Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: Convert cartridge to Muzey loader.

Boolit Buddy

Convert cartridge to Muzey loader.

It may seem an unusual idea but because of game laws and regulations in my area we are able to carry a muzzle loader of any caliber almost all year but cartridge guns are restricted to smaller than 23 caliber.
    So---- I have several parts rifles in 43 Mauser . I was thinking of putting in a breech plug to accommodate a 209 shotgun primer and altering the muzzle to become a bullet starter and away we go.
    I have no problem doing this with a standard 55 or 60 degree v- thread but it seems that all the removable breech-plugs are using a square or buttress style thread. I cannot see it being a safety issue as you still have the original bolt retaining the breechblock as if it were a cartridge.
    Any thoughts on this from a tinkerer or gunsmith who may have done similar?

Boolit Master

Since the bolt is retained, the breech plug could just slip in, no threads needed unless required by regulation. Get verification that threads would not be required, the make a plug that would just slide in and put O-rings on it to seal against blow black.

Boolit Master

Before all the inlines hit the market I was making muzzle loaders out of H&R shotguns. This included a new 54 caliber barrel and a breach plug that would take 209 primers. I had made about 2 dozen when Idaho changed the law for muzzle loading hunting season, requiring a percussion cap exposed to the atmosphere.

It'll work.

Once upon a time, I threaded the rear of a Ruger #3's .45-70 chamber for a Remington 700ML breech plug (bought new, directly from the Remington parts dept).

The Remington 700ML breech plug is already set up for a 209 primer, and just needed it's depth (how far into the chamber it was screwed) adjusted to achieve sure ignition.

I didn't alter the muzzle.

FWIW, I used to carry a collapsible H&R muzzleloader ramrod atop my haversack while hunting, so I could reload in the field.

Today, there's now a commercial version of a collapsible RR available: http://www.gunadapters.com/ramrod-collapsible/
    Last edited by pietro; 06-27-2017 at 02:07 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    at one time cabala's sold a rolling block muzzle loader. it used number 11 caps.also look up the original Remington rider rifles.

from what I have seen and experience the only thing a 209 primer does is add expense to shooting a muzzle loader.

Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post

from what I have seen and experience the only thing a 209 primer does is add expense to shooting a muzzle loader.

With a scarcity of #11 percussion caps in some areas, the ability to use readily-available 209's can be the difference between being able to shoot one's gun and being unable to shoot it at all.

Boolit Grand Master

Lots of info here http://dougsmessageboards.proboards.com/

If you are going to purchase a breech plug I recommend the Savage. I have converted a 1/2 dozen Remington ML's to the Savage system. That site will also have links to several breech plug custom makers. On the Remington ML (even with the Savage breech) don't used smokeless powder since the barrel is not rated for it. While expensive Blackhorn 209 is a bulk smokeless with some smoke added and is safe in all 209 primed guns.

Boolit Grand Master

Percussion caps sell for 6 to 10 cents each. 209 primers sell for 2 to 3 1/2 cents each. I would love to find a source of caps for less than 209's. If you have a source please share it.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank-you for the good ideas. I can copy a version of the Savage breech plug without any problem and use conventional v-threads to hold it in place. Before following your leads I Would not of thought of replacement flash-hole vent tubes held in place with a pierced Allen plug screw.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I'd love to see some photos of some of the "conversions" that have been discussed - especially the shotgun conversions - interesting and I've often thought about attempting it.

Boolit Master

I've been bouncing an idea around of sleeving a 50 caliber muzzleloader barrel onto an old 12gauge single shot barrel stub and then cutting a chamber for 50-70 government which is a blackpowder era cartridge to make a nice and convenient woods-walker forage gun.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    I'd love to see some photos of some of the "conversions" that have been discussed - especially the shotgun conversions - interesting and I've often thought about attempting it.

Here's the website of a company that converts metallic cartridge guns to frontstuffers (including Ruger #1's & shotguns):

http://www.smokelessmuzzleloading.com/SCRAPBOOK.html

They have some pics in the "scrapbook" section of their website.

Boolit Master
    at one time cabala's sold a rolling block muzzle loader. it used number 11 caps.also look up the original Remington rider rifles.

I have a friend that converted one of those back to center fire, and barreled it to 30-40 Krag.

Boolit Buddy
    I did the same thing to my .577 Snider Enfield. I had a machinist friend make me a breech plug that looked and functioned like a regular Snider cartridge except it had a nipple for a standard #11 cap where the primer was. I had him make it very slightly bigger than a .577 so the blowback wouldn't be so bad, but it still made a mess every time I shot it. I thought about wrapping it in Teflon tape, but I didn't use it after a few times. The blowback came through the nipple, too, so it wouldn't matter much. Also, I had to carry a ramrod around loose because it didn't have a place to store it. It is an idea that sounds better than it is in real life.

Boolit Master

Easy law to beat get a 17 or a Ruger .20 centerfire