Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: Imr3031, 311284, 7.62x54r

Boolit Bub

Question Imr3031, 311284, 7.62x54r

I have some 311284 bullets that I inherited from my Dad, along with some powder and his old manuals. The bullets measure out to .314, and weigh 220 gr lubed and checked, which I'm hoping will work well in my shot out, counterbored M44. It slugs out to .316/.305. While looking through my Dad's Lyman 45th Edition manual, they have a 220 gr jacketed load of 35 gr of IMR 3031 pushing it to 1960 fps. I'm wondering if I could use that load to push my 220 gr gas checked cast bullets. Velocity seems about right for cast. Worse come to worse, I'll have leaded my barrel.

Think it'll work?
    My alloy is so proprietary even I don't know what's in it...

Boolit Master
    The velocity might be right for Cast, but it does not transfer from Jacket to Cast in a linier fashion.
    But the Pressure from the 3031 may be your downfall.
    You might want to start a little lower with a little filler, or just find a powder with availabe published data.
    Sounds like you are just trying to use up what you have.
    But sometimes it would be best to Horse Trade off the stuff you have for what you need.
    You build the Crate to fit the Piano, You dont build the Piano to fit the Crate

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    The velocity might be right for Cast, but it does not transfer from Jacket to Cast in a linier fashion.
    But the Pressure from the 3031 may be your downfall.
    You might want to start a little lower with a little filler, or just find a powder with availabe published data.
    Sounds like you are just trying to use up what you have.
    But sometimes it would be best to Horse Trade off the stuff you have for what you need.
    You build the Crate to fit the Piano, You dont build the Piano to fit the Crate
    What do you think the pressure problem will be? There isn't any pressure data in the book.
    My alloy is so proprietary even I don't know what's in it...

TC A, Two suggestions: (1) Drop the charge to 29 or 30 gr. IMR 3031 and (2) "Beagle" (search this site for instructions) the mold so it drops a slug wide enough to fit your rifle's throat and bore. I'm guessing you'll want something like .318" if that large a CB will fit your chamber.

Boolit Master
    The slower powder usually generates more pressure at the same velocity.
    Lead can only take so much pressure before in deforms because it is softer than the Jacketed bullet, even with a GC.
    The Lee manual has a whole section on that and reducing loads that you know the pressure factor to get them down in the cast Boolit range.
    But another factor you probably didnt see was,
    You probably have an OLD manual like a Hornaday from the '70s like I do.
    Those loads were for using .308 jacketed bullets in .311 bores since not many people were reloading for that round.
    I found those loads back then were a little Hot when I used .311 or .312 jacketed bullets back then.
    The lighter bullets were ok , but anything over 180 gr the pressure seemed to spike.
    I mostly stayed with loads using 4895 or 4350 and never tried the 3031 loads.
    But my more current manuals dont show 3031 in there data.
    Not to say it cant be used, or even used with Cast, but you will have to start out LOW and work up.
    But then when you finally find a Good Load, You will be out of your stockpile of bullets that you have now.

Boolit Grand Master

Suggest you start at 25 gr 3031 and use a 3/4 - 1 gr Dacron filler under that bullet in your 7.62x54R. Work up to 30 gr. If it's going to shoot with any accuracy it will be in that range.

Larry Gibson

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Larry's advice is sound.

FWIW, in my Finn M39 I use the NOE clone of #314299 cast 50-50 linotype and wheelweights, sized .314" with Lee Alox-Beeswax, a 1 grain tuft of Dacron and 30 grs. of IMR3031 and it outshoots PPU Ball, the 300m sight setting on my PU scope is on at 100 yards. Velocity about 1800 fps.

This load does not cycle an SVT40, you have to go up to 40 grains for that, and adjust the gas regulator a bit. THAT is a full charge load. The powder used in Soviet-era "D" ball burns similar to IMR4064 or RL15 and 44 grs. approximates the heavy ball service velocity loading the 185-grain .309" Lapua D46 bullet.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.