RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackbox
Snyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeking dry rubs for those of us on restricted(Low) salt diets

Boolit Master

Seeking dry rubs for those of us on restricted(Low) salt diets

After my trip to the ER early April I found out that I have CHF (congestive heart failure) and now am on a low-sodium diet. This means that most all my rubs and marinades recipes will need to be adjusted to reduce or better, yet eliminate salt altogether. Since I'm retired and love to cook and especially to BBQ/Grill I have found that the only way to eat well and lose the salt is to avoid restaurant food altogether and eat 100% home cooked and canned food.

We can our own garden produce esp. Tomato products but I could use some help in the rubs and marinades department.

Any help, recipes and suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

TIA
    Mike Maffucci

Boolit Master
    Tagged for future reference.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Moderator Emeritus

Lemon, celery seed, and garlic are all great salt substitutes. Friend of mine is salt free due to heart issues so I use ground celery seed and powdered garlic in larger amounts in her rub.

1/2 cup onion powder
    3/4 to 1 cup garlic powder
    black pepper to taste
    1 teaspoon ground celery seed
    1 teaspoon half sharp paprika
    1/4 teaspoon ground bay leaf

Those would be close to the amounts I use(I never measure so...). Start with the onion and garlic powder base add the rest to taste. She is a garlic lover so I use twice as much garlic powder compared to the onion powder.

Makes a great beef rub, okay on ribs if I add some lemon powder and sugar. Just add brown sugar for use on chicken(unless you like lemon chicken... hey go for it).

Basic marinade is oil/vinegar in equal amounts. Season with spices you like along with the ground celery seed. It doesn't make it taste like celery as much as it adds a salty taste background. Lemon juice can be subbed for vinegar in recipes it fits in.

Boolit Grand Master

A basic rub has a sugar (being diabetic I have to limit that) for glazing and flavor components. Salt is not necessary - it is a flavor enhancer in this use. Try your favorite rub as you have it without the salt and then try adding one or more of the salt substitutes Mary posted. Increasing the peppers, increasing the herbs, and changing one thing at a time is one way to go.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Thanks Mary and Wayne for the info esp on salt substitutes. I have a number of Pork rubs I use I'll try my favorite without any salt and upping the Garlic and adding some celery seed.

We use Bay leaf in most stews and such like Spaghetti sauces but I've never even heard of ground Bay leaf--do you buy it that way or just put some of the dried leafs in a mortar/pestile and grind your own?

Anyway keep the ideas coming please!

EDIT: I just typed "No-salt spice rubs" in my google bar and got a bunch of hits but most seem to be for made-ahead pre-packaged type concoctions--I'll check them out for ideas but most of that type of stuff may tell you what's in them OR may just say "proprietary blend..yada yada..."
    Last edited by CHeatermk3; 06-25-2017 at 02:07 PM.

lemon pepper, garlic, thyme and rosemary. we use this on chicken, beef, pork, etc.... Easy and good! you can add basil and oregano if you're looking for an 'italian' twist.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master

I can't have salt. Just do not use it in any cooking. Salt at the table for taste is way less usage of salt than using it to cook with.

Some baking needs salt for the yeast to work properly but those amounts are tiny.

Rubs the salt overpowers the other spices to me anyway and they are better off without it in the first place. Again on the plate the amount of salt need is very small compared to most using it to cook with.

Boolit Master
    I wonder if it would be safe to make any of my sausage recipes without salt? I know that the salt helps to retard the growth of bacteria in the ground meat, or maybe it's something I "know that just isn't so"? I freeze my homemade sausage immediately after I make it anyway but the fellow who got me started advised that I should use salt to be safe. I also put a tiny amount of Morton's Tender quick (like 1tsp per 5 pound batch)...I don't use any prepared spice mixes just add my own spices and other ingtedients from recipes my friend passed on to me. I do not put my sausage into casings just use as bulk/patties.

Vendor Sponsor

I greatly dislike commercial rubs b/c they are all too salty. My rib rub is simple as it can get, equal parts cinnamon, curry powder, and cayenne pepper!

We grow African Blue Basil and we dry the leaves and crush/crumble them onto ribs or chicken first, then cover liberally with the rub and put on the grill, finishing when the meat is done with Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce.

This gives a sweet, sticky, spicy BBQ that wins over everybody I serve it to!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master

I had thought that earlier this year the CDC along with a couple of other Universities released a study that showed no link between salt (sodium) and high blood pressure.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    For me it's not about high or low blood pressure it's about the fact that for folks with CHF sodium salt makes the body retain water which can and does, in my case, collect in the pericardium which is the sack-like structure around the heart. This makes it harder for the heart to pump blood and will if left untreated cause all sorts of heart problems including enlarged heart and eventual weakening of the heart muscle. By the time you're symptomatic it's already far down the road and not much can be done about it except to severly limit dietary sodium intake and daily liquid intake too. When the heart gets enlarged, it becomes smaller on the inside so less able to pump the volume of blood a normal heart can pump. Believe me, this is very bad news. Water in the pericardium can make the heart pretty much stall because it cannot expand to pump blood against the resistance of the water surrounding it. It's a kind of cascading negative feedback loop. The harder the heart tries to work the bigger it gets which decreases the volume which makes it try to work harder,,you get the idea by now I guess...

Anyway, no salt for me if I can possibly avoid it.

Moderator Emeritus

I use my electric coffee(spice) grinder to pulverize bay leaves then pick out stems and big chunks. But it is available pre ground... https://www.thespicehouse.com/turkis...eaves-powdered

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CHeatermk3 View Post
    I wonder if it would be safe to make any of my sausage recipes without salt? I know that the salt helps to retard the growth of bacteria in the ground meat, or maybe it's something I "know that just isn't so"? I freeze my homemade sausage immediately after I make it anyway but the fellow who got me started advised that I should use salt to be safe. I also put a tiny amount of Morton's Tender quick (like 1tsp per 5 pound batch)...I don't use any prepared spice mixes just add my own spices and other ingtedients from recipes my friend passed on to me. I do not put my sausage into casings just use as bulk/patties.
    Surely there are items besides salt that can serve the same purpose, say citric acid. Just speculating here, but it is commonly used as a preservative in food.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CHeatermk3 View Post
    EDIT: I just typed "No-salt spice rubs" in my google bar and got a bunch of hits but most seem to be for made-ahead pre-packaged type concoctions--I'll check them out for ideas but most of that type of stuff may tell you what's in them OR may just say "proprietary blend..yada yada..."
    Type in "No-salt spice rub recipes" and see what you get back.

Boolit Master
    MaryB, thanks for the link I will order some looks to be a good price--I buy most of my spices from the racks of plasticine packages found here in the "Hispanic foods" section of the grocery store or even less expenxive in the Mexican markets which abound in my area--as for example a 1.5-ounce pkg of whole cloves is 69 cents there but upwards of $7 in the spice rack with the McCormic spices in the little glass jars.

Nicholst55 thanks I'll try that search!

Interesting video explaining how sodium affects water retention: Skip the funny advertisement for powdered juice product to get to the infovid...
    https://youtu.be/yaMJD5KpDoo
    Last edited by CHeatermk3; 06-26-2017 at 11:47 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    I greatly dislike commercial rubs b/c they are all too salty. My rib rub is simple as it can get, equal parts cinnamon, curry powder, and cayenne pepper!

We grow African Blue Basil and we dry the leaves and crush/crumble them onto ribs or chicken first, then cover liberally with the rub and put on the grill, finishing when the meat is done with Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce.

This gives a sweet, sticky, spicy BBQ that wins over everybody I serve it to!
    Doug, is that basil perennial where you are or do you grow from seed?
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    African Blue Basil; according to this you need cuttings but who knows? maybe not:

https://ncfarmsinc.com/rooted-plugs/...FdSXfgodSPwGmw

Moderator Emeritus

Citric acid is NOT SAFE to use as a curing agent on its own...

Boolit Grand Master
    Potassium chloride salt could be a substitute.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    Shiloh, how is it for taste?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast