Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackbox
Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 20ga. to 9mm crack barrel is good to go.

Boolit Master
    Ok depends on your vision. Set the rear sight on the barrel and slide it fore and aft till it gives a good sight picture with the front. Many old guns show remnants of the long time owner moving the rear sight forward as he aged and eyes became troublesome.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Curious about your extractor. Is the original tall enough to eject the pistol cartridge, or did you modify it?

Boolit Master
    DAMM BATF makes all this stuff on purpose to make us criminals I swear.
    Can't argue with THAT.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Curious about your extractor. Is the original tall enough to eject the pistol cartridge, or did you modify it?
    I have not gotten to the extractor (actually an ejector) yet. Though i will likely just tig weld on an extension.

Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    Ok depends on your vision. Set the rear sight on the barrel and slide it fore and aft till it gives a good sight picture with the front. Many old guns show remnants of the long time owner moving the rear sight forward as he aged and eyes became troublesome.
    I think I am going to contact williams and see if they will sell me just the peep portion of the rear sight. I like the long sight radius of the peeps. My eyes are very good, and I could move the sight (fiber optic) most of the way to the rear of the barrel, but it seems like the perceived gap (notch) gets too large for good precision.

Boolit Master
    I have made several peep sights out of L shaped pieces of metal. To keep them from flopping I put a little spring washer on them. You can drill and tap the top of the shot gun chamber to bolt the scope on. Drill whatever size apeture hole you want. I drill and tap a hole close to the muzzel and screw in a nylon screw for a front sight. This screw can be trimmed to adjust for elevation. The little L shaped rear sight can be moved tangentally to adjust windage. The rear sight can be drilled and tapped for a set screw. I make the rear sights out of 1/8×1/2 or 1/8×3/4 flat steel or old hack saw blades with the teeth ground off. Of course you can use a black or stainless steel or brass screw in front. I like nylon and it is tough and highly visible in the woods but might be a problem in the snow. If I wanted to carry extra front sights, I would drill and tap holes in the stock. A nut can be twisted on the front sight to act as a stanchion. I have used this type of sight on a variaty of rifles and shotguns for years and they work.
    Closest recorded range Chrony kill (3 feet with witnesses)

Boolit Master
    I have a 357 Handi setup with the Williams converted to a peep. Parts came from my friendly neighborhood gunships junk box. Seems most people like scopes , so there are some loose parts for free !
    I had to open the radius of the base, used devcon to then get a perfect fit, just takes a tiny bit.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Quote Originally Posted by Ateam View Post
    I have not gotten to the extractor (actually an ejector) yet. Though i will likely just tig weld on an extension.
    Does the Topper share extractor/ejector dimensions with the Handi ?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by kywoodwrkr View Post
    Does the Topper share extractor/ejector dimensions with the Handi ?
    Thanks.
    I am not sure about interchangeability, try the search function, it yielded lots of info on turning an ejector into an extractor.

I went ahead and ordered this peep. Gotta lover numrich.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/530190

I am not sure it will fit the radius of the topper quite right, but that is what bedding with devcon is for...

Quote Originally Posted by Ateam View Post
    I am not sure about interchangeability, try the search function, it yielded lots of info on turning an ejector into an extractor.
    Thank you.
    I have analyzed the Handi conversion, and have made both replacement extractors and ejectors.
    Wondered what design changes there were in the two, Handi and Topper.
    Thanks.

The old Topper had a rebounding hammer. When H&R became NEF/H&R 1871 they went with the transfer bar system. So "Toppers" can be found both ways. Pardners are only transfer bar. The other parts are the same as far as I know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
    I have a 20ga ultralite, and did NOT want to sacrifice lightness.

Therefore, I kept the 20ga barrel.

I did though, have a 5" piece of .357 barrel that I cut off a 357 mag barrel.

I profiled the back like a 3" 20ga shell, turned the front to well clear the barrel in front of the chamber, crowned it, then chambered in 9mm.

GTG. Like having a 9mm carbine, but none of the weight.

Anyone that owns a 357 handi rifle knows you can't get it much down under 8 lb. my 20ga ultralight is like 5.5.
    Does that big empty 20 gauge barrel contribute to diminishing muzzle noise?

I am currently making one like yours except in .32 acp. I'm using the muzzle end of a cutoff Rem 788 .308 barrel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BAGTIC View Post
    Does that big empty 20 gauge barrel contribute to diminishing muzzle noise?
    I've considered making a .32 S&W Long insert for a 12 gauge single shot using a section of new condemned .303 barrel cut off at the rear sight cross pin hole. It occurred to me that one might fit baffles and end wipe to the shotgun barrel making it into an integral suppressor.

Slender tie rods could be threaded into the shell sized chamber insert section and baffles mounted onto these using spacers, the end cap with wipe then being secured by counter sunk nuts. Even without a wipe it would be very quiet.

The larger bore flare guns people have been converting to pistol calibers would be another candidate. The shorter barreled ones could have tube extensions telescoped into or over the barrel.

It seems so obvious I can't imagine that it hasn't been done before. The British practice of using integrally suppressed small bore shotguns with full length cans to dispose of vermin without scaring horses and cattle gave me the idea.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12