Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to me Marlin 1894SS 44 mag/44 spl

Boolit Man

New to me Marlin 1894SS 44 mag/44 spl

So I recently purchased two Marlin 1894s. One in 357 the other in 44 mag.

This post is about my 1894SS JM made in 2003 it's the 44 mag. I have been reading as much as I can as I am new to lever actions. I do want to cast for them both as I have most of the equipment already. The rifle came with a bunch of loaded rounds in 200, 240 and 300 Hornady XTPs. The 200 and 240 shoot very well in stout loads of H110. I have not shot the 300s yet. The rifle came equipped with Skinner peeps. It also shoots very well the loads I have been using in my H&R Model 155. That load is 22 gr of H110 using a plated Campro 240 gr bullet. To date all of my shooting has been at 50 yards. The loads will put 3 of 5 shots all touching and the others out of that a bit. I would say about 3".

I have a chance to purchase a Lyman 4 cavity 429421 mold. Which I understand is a 250 gr Keith design non gas checked. I have asked the fellow to see what the cast diameter is.

I understand my bore will likely be around 430-432 and a mould casting 433-434 would be most desirable. I have not slugged my bore to date but will do so soon. I have an RCBS Luberisizer and am wondering where I would get a 434 sizer for it? I understand I could modify a Lee to this diameter but am unsure how to do this and I would prefer not to use Lee Liquid Alox. I will be using WW lead.

Failing the above noted mold any recommendation for a Lee TL mold or steer clear?

I also have no idea if the rifling on this rifle is Ballard or Microgroove despite all my research. How can I tell? Sorry to ask such a dumb question.

Am I on the right track with this project? Do not plan on using it to hunt. Mainly paper punching and steel gongs. Any advice appreciated. Thanks for looking.
    Last edited by lpel; 06-26-2017 at 09:37 PM.

Look down the barrel, lots of trists or just a few? Lots is micro, few are ballard. Also, I've hear the Keith boolit doesn't feed great in the '94.

Boolit Master
    I have also heard the 429421 may give problems in a lever gun.
    Aaron

Boolit Buddy
    429421 works well in my Marlin when I use .44 special cases.

Boolit Man
    Ok just a few twists so it's a Ballard. Thanks for the tips.

Take the time to slug the barrel before you start thinking of a mould. Also check the twist rare. If it's a 1 in 38, you might have to stick to common pistol bullet weights. The 300's may or may not stabilize. You won't know for sure till you try.

Boolit Master

Slug the bbl with soft lead. I have a Rossi in 44 mag. This is where the adventure begins. On this side of it, I wish I had made another choice. Problems:
    Reloading die are set up for pistol sammi specs at .429 and rifle specs are to .432 Wisky Tango Foxtrot (sorry little venting) use a "O" press because anything that flexes will put offset the bullet seating/crimp.
    Second no one sells a size die at .433 except bufflao arms they run about $50, or noe has the push true so you can pan lube great option sucks when its the only one. I've tried the 429421 and 429244, both too small. Powder coated the 429244 and it works well. Tried to beagle the 429244 and it won't feed, 429421 won't feed the nose is too long. Look at NOE's Ranch Dog mold and their 290 g fn (I have this one and it is a fantastic round) but a PITA to reload (have to seat with my 45acp die and crimp with the 44 mag die)
    http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.p...fllo7cvrj8j935
    http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.p...fllo7cvrj8j935
    the RD looks like it will solve the problem the end of the ogive is .427 so it should fit into the reloading die and crimp.
    third option is http://www.rozedist.com/mm5/merchant.mvc
    at 13c/round its hard to pass up on some good jacketed projectiles.

Boolit Man
    Oh boy what have I gotten myself in to. OK I'll hold off on the mold till I do more homework. The twist is 1/38. I am ok with being limited to pistol bullets weights. So bullet weights will be between 200-240. I'll slug the barrel before going any further.

You guys are a wealth of information.

Boolit Master
    Neither rcbs or Lyman make a 433 -434 lube sizing die in my search. Although you can ask a Vendor Sponsor on this site by the name of
    Lathesmith who will gladly make either size RCBS fitting Lube-sizer 2 die for you at a reasonable price.

Boolit Master
    I had Lathesmith make me a .4345 Lyman style lube /size die for my lyman 450 lube sizer.I have a Accurate made mold that drops at .434 and weighs 230 grains cast with COWW.I lube in my 450 with the .4345 die and then size with a Lee push through sizer at .433. It works for me in my Marlin 44 Mag. Cowboy.

Boolit Man
    Good information so far.

Slugged my barrel today and surprisingly it came out at .429".

Boolit Master

YOU ARE A LUCKY DOG!!!! You have just dodged a massive bullet. the 429667 or the like should be right on for you. H110/2400/4227 and you'll be shooting them out at about 17 to 1800fps. Look at the Lee and RCBS molds too. Enjoy that rifle, you got a grate one.

Boolit Man
    So kf what Lee or RCBs molds would you recommend?

Boolit Master
    The NOE push-through system works in a standard 7/8"x14 reloading press.
    Tumble lubes are probably used much more than pan-lubing in these set-ups. Making your own lube is possible, but White Lable Lubes offers 45-45-10 at a great price (if LEE's mule-snot is to be avoided easily).
    Al currently offers an adapter for the Star lubri-sizer to use the same $10 bushings. Maybe he could be persuaded to offer adaptors for RCBS, Lyman, or Saeco... never hurts to ask.

After slugging your rifle's throat/bore and deciding on your diameter, check out NOE's selection. They will probably have exactly your size in stock.
    Adding additional diameters for $10 each is a great option. Your 357 carbine might benefit from the versatility.

Boolit Master
    Lyman 429421 may give you a boolit the is too long to feed in your gun. COAL of about 1.710. Std is 1.610" The Lyman makes boolits that can be used a a single shot in the rifle and is great in Super blackhawks. If you find a mold that gives boolits that havean OAL of 1,610 please let me know. Others are probably interested.

Boolit Man
    I think I'll pass on the 429421 mold at least for now and look for something in the 200-240 gr weight. Neglecting the 44 mag as I concentrate on getting my 357 to shoot.

I have the same rifle, Marlin 44s. It is Micro groove and needs at least 430 or 431. It is best with a FRN bullet to feed reliably. I've only used these with about 8gr Unique. All j word boolits have worked fine. Cast 429 diameter has tumbled on me so keep that in mind. 429667 yes!
    Enjoy!
    Scott

The East-Left Coast

"They took my horse and made him surrender".

Boolit Master

Your best bet would be the 429667. Been looking at https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...ain-silhouette
    However, I don't know for sure if this one will feed.
    I know for sure that the https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-p...ld-429-200-rf- Works well, chambers, feed and fires great. However, you may have to visit pat marlins to get a plane base gas check. And yes, they work great.
    https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-p...d-tl430-240swc Works well, chambers, feed and fires great. I've used this one in my Rossi did great. Cast it with the right alloy and lube it with 45/45/10 alox or ben's new alox/johnson's paste wax combo.

Boolit Man
    Thanks for the tips kid and kung. I am leaning towards trying the two cavity Lee 240 TL mainly for simplicity. I know I can get them easily up here. As for Lyman in sure I can source one eventually. Just curious if the 429667 comes w/o gas check or can be shot as is? Gas checks will be difficult to locate and I'm not really looking to shoot a steady diet of magnum loads anyway.

I did read up on Bens Red yesterday and may have to try that. Unfortunately I cannot recall the las time I have seen Johnston Paste wax anywhere! Almost a thing of the past.

Not familiar with 45/45/10 but will see what I can find.

Would the Lee Liquid Allox work with the Lee TL till I can find/make a replacement?

Thanks again fellas.

Boolit Master

If you have a home depot nearby you have Johnson's paste wax. Yellow tin. Heat up a pot, outside and melt the past wax mix in an equal part of alox, turn off the burner and add in some mineral spirits just to get it back into its liquid state ( the last 10%) it will keep forever and you may have to reheat it to get it pooring again but it makes the best tumble lube out there. Ben made the same mix but used liquid johnson's wax 50-50 with alox. I haven't tried it but Ben knows what he's doing. LLStuff sells the 45/45/10 already mixed and ready to go. http://lsstuff.com/store/index.php?m...cfa16927939339 that 16 oz er will last a long, long time.