Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Interesting CCW conversations.

Boolit Master

Wait.
    You've been married for 25 years, and your wife didn't know you carried a firearm ?

I don't understand how that is possible.

My wife knows to walk on a certain side of me, arm in arm, to not interfere with the draw.

My wife knew fully well I carried a firearm, I guess she just always thought it was unloaded?

I was at the range one time and there were three police officers there. One instructor and two trainees. They were using shotguns, one shotgun had extra shells in a buttstock carrier and the other one the officer had to carry the extra shells in his pocket. In an emergency situation will the officer stop to think about where his extra shells are, or will he grab for one or the other and think he is out of ammo?
    In an emergency situation your whole focus is going to be on pulling the trigger, not racking the slide to chamber a round.

Quote Originally Posted by nvbirdman View Post
    I was at the range one time and there were three police officers there. One instructor and two trainees. They were using shotguns, one shotgun had extra shells in a buttstock carrier and the other one the officer had to carry the extra shells in his pocket. In an emergency situation will the officer stop to think about where his extra shells are, or will he grab for one or the other and think he is out of ammo?
    In an emergency situation your whole focus is going to be on pulling the trigger, not racking the slide to chamber a round.
    BINGO!! At least it should be, there's too many other things to worry/deal with in a stressful situation!

Banned
    I carry cocked and locked for the last 40 years

Boolit Grand Master
    One of my instructors, ex-marine, ex-leo, ex-gunsite Raven(IIRC) said he always carries with a loaded chamber (striker fired) or if he has a DA/SA semi will have one in the chamber, hammer down, safety on. However, that said, he didn't recommend a 1911 with one in the chamber and cocked and locked. So, I guess, depends on the gun.

Carry an unloaded gun??? Ask her if she carries an empty purse!

Edit--I believe he meant that for the beginner shooter, the not carrying cocked and locked
    Last edited by rockrat; 06-26-2017 at 08:11 PM.

Nice on the purse comment!
    As for the 1911, I regularly carry my Delta Elite "cocked and locked". I'm not sure why someone would recommend against that?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    That defeats the whole purpose of carrying the gun.
    I carry a S&W 3914 with the hammer down on a loaded chamber. Can't get safer than that. That is why I like SA/DA autos. First round like a revolver the rest on SA.
    That fraction of a second that it takes to chamber a round could be the end.
    I suppose you could make his argument but I would rather be ready than not.
    I'm with you on that. I carry a SA/DA for that very reason.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by sawinredneck View Post
    Nice on the purse comment!
    As for the 1911, I regularly carry my Delta Elite "cocked and locked". I'm not sure why someone would recommend against that?
    When I carry my Kimber 1911, it is cocked and locked. "If it ain't loaded and cocked, it wont shoot!"

Attachment 198482
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Grand Master

There are issues in marriage that are subject for discussion, and others which are not.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    There are issues in marriage that are subject for discussion, and others which are not.
    Well said. Understated and succinct.

And, oh! so true.

Boolit Master

My wife walks three steps behind me, like a proper Muslim wife. Irritates the carp out of me because we're not Muslim and I can't hear what she says back there, she'll drift off and then I can find her, she won't turn her phone on. I've told her many times that one of these days I'm just going to go out to the car and come home leaving her in the store.

I always carry cocked and locked. I carry a 1911 98% of the time. The other times it's a Sig P938, cocked and locked.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Banned

just chewed my wife out this morning. I have a 43 glock in the truck she drives. I keep it in the center counsel. Went to take it out because my son in law is borrowing the truck and he doesn't have a ccw. She had the counsel locked! I told asked her what would happen if she or I needed that gun quick. Youd have to pull the keys out of the ignition, unlock the counsel and get the gun? Youd be long time dead before you got it out. If you have to lock it up or unload it you might as well leave it home and wear a good pair of running shoes.

Boolit Master

On a sidebar note, be sure to take your "pocket protector" apart for a thorough cleaning in regular intervals to clear out all of the lint and dirt that accumulates there, which will inevitably and eventually "gum up" the works. Not doing this can and will create a could-have-been-avoided "Bad Day" situation.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    One of my instructors, ex-marine, ex-leo, ex-gunsite Raven(IIRC) said he always carries with a loaded chamber (striker fired) or if he has a DA/SA semi will have one in the chamber, hammer down, safety on. However, that said, he didn't recommend a 1911 with one in the chamber and cocked and locked. So, I guess, depends on the gun.

Carry an unloaded gun??? Ask her if she carries an empty purse!
    That argument about hammer down, but carry striker fired always irritates me. What kind of an instructor is he? Aside from a Glock where the striker spring is held in partial tension, the rest (or most) hold the striker spring at full tension, Absolutely NO DIFFERENCE in a cocked and locked hammer gun. Actually the cocked and locked usually have more safeties involved than most striker fired.

Sorry for the rant. Some people have no clue how a firearm operates.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
    Thank you for the link; that was interesting reading.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post
    That argument about hammer down, but carry striker fired always irritates me. What kind of an instructor is he? Aside from a Glock where the striker spring is held in partial tension, the rest (or most) hold the striker spring at full tension, Absolutely NO DIFFERENCE in a cocked and locked hammer gun. Actually the cocked and locked usually have more safeties involved than most striker fired.

Sorry for the rant. Some people have no clue how a firearm operates.
    I agree. I've had Glock people tell me their pistol is safer to carry than my 1911. That's funny because I don't think there's a self inflicted wound named after the 1911.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Boolit Master

Interesting CCW conversations.

I have encountered guys that carry revolvers with an empty chamber on the first trigger pull. I figured this was some sort of corruption of the old west style of, "load one, skip one, load four."

I have also talked with guys that insist on carrying autos with empty chambers.

Personally I think if you can't carry a gun safely loaded you probably don't need to be carrying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 2ndAmendmentNut; 06-26-2017 at 06:34 PM.
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

The old single actions, without a transfer bar, sure, I can understand not wanting to carry it with a round in that cylinder. But as soon as its cocked it's ready to go, no wasted time or movements needed. But I can't understand that with a semiauto.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sawinredneck View Post
    The old single actions, without a transfer bar, sure, I can understand not wanting to carry it with a round in that cylinder. But as soon as its cocked it's ready to go, no wasted time or movements needed. But I can't understand that with a semiauto.
    No these were modern small frame double action revolvers. Loaded with only 4 rounds, first trigger pull would result in a "click."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast