RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee Precision
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best velocity for match 200 gr in 45 ACP

Best velocity for match 200 gr in 45 ACP

I have found that my 1911 45 ACP likes 200 grain boolits. I am currently using an H&G 68 clone and it seems to work fine.
    Given the long history of the 1911, I am certain that over time, some powder charges and velocity ranges have become the "standard" for target shooting with this combination.
    Since I don't have a need to reinvent the wheel by myself, my questions are--

What is usually the best velocity range for accuracy with this combination?
    What has become the most accepted/successful load for this boolit and cartridge combination over the years?

Boolit Grand Master

Some depends on what you want. Some shoot a "ball" load in the 850 fps-875 fps range and a slightly harder bullet or to make match requirements as to power factor or ft lbs needs ( bowling pins, plates, Ispc ). Other go to a light load around 700 fps - 750 fps. This may require a lighter spring for reliable functioning feeding though. Ive had good results with bullseye in the lighter loads range around 700 fps. The upper end I normally use ww231 for.

No power factor requirements for what I do. Punching paper for accuracy is all this is about.
    Replacement recoil springs are easy to get and install. Just need to know which I might need.

Boolit Master
    My match load for IPSC was 5.6 231 behind the H&G 68. You could drop down some if you like and spring as needed for reliable function.

Don't quote me as I'm going from memory here(notes are long gone) but IIRC 4.0 231 and 12# spring in my Gold cup worked well.

Boolit Master
    4.5 grains winchester 452AA ( now superTarget) and the H&G 68 with Federal STD Pistol primer ran 775 FPS for so many rounds my buddy thought his Crony was broke then we got a 776!

at 25 yards this will put 5 rounds in a hole you can cover with a quarter! and shoot all day and not beat up the gun to boot!

Add in the fact that this is the cleanest burning powder I have ever used in a 45 and you got the best load ever!

HM

Boolit Master
    HM--how does that stuff meter--I'll be putting it thru a Dillon RL550?

Boolit Master

The sweet spot for a cast lead 200 gn.H&G 68 is 775 to 800 FPS. Popular loads for Bullseye shooters are 4.2 to 4.5 gns. of Bullseye powder. Others popular powders are WW231,WST,VV310' solo 1000. Taper crimping the bullet to an outside case diameter of .469/.470 helps also.

I don't shoot matches anymore but 5 grs Bullseye under the 200 gr H&G is my all purpose load in all 3 of my .45 autos. Great for called in Turkeys as well.

Boolit Master
    I've run the 452 and super target with no problem through a Dillon 450B which soon became the 550 good powder meters clean and very little if any discrepancy hence the incredible Crony reading!

Boolit Grand Master

5.3 gr 231 has been my go to for a long time with a HG clone by MP.

Accurate in my 1911 and functions with standard set up. Soft shooting and enjoyable.

Boolit Master
    I have an old printout of "Encyclopedia of Bullseye Pistol" that I got online ten or more years ago. It mentions best velocity for competition using a 200 grain SWC (probably #68, clone, or something very close) of 730-780 fps.

Thank you all for responding. This is exactly the kind of data I was looking for.
    Please keep it coming. The more data the better.

Boolit Man
    I have very accurate results using 3.7gr of Bullseye with a Dardas 200 LSWC. YMMV My pistols run fine with stock recoil springs. I do run 19# mainsprings.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    For timed and rapid-fire Camp Perry style bullseye competition 4.5 grains of 452AA or WST with H&G68 is the Go-To Load.

For 50-yards slow fire to better buck the wind adjust charge to 830 +/-30 fps. about 4.8 grains of WST or 5.2 of W231

To meet IPSC power factor adjust charge to 880+/- 30 fps, 5.0 grains of WST or 5.8 of W231.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Bub
    I like 4.6 - 4.7 gr Titegroup for punching paper, cans, clay birds on the berm etc.

Boolit Buddy
    Good evening,
    I have cast, loaded and shot so many H&G #68's I have asked my wife to get my grave marker in that shape

I am loading 3.4gr of TiteWad right now for punching paper at the 20 yard line. I have shot this load for 2 years. It works really well. TiteWad is/was the cheapest powder you could get here for the last couple of years. Hodgdon data lists a starting load at 3.6grs with 200gr LSWC and 816 fps. I have also used up a 8 pound jug of Clays, WW231 and several jugs of Bullseye. I did load some with WW540 (now HS-6) can't remember how well it worked? I am guessing good enough. I can't remember any really bad powders with the 45ACP. When I was shooting more and at different clubs somebody would say "Hey....So and So is using XX powder and they just cleaned the slow/timed/rapid, take your pick, target" and everybody would be buying that powder and trying to re-create those results. I am sure other will jump in with more info. I have always started with loads that won't work the slide and worked up until the pistol functioned reliable and accuracy was good. I always used a Ransom Rest back then and "most" reasonable loads shot better than "most" guy's can hold. Remember.....Paper is easy to kill!!!
    Have a fantastic week

Boolit Master

A couple other things worth considering:

The original, go-to-war .45ACP load of about 1905-1907 was a 200 grain bullet around 900fps.

A lot of the "accuracy loads" of NRA Bullseye are really accurate, and in the lower velocity bands, but it's worth remembering that while the 50 yard slow fire stage is essentially unlimited for time at a minute per shot, the 25 yard timed and rapid fire stages are 20 and 10 seconds for five shots, respectively. For that aspect of the game "accuracy" is more a matter of getting out of recoil and recovering your sight picture quickly than mechanical repeatability.

The loads actually intended to kill things can be very accurate. It's more likely going to come down to how recoil affects your ability to shoot. Might be worth involving a chronograph that will give you objective numbers during your load workup - it's not that the soft loads necessarily shoot more consistently, but that you might shoot more consistently with softer loads.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

I like 750 to 800. That is the Only bullet I load in 45 ACP.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Well lets see, the 452 loads with the 200s were developed by the AMU. I shot several canisters of the stuff, literally, back when it came in 10 pound cans. WW change the designation to WST now it is Super Target, same, same. Very Clean, very stable velocity, you can run a SD of 4, with a profile or taper crimp, so adjusting to a just over the brink on a factor is easy and the recoil pulse is a push not a snap or slap. Hard to beat a 452 shooter on a speed course.
    As it shoots so clean, I ran it in my comp guns and 25-2 for about 30 years. Plus used it with the 200, 230 RN & TC and the Lyman 252gr as cast SWC 45 Auto Rim bullet as a pin load, then also with various 9mm cast 115 to 147gr. I use 231 now and then, when I am out of the other powder, it works well also.
    Ed
    "Let us speak courteously, fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Teddy Roosevelt, May 13, 1903

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sur-shot View Post
    Well lets see, the 452 loads with the 200s were developed by the AMU. I shot several canisters of the stuff, literally, back when it came in 10 pound cans. WW change the designation to WST now it is Super Target, same, same. Very Clean, very stable velocity, you can run a SD of 4, with a profile or taper crimp, so adjusting to a just over the brink on a factor is easy and the recoil pulse is a push not a snap or slap. Hard to beat a 452 shooter on a speed course.
    As it shoots so clean, I ran it in my comp guns and 25-2 for about 30 years. Plus used it with the 200, 230 RN & TC and the Lyman 252gr as cast SWC 45 Auto Rim bullet as a pin load, then also with various 9mm cast 115 to 147gr. I use 231 now and then, when I am out of the other powder, it works well also.
    Ed
    I love WST in my .45, and it smells good too.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast