WidenersReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Interesting CCW conversations.

Interesting CCW conversations.

Yes, that's plural, was an interesting night for sure!
    We went to one of my wife's friends for a get together, done fairly regularly, and the guy I was conversing with has had a CCW for many years and used to run a search and rescue/cadaver dog, I could not do what he's done after tornadoes, so I'm not slighting the man!
    But we are outside talking and he's telling me he won't carry an auto chambered because he's afraid someone will come grab his gun and he's shot. But he's fine cattying a revolver loaded? I told him he may as well carry a brick, he's got better odds, an unchambered gun is an empty gun imo!
    So we get home and Mrs. Sawinredneck starts on me, "What was going on with the gun discussion outside?" So I tell her. She freaks out I'm carrying a loaded gun?
    Now to clarify some things, I met Mrs. Sawinredneck in Dec '87, we wed in June '93, she "knows" me! '92-93 she funded half a Glock 19 for my Christmas present, and I knowingly illegally carried it for years to protect her.
    She could not understand why you need to have a loaded gun to make a split second decision. Seriously, her words!
    So I have a friend that wants to carry an unchambered auto, but is fine with a loaded revolver?
    Then a wife that doesn't think I need to load any of them so I can give the bad guys a fighting chance?
    This is verging on divorce grounds now!

I've heard that if you carry condition 3 you have 2 empty chambers. One in the gun and the other between your ears.

Boolit Buddy

I like that ^^^^^^^^^
    Quote Originally Posted by spoonerism View Post
    i've heard that if you carry condition 3 you have 2 empty chambers. One in the gun and the other between your ears.
    "The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

That defeats the whole purpose of carrying the gun.
    I carry a S&W 3914 with the hammer down on a loaded chamber. Can't get safer than that. That is why I like SA/DA autos. First round like a revolver the rest on SA.
    That fraction of a second that it takes to chamber a round could be the end.
    I suppose you could make his argument but I would rather be ready than not.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

ADMIN

Its crazy if you ask me.
    I have pretty much carried 95% of the time for the past 4 years.
    Ever since a coworker threw a knife into my office (not gonna say AT ME but it landed 2 feet behind me), I carried.
    I have a CWP and it was against company rules.
    The thing about CWP is just that, its a CONCEALED weapons permit.
    No one knew that I was carrying.

But I really don't know the point of carrying a pistol that isn't read to fire.

Boolit Master
    it is his choice. I just hope he survives his first encounter to realize the folly of his choice.

Boolit Master
    People make their choices in life. They have to live with the consequences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I don't carry, but I don't go out much. We don't have a lot of problems up here in North Dakota. Next to my recliner are hidden 2 guns. A old CZ-52 that shoots 7.62x25 and in a small plastic case a Hipoint C9 9mm. Both are loaded, one in the chamber, mag in the pistol, on safe, ready to rock and roll.

Because if you need it, you need it YESTERDAY! Not tommorow.

You may not have time to rack that action. You may not to warn that bad guy that you are about to shoot him by racking that action. You may want to shoot "through" something soft and concealing like a shirt or pillow.

Why would you give any advantage up you do not need to.

I think it is going to take a very real physical demonstration to convince your wife.

So find her a rubber knife. Set rules for the game. Minimum distances. Then alternate between "role playing" loaded condition, vs unloaded. Get her to get into playing the attacker.

Let her see that in loaded condition you are going bang bang bang before she covers half the distance. Where in unloaded condition she can be slicing your throat before a bang.

Play it out, help her to understand. Carefully.

You need a blue gun for this, don't role play with real gun. It's one thing to dry fire, but don't point a real gun at another person! Even, even! When it is "unloaded". I do agree with working with her to understand timing....

Quote Originally Posted by sawinredneck View Post
    She could not understand why you need to have a loaded gun to make a split second decision. Seriously, her words!

Then a wife that doesn't think I need to load any of them so I can give the bad guys a fighting chance?
    This is verging on divorce grounds now!
    I believe they call that "Condition Fife" -

"Commerce with all nations, alliance with none, should be our motto."

- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    it is his choice. I just hope he survives his first encounter to realize the folly of his choice.
    +1 just hope that he carry's a wheel gun then
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master

When I first got my CCW in CA many years ago my wife too was agast that I wanted to carry. Like you, my wife knew my love of guns and while we were dating, she knew I kept a gun with me (not carrying as I was working construction) and she saw me take it with me to investigate a rukus outside my hotel room (was working out of town, where she and I met). She and I get an allowance each month that we can spend as we please. Since she was opposed to the idea of carrying, I used my allowance and moved forward. Now, she gropes me when we go out to make sure I am carrying. The biggest hurdle for her to overcome was the idea someone could get the gun out of the holster from behind. So I had her try and take the gun from the holster while my only defense was to use foot work and no hands. That convinced her! Before the resident RSO chimes in, don't read into this what doesn't exist, this was all done safely with a cleared and made safe pistol.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master
    Why don't you have her see this video & show her that even LEO know about the "21 ft. Rule". That may be all it takes to convince her about your situation.

G'Luck!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonerism View Post
    I've heard that if you carry condition 3 you have 2 empty chambers. One in the gun and the other between your ears.
    Plus ONE!
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

I cleared my 1911 and had her act like a draw and chamber at the same time. She actually did it rather quickly, but I'm not sure she got the slide all the way back and that wasn't under duress. I don't have a blue gun right now, so I didn't try charging, but I asked her if her life, or our sons, was in danger, do you want me to do all of that, or take care of the problem and have the element of surprise. She's still thinking about that one.

Boolit Master

[QUOTE=Love Life;4082827]People make their choices in life. They have to live with the consequences.

Or not.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    People make their choices in life. They have to live with the consequences.
    Ain't that the truth. If one wishes to carry w/ an unloaded gun so be it. I will continue to carry a striker fired w/ one in the chamber. Any other semis I carry have decockers and one is in the chamber as well.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I'm old and I've been shooting for over 50 years - and I always preferred a semi-auto (the few I have had as I have always leaned towards revolvers) with a safety on it. BUT . . . . a few years ago, I got a semi-auto 9mm - sold it and now have a 9mm Shield that I carry if I don't carry my normal Smith 36 snub. I'm licensed in AZ and in MI - not that that makes any difference.

I often hear of those who think it is dangerous to have one in the tube - and I guess that's a "personal decision" but it isn't for me. When I carry a semi-auto there is always one in the tube and the safety is "off". I use a holster that coves the trigger/guard entirely and is a retention holster. If someone tries to go for my carry weapon, then I consider that they are going to try and do me harm and I am going to fight like $#%#!

I have gotten my wife to shoot a few times but she is not interested in carrying - and that is her decision. But with the way things are getting, when we go someplace and I am carrying, she doesn't give me any heartache over it as I think she is beginning to realize that there are a lot of bad folks out there that can do you harm.

I worked ambulance as well as fire/rescue for many years and I saw more than my share of "bad things". I understood a long time ago about those who will gladly kill another for a few $$ for drugs or whatever as well as those who are out there who just want to do harem to others for no reason at all.

I have been shot at while on emergency runs and I fully realize that when a SD situation comes up, you never know how you will react as each time will be different - BUT - most situations happen in milliseconds and the last thing I (personally) want to worry about is #1 - having to rack a round into the chamber and #2 - hoping that I remember to sweep the safety off when drawing from the holster. I have no problems in carrying a fully loaded DA revolver and I have no problems carrying a semi-auto that is a striker fired DA only. Personally, I don't care for "hammer" semi-autos" but that's my hang up and I know a lot of folks like 'em and carry 'em - and I say more power to 'em! While others may disagree with me, I think that anyone who has gone through training for a CCW, CPL, etc. and is knowledgable about their weapon and safety is a complete fool to not carry with a round in the tube and ready to go - they might just as well not carry at all as they will not be able to react in a SD situation when milliseconds - not seconds - matter and will make the difference between life and death.

A short time ago, I had an acquaintance (who is pretty much as left as you can get) find out that I carry and they asked me why I would do such a thing. My answer was simple - first - I'm trained and it's my right to carry and second and most of all, I refuse to be a "victim" or have my wife be one.

Don't mean to get on a "soapbox", but in many cases, those who don't understand why people get training and carry or who an't understand why you would carry a gun with bullets in it let alone one in the chamber have never been exposed to real life situations where their life is in danger nor have they seen firsthand, the results of such situations. I cringe overtime I sit in the car in a parking lot waiting of my wife and I watch single women or senior citizens come out of the store - sit their purse on the hood of the car to look for their keys or those who are completely oblivious to their surroundings and what could happen to them. I'm not an "alarmist" - I'm a "realist" and with the experiences I have had in life, I sometimes ask myself why I leave the house without carrying at the times that I do.

To each their own and I respect that - but it's also a shame that some are so "penny wise but pound foolish" - but that's their decision to make.

Boolit Master

Rooster Cogburn,, "Well if it ain't loaded and cocked, it dont shoot!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncJ7zIXTiSo
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast