WidenersSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee Precision
Repackbox Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oven or ovens for powder coating

Boolit Buddy

Oven or ovens for powder coating

Since I don't have a covered outdoor area to coat or cast, I coat and cast in volume when the mood or weather align.

I bought a cheap toaster oven to see if I like powder coating. Anyway, I want a bigger oven or muiltipal as to when I start powder coating I want to in large quantities (not fiddle around).

In your opionions, experience and buy once cry once minds; Would you go with a Walmart large two rack convection oven, buy a oven designed for powder coating such as the one Eastwood sells or buy two ovens with a single rack ?

I do have a PID that I can rig. I will still use an oven thermometer too.

A friend was replacing their Kenmore electric range with a new one. I snagged the old one (which worked fine, they just didn't know how to do the self-cleaning feature, and it didn't "match" the fridge), wired it to plug into my 220v welder outlet, and it works splendidly for pc'ing lots of boolits at once. I can also do small motorcycle and Jeep parts.

Boolit Buddy
    My wife wants to buy all SS appliances and I was going to use the old oven too but I do not have a garage or covered area so it has to be portable.

Boolit Master

I bought a two rack scratch and dent convection oven from Amazon for about $60 that really increased speed for me

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    For a "not a bulky kitchen oven" check out the Oster big convection oven at WalMart. Totally digital control and display. Holds temp within a degree or two. (Who needs to mess with a PID controller?!?!?) HUGE cavity, yet totally portable. Remember convection ovens run 25F cooler than what your want, so you must set at 425 to get your stable 400F. That applies to big kitchen ovens also!

I get 6-800 boolits in mine at a time with multi racks I made. Very inexpensive. And Oster is a solid brand unlike most of those cheap little ***'s most try to use.

Boolit Master
    I guess I was lucky as my first oven was a Hamilton Beach Countertop Convection Oven, which gets up to temp and holds it about as good as one could expect. The oven came with two racks and I made two more by cutting down and TIG welding larger racks. I can get 400 9mm bullets on a single rack.

I recently found a newer model Hamilton Beach Countertop Convection Oven at the Goodwill for $20 and snapped it up for a spare. The newer oven's racks are a little longer so more capacity. It too works as just like my old oven, which has cooked tens of thousands of bullets.

In comparison I have a new Black & Decker Convection Oven that heats up quick, but doesn't get to temp and and doesn't hold the temp well at all. Point is, there is a difference in toaster ovens.

Banned
    I started with a small toaster oven I had, it was OK for small batches but heated unevenly so I bought Hamilton Beach 31331 Convection Toaster Oven from Amazon for $56 shipped. I lined the bottom with ceramic BBQ briquetts and recovers very quickly after opening the door. The temperature guage was off but once I dialed it in with oven thermometers in the middle of the shelf I bake on It will bake PC and Hi-Tek in 11 min.(1 shelf with 8 lbs of bullets)
    I also recently bought a used Large OSTER model TSSTTVDFLI countertop convection oven for $20 from goodwill, it will do 2 shelves with 8 lbs of bullets ea.

Boolit Buddy
    I use a small toaster oven, but it seems to heat evenly. I shake and bake my boolits in a plastic tub. The bullets are in a plastic insert from factory round box. I put them in nose down put a plastic lid over the top, wrap with rubber bands, put them in tub, and shake. Once I'm done shaking I just put 50 rounds lid down on parchment paper and slide the lid out from underneath. I then have 50 bullets neatly arrange on the tray. I can get 200 9mm boolits on the little tray.

I do fine with a conv pizza oven bought from Wally, $50. It is 12" deep & two racks so you can do quite a few bullets at one time.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TXCOONDOG View Post
    My wife wants to buy all SS appliances and I was going to use the old oven too but I do not have a garage or covered area so it has to be portable.
    My $25 Craigslist oven. As far as portability- I took some old pallet wood I had and bought about $15 worth of casters and made a rolling base. Well- there was 15 feet of 10/3 and plug, too, which added a little to the expense. I could have gotten by with 5 feet. There is a 220 outlet just above and beside the oven in the cubby it resides in. I made the power cable long just in case I needed to pull it out for some reason. I can easily do 3,000 bullets at a time.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk
    At one with the gun.

Boolit Bub
    I bought a used toaster oven with temp control for $12.00 at a local second-hand shop.

Boolit Master
    I too use the toaster oven-shaknbake method to powder coat. I would like to get another at some point. Mine is a oster and the temp is within 10 degrees.

Boolit Buddy
    For those of you using the shake-N-bake, what baskets are you using or are you making your own out of hardware cloth ?

ADMIN

$100 counter top convection oven from Amazon

Boolit Master
    I originally bought the little Oster convection oven ($39.22) at Walmart, but the temp dial was a bit crunchy around the 400 mark and the temp swung around. Returned it and got a Black and Decker for the same price - the dial is still a little flaky, but I found one sweet spot that holds a steady 400 -- almost feel like putting a dab of JB Weld on it .
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ghh3rd View Post
    I originally bought the little Oster convection oven ($39.22) at Walmart, but the temp dial was a bit crunchy around the 400 mark and the temp swung around. Returned it and got a Black and Decker for the same price - the dial is still a little flaky, but I found one sweet spot that holds a steady 400 -- almost feel like putting a dab of JB Weld on it .
    That is funny as I have a B&D and it has a sweetspot too. I bumped the dial and didn't notice until 20 minute later when I removed it from the oven and found my boolits had melted some!

2nd hand store
    First a "Toaster Oven" then upgraded to
    convection oven like this...

You can use their base but I'm using a piece of sheet steel and just plunk it over the top of the Boolits.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    That's an interesting looking oven! What's it called?
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Oh, they are sold under many names
    Total Chef Convection Oven for instance
    https://www.safehomeproducts.com/shp...19/160319.aspx

- you want it without the "neck" some of them use

The pictures are all googlage but mine looks like the previouis posting
    has "Flavor Wave Oven Deluxe" on it
    it comes with the "plastic" collar attached
    Home Depot carries the other kind
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Magic-Che...QrUaAl2k8P8HAQ
    Magic Chef Convection countertop oven

with the glass bowl and metal collar addon.
    the heating unit is a disc so if you can work metal you can make a collar of your own dimensions.

I just kept my eye out when we went by any 2nd hand stores - lucky me there is one about 1/2 a mile away from the house - makes a good walk when it's not 113.

The "new" mod term is "Air Fryer" - so you might see under that as well
    http://www.fryerly.com/top-4-best-nu...-fryer-review/

We have two of the glass bowl bowl types (large and small) that I have used
    in kitchen for years - love 'em. The other one I had avoided as it looked to
    use up too much counter space when cooking. But it "clicked" it was perfect for powder coated because my unsteady hands couldn't seem to move a tray with out some
    of the boolits ending up on their sides now I just stand them up and put the
    oven over them.
    Last edited by Artful; 07-04-2017 at 02:39 PM.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Man
    We do 1000 at a time in this guy:
    BLACK+DECKER TO3290XSD 8-Slice Digital Extra Wide Convection Countertop Toaster Oven, Includes Bake Pan, Broil Rack & Toasting Rack, Stainless Steel Digital Convection Toaster Oven

https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-...decker+digital

Pros:
    digital control.
    convection fan.
    large size, does 1000 bullets at a time.
    It's $99.

Cons:
    fan is a little rattly but works.
    control pad gets a little warm, longevity?

Ours has already done 20+ thousand bullets and at least 50 cycles. So it's about halfway to paying for itself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast