Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 22 Short Source ?

Banned

22 Short Source ?

Where do you get 22 short brass? I can't find it anywhere! I've been playing with the BT Simple set, and made a sweet little lead tip bullet using a short case and a 50.2 gr core with it. Trouble is, I can't find a good way to trim 22lr and can't find 22 short anywhere. I had a box of subsonic 22lr so I got 50 shorts that way for load development. I came up with 24.8 gr. CFE223 with an OAL of 2.135 for a 58 gr or thereabouts, round.

Boolit Master

not sure about 22 short brass but brian is working on a larger core mold for me to make the 22lr brass into a softpoint using my btsimple dies.

What about a pinch trim die? D

Banned
    BT said he couldn't make one

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    not sure about 22 short brass but brian is working on a larger core mold for me to make the 22lr brass into a softpoint using my btsimple dies.
    Yep I have a large core mold and am glad I got it. When you get it, try this way... seat the core backwards. That is, put the brass on the ram, mouth up, then seat the core. The thing will stage down and the lead will be flush with the case mouth. Then, point form, lead side up. This will make a spire point. Run it through the point former lead side down, and you get a nice FMJ.

Once I get a computer, I'll do a nice review on the set. I am most impressed with it!!!!

Boolit Grand Master

Buy 22 shorts for the grand kids, kids, and neighbor kids. If there are any "shooting galleries" at the local fairs or shutzenfests they sometimes use a lot of 22 shorts in a few days time. A rapid fire pistol shooter may use a lot of them up also. Other than that could a collet with a stop be made to hold the derimmed cases and trim 22 long rifles to length. Buy derimming first it would give more to hold on to when trimming. Or bore a rim cut in a collet for 22 rim fires. Also you might check corbins sight for these.

Banned
    Bookmarked it. Thanks.

trimming with a pinch trim is fast, always square, no burrs. Works slick..should really work good on thin 22 brass.

Mate, Look up all your pistol clubs that shoot Olympic Pistol matches, All the pistols that shoot Rapid fire match, like Hammerli, Pardini. Walther are in 22 Short... We shoot 60 shots per match, And usually theres 10-20 people.. So theres a easy 600-1200 empties for you...

Banned
    Good idea.

Boolit Master
    I bought both short and long .22 rf at sportsmans. Then just for giggles I bid $16.00 on a Rhom .22 short puppy revolver and won. It was listed as a parts gun but functions perfectly. And .22 long fit the chamber.
    Last edited by jdfoxinc; 06-26-2017 at 05:40 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Shorts are ALMOST rocking horse shiiit here in Aust. Had to make a device to trim my jackets down for a 40gn FBOT. I have never even seen a pistol that shoots shorts here in Australia. There are a few ideas out there for trimming.

Bill
    The bloke out in the field is always right until proven otherwise.

I use this method to cut down .40's. Don't know if it will work for .22's. Lee 3 jaw universal chuck and a tube cutter. I believe you would either have to find a very small tube cutter or maybe try something with a hacksaw blade or a dremil.

A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Buddy
    I have some 22 brass S&S for sale if any one is interested
    Inequality is to try to make Unequal things Equal Aristotle

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    I use this method to cut down .40's. Don't know if it will work for .22's. Lee 3 jaw universal chuck and a tube cutter. I believe you would either have to find a very small tube cutter or maybe try something with a hacksaw blade or a dremil.

Hey sasquatch! Can I have that pewter cup in the background to sweeten my melt? Lol
    So how do you operate your "trimmer"? Put the drill in a vise? Also what is the Lee 3 jaw chuck for?

As far as the pewter cup goes, you will be sorely disappointed since it is a cheap aluminum cup I won in Ocean City, MD in 1971 at a skee ball pallor.

The 3 jaw chuck is used with Lee case trimmers. I hold the drill in one hand and the tube cutter in the other. After cutting I through the little brass rings in the junk brass bucket. As I said, you might have to find a different cutting device for .22's.

Quote Originally Posted by ncbearman View Post
    Hey sasquatch! Can I have that pewter cup in the background to sweeten my melt? Lol
    So how do you operate your "trimmer"? Put the drill in a vise? Also what is the Lee 3 jaw chuck for?
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    As far as the pewter cup goes, you will be sorely disappointed since it is a cheap aluminum cup I won in Ocean City, MD in 1971 at a skee ball pallor.

The 3 jaw chuck is used with Lee case trimmers. I hold the drill in one hand and the tube cutter in the other. After cutting I through the little brass rings in the junk brass bucket. As I said, you might have to find a different cutting device for .22's.
    Thanks my man. Its 40's I'm looking to trim.

Banned
    Why trim the .40's ?

If you are looking to trim the 40's to make a nice soft point, for 44 or 45, I just place the edge of the cutter body against the wall of the three jaw chuck(you can see this in the picture). This gives me a consistent and even cut. I have one of the Harbor Freight mini chop saws but it leaves the cut at an angle.

Quote Originally Posted by ncbearman View Post
    Thanks my man. Its 40's I'm looking to trim.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast