MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: Any Marlin 308 MX loaders?

Any Marlin 308 MX loaders?

Been struggling to get an accurate load in ,not 1 but 2 Marlin 308 mx's. Have been fighting the jacketed bullet limitations and limited load data available. So, I cast up a 165 gr. pill, powder coated it and popped on a gas check. Used IMR 4064 as the pusher..34 grains on the low side to start and up to 36. 34 grns. gave me a 5 shot group under 2" at 100, it opened up from there. That is better than any factory or jacketed load to date for me. Has anyone tried to load cast on the MX rifles yet?

Boolit Master
    I believe a real good look at the crown might be in order. Surely they should shoot better than that with jackets!
    Look twice, shoot once.

I did for the SIL's MX. Played with 150gr PB & 165gr GC using LeverE powder. I pushed the PB to 1875, don't remember the GC fps.Both PCd. SIL could get 3 shot cloverleaf @ 100 with factory stuff but not me.
    Attachment 198571 Attachment 198572
    Last edited by popper; 06-27-2017 at 02:53 PM.
    Whatever!

Thanks..I have recrowned one of em. I think the other is going back up for sale.

Yes, I would think they would do better with factory. I get a popped lever and sticky extraction when I shoot the factory stuff. Bought 2 different lots of 10 bxs. to try.

I have concerns about pressure spikes with the LVR, Florida is hot 11 months and warm one. This was my first cast try, 1 flier. should be about 2000fps, I will chrony some in the next few weeks.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mxcast.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	198587

Boolit Master
    unless you are really fed up with them I would be slow to get rid of them. I have yet to ever see one for sale. If you did not try for 1500 to 1700 fps that might help. Get some confidence with a load and go from there. Did you try rolling empties on a flat surface (not rim) and see if neck is wiggling.(if that shows then sell!) Did you make a chamber slug(I take a empty and grind a dry wall screw short till it lays in cartridge and rests in bottom of neck, place a soft slug in that chambers easy and oil and tap with rod covered in tape and get a impression of lead and rifling. Thats more important info now than anything else) if you are familiar with this forget what I printed! Hope you find the happy pasture with those levers!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Thanks Nekshot,,,yep I'm familiar with slugging and no they don't have the droops...
    I haven't done a cast slug on this one yet, it was just a frustration move testing the cast. I'm going to load up some more and also load some J's with the same powder. I think I have 5 powders that are good candidates. So far LVR and Varget haven't been good. I need/want some decent velocity out of this one , needing 200/250 yards.

Thanks again