Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seeking dry rubs for those of us on restricted(Low) salt diets

If freezing immediately you should be fine. The salt is there more for smoked sausages and dried meats that will hang for a while. Smoked sausage being cold smoked for flavor and color not to cook it. That said when thawing bring it up to temp asap if cooking on a smoker and you should be fine there

Also the garlic celery and onion have been shown to reduce blood pressure as well. Do you know if you Chad is diastolic or systolic? I am guessing diastolic since you mentioned collecting in the pericardium vs in lungs and legs. Olive oil (virgin) is much better to cook with in either situation. Co enzyme CoQ10 is an amazing little thing in almost all high energy usage organs in the body elevated levels of such have shown good health benefit across the board. Many ways to elevate the intake of it take a look into them. Chad is a systemic thing not just a quick punch let's knock out the salt and limit water intake kind of thing. There are a lot of proven things just with the things you eat that will assist in keeping that nasty beast contained.

Boolit Master
    kfd-
    Not sure what you're referring to--CHF is Congestive Heart Failure--mine is caused by several things--mainly enlarged heart muscle and several years' worth of sedentary lifestyle topped off by a winter of pneumonia leading to Atrial Fibrullation.

I've been using CoQ10 in liquid form for about a year now...Thanks for your interest and concern--so What is CHad??

PS my blood pressure is usually in the 105/70 range.

Banned
    I know it sucks , I use a bunch of basil, pepper and paprika and cold smoke. Life get's less fun as we get older

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CHeatermk3 View Post
    Shiloh, how is it for taste?
    Different by itself. As the salt in a rub?? probably have the alterd taste diminished.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master

What freezing or whatever poster asked about dry rubs. They get put on then the meat is cooked.

Never heard of dry rubbed sausage.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    What freezing or whatever poster asked about dry rubs. They get put on then the meat is cooked.

Never heard of dry rubbed sausage.
    You should never dry rub sausage, it gets chafed.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mcdaniel.mac View Post
    You should never dry rub sausage, it gets chafed.

Boolit Master

Boolit Master
    Just looking for ways to make my favorites without salt.

As for smoking sausage I'll let that go.
    I make my own Italian sausage as it is nearly impossible to find a spicy enough product in the meat counters here west of the Cascades and now that I know I must limit my sodium intake to 2000mg/day I'm gonna make some without any salt in the mix.

Moderator Emeritus

I find it to be very bitter...

Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    Different by itself. As the salt in a rub?? probably have the alterd taste diminished.

Shiloh

Moderator Emeritus

Fresh sausage you can make salt free, or hot smoked and eaten right away (or frozen raw to cook later). It is when you cold smoke sausage you need the salt and cure to prevent botulism and other nasty bugs.

Boolit Master
    Thanks Mary

Boolit Master

Check out Penzey's spices website. They have quite a few rubs & season mixtures that are salt free. Just type salt free in search function & they all pop up. They're very reasonable too!

Boolit Master
    Thanks Clum but I went there and It's a bit too rich for this retired Papermaker--$66 for 2 Cups of "Mural of Flavor" is outta sight for me.
    I have the time and interest to dry and grind my own peppers and such and it's more hobby than chore for me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12