Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackboxLee Precision
WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Interesting CCW conversations.

Boolit Master
    *shrug* when i first started carrying, having it loaded/condition 0 felt weird for awhile. I got over it. My CCW choices don't feature a safety so it's either loaded or not. Ruger LCP, LC9S pro, and M&P 40 (woo new holster!).

My car gun is loaded but safety on (condition 1). Bersa 380 thunder, so SA/DA just have to thumb the safety off. It's just a backup in case I forget my CCW or am going somewhere restricted.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

I carry condition I don't give a damn. IOW I worry about myself, and leave others alone. Nothing worse is that guy who is always telling people how, and what they should do.

FTR I carry round in the chamber whether semi auto, or revolver. I just don't care much for progressives.

Boolit Buddy
    In 20 years of being married to me , my wife has learned to ride her own motorcycle and she carries her own gun.

Duh

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Walkingwolf View Post
    I carry condition I don't give a damn. IOW I worry about myself, and leave others alone. Nothing worse is that guy who is always telling people how, and what they should do.

FTR I carry round in the chamber whether semi auto, or revolver. I just don't care much for progressives.
    This conversation wasn't a pissing match, and I didn't intend for this thread to be either.
    I just found it odd he chose to carry that way and I found it even stranger my wife would think I carry an unloaded gun.
    He explained his reasoning for doing what he did, I explained my reasoning for doing what I do. Everyone was civil, we are still friends and I'm still married. I just thought it was an interesting conversation and thought it might make a good conversation here. So far it has been, and I appreciate everyone's input and reasoning so far.

Boolit Master
    Here is a story that I believe is relatable to the topic at hand:

Back in 2006 in a far away land, myself and the other team leader carried M4 rifles with M203 grenade launchers slung underneath (Colt, of course). The rule of law from the king (BN CO) was that the M203 was not to be loaded when stepping out on patrol, but only to be loaded if in contact and being used. Reckon he didn't trust us fellers with them.

Anywho, we had trained for hours, days, weeks, and months on the use of our weapons.

Fast forward to contact. There we were, larger than life. The situation gets bad. Prime targets for 40mm HEDP present themselves, and guess what? Myself and the other fireteam leader couldn't get our M203's loaded fast enough to take advantage of the situation. I mean, we got them loaded but the wasted seconds opening the breech, stuffing a 40mm in, closing the breech, and getting our wonderful sight picture in lost us the chance to put them to the best use to end the engagement faster.

After that we said "F' the king!" and loaded our M203's prior to stepping. We didn't lose any time/opportunities after that.

The thing to keep in mind is the amount of training we had. We were very well trained on putting the weapon system into use, but you can't stop time; and you can't stop the movement of another individual. With that said, when I carry a gun it is chambered and ready to roll.

Active Self Protection on YouTube has a few videos of encounters where people didn't have a round chambered. They usually don't end happily. They forget to chamber a round, don't pull the slide all the way back and it jams, or it gives the baddy the time to shoot while they try to chamber a round. Or a horrible mix of all of the above. The videos are good object lessons on why to carry correctly.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sawinredneck View Post
    This conversation wasn't a pissing match, and I didn't intend for this thread to be either.
    I just found it odd he chose to carry that way and I found it even stranger my wife would think I carry an unloaded gun.
    He explained his reasoning for doing what he did, I explained my reasoning for doing what I do. Everyone was civil, we are still friends and I'm still married. I just thought it was an interesting conversation and thought it might make a good conversation here. So far it has been, and I appreciate everyone's input and reasoning so far.
    You can find it odd, but it still is not your choice. Talk about your decisions, and why. Liberty is based on personal choice, and responsibility.

IIRC, Sen. Cornyn wanted a bill to require an empty chamber when carrying. Then there is the 'bad' guy in KC that tried to rob a store, tried to rack the slide and got a jam. Youtube vid was really funny.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    As long as it doesn't deteriorate into argument, conversations are good. One may learn something (or not). In the end we all make our own decisions.
    R.D.M.

Boolit Buddy

I'll add a few things.

First it was common thirty years ago with the hammer on an empty cylinder. Even then that was a throw back to earlier times when accidental discharges were common when a revolver got knocked around and discharged, most of the time into the ground....so that's one.

Even as recently as five years ago, law enforcement in certain areas of the country are taught and required to carry their duty weapon without a chambered round. Now we all know the stores of this causing issues for officers involved in shootings.

So basically what I am trying to say is that there are still folks who are stuck in antiquated ways and think that it is the safest, best way to do it. Trying to change their mind is nearly pointless as it isn't based in facts. It's their "feelings" on the matter. I have and will always carry a 1911 cocked and locked. Period, end of discussion. I don't change my carry gun, I don't alternate, I don't try new things either. It's hard to improve on perfection. Now then, in the past when I had a law enforcement role to fill I took scrutiny for carrying this way. Never cared....

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Walkingwolf View Post
    You can find it odd, but it still is not your choice. Talk about your decisions, and why. Liberty is based on personal choice, and responsibility.
    To me personally as long as someone IS carrying a weapon, that's half the battle. If they choose to carry it on an empty chamber, I can see fault with it but I'm not sure I would make it a point of contention. It is what it is and people have to do what makes them comfortable.The decision to use a firearm to defend yourself doesn't come in minutes. It comes in milliseconds when you least expect it. That's not the time to be chambering a round....but I digress.

Boolit Grand Master

However you carry it all falls back to practice practice practice. If you don't put in the trigger time you WILL lose. I use to demonstrate empty chamber 1911 draws to my classes and to a man I could draw and chamber a round before the recruits could draw and fire. Do I recommend an empty chamber, no, but there are times when it might be mandatory. However you carry practice till the skills are honed in.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123