RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Great books to read.

"A Terrible Glory, Custer and the Little Bighorn, The Last Great Battle of the American West" by James Donovan. Great read best book about the Little Bighorn I've ever read.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo View Post
    Somewhat off the thrust of this thread, but - I am halfway through a book that I can't finish, because when I pick it up to read some more, I only make a page or two before I'm Mad As He[[. At Lyndon Baines Johnson and Robert Strange McNamara. The title is 'Dereliction Of Duty', by McMaster, and relates how LBJ extended the VN War to guarantee his re-election in 1968. The lies they told, the lies the Chief Of Staff (and others) told, &cetera, just make one want to dig the corpses up and cut 'em in chunks, grind them up, mix with fecal matter, and dump in the deepest ocean.
    Rant Over.
    When I read it, I felt the same anger you did. "Matterhorn" is a Vietnam book recommended to me by former USMC Commandant Charles Krulak and it is very good.

Boolit Master
    Brown Dog by Jim Harrison. Set in the U.P.

Cosmic Charlie, thanks. My indian / dad's side of the family is from up there.

I just finished Silence of the North By Olive Fredrickson. It was good. Tough woman, and tough breed of folks from that era and place thats for sure.

Now i've acquired and read,

North of the Sun - Fred Hatfield
    When Alaska was free - Knut Peterson
    Winter Watch - James Ramsey

All three were real good, North of the Sun was something else. Winter Watch though happens in our times and I can connect more with it. I like the style of a daily journal entry, in the modern times. Anyone have any suggestions along these lines?

Boolit Master

She's been mentioned. But the Book: " I Married Adventure by Osa Johnson" .

If you read between the lines it'll put chills down your spine.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

A few but not all, Ike the Soldier by Merle Miller. Very comprehensive. The First American, The life and times of Benjamin Franklin.
    D-Day by Stephen E. Ambrose, and Undaunted Courage also by Ambrose. Washington's Crossing by David Hackett Fischer, this is one of those "I can't put it down." books. Here is The First Salute by Barbara W. Tuchman, a masterful writer. Here is a bit of the jacket blurb. On November 16, 1776, a ship flying the red-and-white striped flag of the Continent Congress entered the port of St. Eustatius in the West Indies. Adhering to custom on entering a foreign port, the ship fired a salute, and the guns of the island's fort returned a ritual response. This act of recognition acknowledged that the vessel and it's flag represented a legitimate nation. It was the first official salute to the United States of America. And most recently "Team of Rivals" by Doris Kearns Goodwin. Subtitled The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln. Bon Apatite.
    Ole Jack
    ps all but one of these books were found used at the Goodwill outlet store. All were priced at 20 cents across the spine. My Gastroenterologist at the VA hospital gave me the Barbara W. Tuchman book. He is a great friend.
    OJ
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Boolit Grand Master
    I like anything by David Baldacci.
    I have some old hunting/fishing book I don't need anymore.
    Library didn't want them.
    damacrat state.

Banned

Lately, I've begun to read one I read a few years ago, it's on the Marine Corps' reading list for junior Marines and it is a good one, C.S. Forrester's Rifleman Dodd.

I became a fan of Cormac McArthy a few years ago. He's not for everybody and I personally thought his signature work, Blood Meridian, was awful, but his Border Trilogy All the Pretty Horses, The Crossing and Cities of the Plain is an awesome set of books, particularly The Crossing.

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    I really don't read many books about hunting at all. I do read some gun related books, mostly by 0'Connor, Venturino and some guy named Taffin.
    Most of my library is composed of military history(focus on World War II) and paleontology(mostly human evolution, dinosaurs and the mega fauna, such as cave bears, smilodon, mastodons,etc).
    Also read a lot of science fiction.

I really dont like military books, or war movies for that matter. I surely like the Richard Proenneke videos and books though.

Boolit Buddy

Thomas Jefferson and the Pirates of Tripoli- Kilmeade
    Unbroken- Hillenbrand
    The War Stories Series- Oliver North
    Killing Lincoln- OReily
    Stronger, Prouder and Greater!

Boolit Master

A Farewell To Arms - Ernest Hemingway

Boolit Master
    Unintended Consequences, by John Ross

Here is a .pdf file/ ebook is anyone is interested...
    https://billstclair.com/Unintended-Consequences.pdf
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    Another vote for Unintended Consequences...John Ross...Really hard to find! Probably get your name on some sort of subversive "watch list" for buying/reading it! But, that didn't cause a problem when I renewed my Passport! Hmmmmm...soooo...maybe not.
    Death In the Long Grass...Peter Hathaway Capstick
    The New Testament
    The Book of Mormon...Another Testament of Jesus Christ
    The Hunting Rifle...Jack O'Connor
    The Flight of the Intruder...Koontz. The first of a good series
    Without Remorse, Patriot Games, and Clear and Present Danger...Tom Clancy. The movie Hunt for Red October is better than the book!
    Chicken Hawk...Viet Nam helicopter pilot autobiography...I forget the author
    Things That Matter...Charles Krauthammer
    The Harry Potter series
    The Aubrey and Maturin series (All 21) Patrick O'brian. I read 'em all about every 5 years...the movie "Master and Commander "is a pretty good synthesis of two of the series...Master and Commander, and The Far Side of the World.
    The A.D. Chronicles...Thoene
    The Harry Potter series...J.K. Rowling
    Centennial...Michener
    Glory Road...Heinlein
    Last edited by sniper; 11-25-2018 at 01:03 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123