Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackboxReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Casting aluminum AR lowers

Question Casting aluminum AR lowers

My cousin and I were kicking around the idea while we were making knives the other day to try casting 80% lowers using scrap aluminum and his forge. I did a little reading on some other (much less helpful) forums that seamed to think that only a professional in a million dollar shop could cast anything but fishing sinkers. I think it could be done, but the process is the problem. Lost wax casting strikes me as the best option, but there are inherent problems with complex casts that way. The goal is to churn out a few boxes of 10 and 15 lowers to sell at the local gun show for about 30 bucks a pop. Sence lowers are not exposed to high pressure I figured that any grade of aluminum would work well enough to be used for a decent amount of time before they break. What do you guys think? Can it be done, would it be worth while, is it ethical to sell cheap parts that someone could need to rely on in a time of crisis?

It does not take a million dollar shop to do parts casting, I cast muzzleloader parts from time to time with pretty basic and simple equipment. Keep in mind that you have to account for shrinkage, you can't just use a finished dimension 80% lower as your starting point. As for using garbage materials, that is only an ethical problem if you don't tell people up front what they are buying, as long as you are honest and they have the ability to make an informed choice it's all good. If you have any value for your time/labor then I doubt you will be able to sell them for $30.00, also you might not sell many if they are $30.00 and garbage when a person can get online most days and find 80% lowers made of quality materials for 39.99(or less) and free shipping.

Just my opinion but right now is not the best time to be getting into ARs, since Hillary didn't win and there is no real gun legislation on the horizon I am seeing a massive surplus of AR parts and dirt cheap sales prices for them. I've received emails in the last few months for complete rifles(decent quality by known companies) for sale at less than I can buy the parts to build them for.

On the upside if you don't sell any, you can always melt them back down and recast them into something else.
    The Bill of Rights - Void were prohibited by law.
    Soap Box, Ballot Box, Jury Box, Ammo Box. Which one of these is still working properly?
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyR...83SK1hk2GT-Jqg

Boolit Master
    a buddy of mine does wax casting with copper and aluminum for fun, I've not seen a single product he's made that would equal a properly made lower. You might get there with enough sanding and finishing but I think the labor would kill the profit. Fun idea just as a once off though, to see if you could do it. I personally would not buy a homemade lower, nor a 3d printed, or 80% jigged, I just don't have the need for the risk. I think you are at the wrong time in the market to start selling these, i've seen AR's going sub 400 and others.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master
    Scrap aluminum will not make a long lasting AR lower.I have seen cast receiver AR's not survive shipping to the customer and the aluminum was not scrap metal.I have had considerable experience with cast aluminum parts working for an AR manufacturer and except for cast M4 buttstocks it was not a good experience.

Boolit Master

How does the quality of pop can aluminum compare to that from heads, blocks and transmission casings?
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master
    What about zinc..... we all seem to have a lot of zinc WW kicking around. If a plastic one works.... that would be a hell of a mold lol

Boolit Grand Master

I can list a page of things that can't (according to some) be done, but at least one of us did it.
    NOT SAYING it should be done or recommending it, but everything new had a single mind pondering the question "what if".
    Where would we be if nobody tried?
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by funnyjim014 View Post
    What about zinc..... we all seem to have a lot of zinc WW kicking around. If a plastic one works.... that would be a hell of a mold lol
    Zinc would be fun to try. I also thought about making a pair in brass to use as bookends. I would think brass would be too heavy to use for a gun build, but zinc could possibly work.

Boolit Master
    356T6 is used for gear boxes.A lot stronger than pop cans.

Boolit Buddy
    Cool thought, seems like a lot of ideas die at the feet of cost/profit margins or feasibility. But do it just to see what you can make. Take a lot of pics and do a write up. Good luck

80 % lowers have a decent amount of machining done to them. Threaded buffer tube mount, drilled and milled ejection lever holes, drilled upper mount holes. Drilled trigger guard holes. It ain't just cast and throw in the bottom to ship. As others have said, now is probably not the time. But 80% Lowe are usually more expensive than finished lowers....... Not $39.99, more like $69 to 89. It can be done, for sure just make sure you take shrinkage into account! Mags and uppers do have to fit!

Quote Originally Posted by CraigOK View Post
    Cool thought, seems like a lot of ideas die at the feet of cost/profit margins or feasibility. But do it just to see what you can make. Take a lot of pics and do a write up. Good luck
    If nothing else it will be fun to play with, money isn't the end goal, but a few bucks in the pocket never hurt. I'll be sure to keep you guys updated on any ideas or research that I do to help make this easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonerism View Post
    If nothing else it will be fun to play with, money isn't the end goal, but a few bucks in the pocket never hurt. I'll be sure to keep you guys updated on any ideas or research that I do to help make this easier.
    If money isn't the goal then dig right in and have fun.
    Soap Box, Ballot Box, Jury Box, Ammo Box. Which one of these is still working properly?

Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    But 80% Lowe are usually more expensive than finished lowers....... Not $39.99, more like $69 to 89.
    Actually they are currently selling for $39.00.
    http://www.tacticalmachining.com/80-...ceiver-66.html
    or you can get anodized blems for $34.00.
    http://www.tacticalmachining.com/80-...-anodized.html
    Pretty tough to compete with those prices and then there is the finished stripped Anderson lower I found a few weeks ago for $37.50(but that requires going through an FFL so it might cost you a transfer fee).
    https://www.classicfirearms.com/ande...wfor-um-closed

A lot of companies were gambling on Hillary winning and they stocked up with a plan to make a fortune between election day and anti-gun legislation...they lost that bet and now the market is flooded with cheap AR's and their parts and accessories.
    Last edited by StolzerandSons; 06-25-2017 at 10:46 PM.

Just depends on what you look!
    $55 plain, $64 anodized.
    http://www.submoatarget.com/80-Lowers_c14.htm

Prices all over, but yep, kind of hard to compete. Especially against folks already in the business.

Boolit Grand Master
    Might think about using used pistons. Check on the alloy first.

Moderator Emeritus

I can get Anderson finished lowers for $29.95 on sale... no machining needed!

Boolit Master

I think beer can aluminum is to the Aluminum industry about what metal coat hanger is to the metals industry.
    I build the Dave Gingery aluminum 7"X12" metal cutting lathe and it worked out pretty good. 80% pop cans and 20% motorcycle parts.
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Boolit Master

Find something else to make. Lawyers would love you if you do this.

I got to do sand casting in our metals class in high school. I'd look into lost foam or even glued sand for the cores before I went with wax. Wax is good for jewelry and things with a lot of detail, but it's incredibly hard to do and work with.
    Stay away from transmission's! Worked in a shop where we machined avianic parts made from them. Porosity in places we needed to hold tight tolerances on then hunks of steel mixed in through the castings. Great way to ruin a good endmill or boring bar! Junk! He finally, after 20 some years, convinced them it was worthwhile to go to barstock to make these parts.
    It can be done, but I don't think there will much, if any, profit in it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast