to get a bit better than that. May have to try to find a heavier mould as has been suggested here. But actually could live with what I am getting. Still looking for a mid range (not powder puff ) load. So far no luck. Any suggestions?

As for the 44 I purchased a Lee TL 240 gr 6 cavity and its shooting very well for me with a near full load of H110. I was able to borrow a Keith style 2 cavity 255 gr and it's shooting well in both my 1894 and H&R in 44 mag. Surprisingly no hiccups in the lever. So I may look for a 4 cavity in that. As with 357 still searching for an accurate mid range load but no luck so far.

All my boolits are PC. Im still experimenting with weather to size at all, size before PC, size after PC. Time will tell I guess.

Thanks for all the guidance so far.

Tin cans full of water and steel gongs getting a real work out these days. Life is good.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12