RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
WidenersRepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Great books to read.

Great books to read.

Was looking through the overpriced stuff at my local goodwill today and I ran across a 1970 edition of "Shots at whitetails" by Lawrence Koller. Never heard of it, but I could tell right off it was heck of a find for 2.00.

Got me to thinking, what does everyone else have on their shelf?

Others I have read that I enjoyed include

Bear tales for the ages, Larry Kaniut
    Cheating death, Kaniut
    Strategic Relocation, Joel Skousen
    The Final Frontiersman, Campbell. This was about Heimo and Edna Korth of The ANWR In AK
    One mans Wilderness, Keith
    Call of the American Wild, Guy Grieve

Still working on, Modern whitetail hunting by Hanback, Bear tales of AK By Kaniut, and Where white men fear to tread By Russell Means.

Im looking to get a copy of Sixguns, Hell I was there, Firearms tools and traps of the mountain men by Carl Russell, along with a few others.

So what do yall read or suggest?

Thanks

~Bazoo
    Last edited by Bazoo; 06-25-2017 at 04:03 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

The silence of the North by Olive A Fredrickson., Tough trip through Paradise, Andrew Garcia, Mike Lupinski's books on elk hunting, Coronados Children & The Mexico I like by J Frank Dobie. Also I'll tell you a tale and Apache Gold and Yaqui Silver by same. Read of the three or four books by Howard Copenhaver and Bud Cheff wrote a couple as well.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy
    Pioneer Life or 30 Years a Hunter by Phillip Tomme. It's a great, easy to read book about the area where I live
    Domari Nolo

Boolit Buddy
    I'm into anything written by David McCullough & Joseph Wambaugh.

Boolit Master

Series of books Osa Johnson Stories of the couple who first photographed Africa and South Pacific. Great historical adventure. circa 1930's

American classics by Kenneth Roberts Start with the northwest passage.

Thanks for the suggestions all. I'll have to chase down some of those. I really like books set, and pertaining to adventures in the NW and Ak from the period of about 1890 to about the 1970s. But I like just about anything about adventure, the outdoors, and of course, guns.

Boolit Grand Master

Tall Trees, Tough Men by Robert E. Pike Stories of logging in 1800- early 1900's Northern New England. Great stories and interesting to me as I know the locations well that he tells stories of like Big Diamond, Hell Gate, 1'st Connecticut Lake, Mooslookmeguntic Lake etc.. The language he uses makes me laugh because that is how we speak up there. "She's quite a rig", "Great blushing Geranium"! lol

He has a couple of other ones out of print that I have at my hunting camp. Spiked Boots is one. If you read it and don't think there are really people out there like that I grew up with them. People up near the border really do think like that or used to.
    Last edited by jonp; 06-25-2017 at 05:39 PM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Some recent favorites of mine are the Encyclopedia Of Buffalo Hunters And Skinners, by Leo Remiger,Miles Gilbert and Sharon Cunningham. Also a book on polar exploration, FARTHEST NORTH , by Fridtjof Nansen , first written in 1897. Another good read is Documenting the Weapons Used at theLittle Bighorn, by Wendell Grangaard, a book that gives a history of individual firearms used in the battle or taken from soldiers, as told by the Warriors who took them, a very interesting book if you are into the Indian Wars

GG, that does sound interesting. I like anything that is from the indians point of view, as im Chippewa.

Boolit Buddy
    African Game Trails, by T Roosevelt... Lone Star, by T.R. Fehrenbach... The Works of Kipling, ol' Rudyard hisself.

Boolit Master

Just was given a new copy of Jeff Cooper's "To ride, Shoot straight, and speak the truth" I also was given a while back Jeff's book The Rifle in hard cover. "Joe Meek, The merry mountain man" by Stanley Vestal, American Gun by Chris Kyle. "A Pariot's History of the United States" by Larry Schweikart and Michael Allen.
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryball View Post
    Pioneer Life or 30 Years a Hunter by Phillip Tomme. It's a great, easy to read book about the area where I live
    Here is an online .PDF file for any who might want to read this....
    https://archive.org/details/pioneerlifeorthi00tome

If anyone wants to find online versions ( sometimes downloadable too) just copy & paste the title & author in your search engine, add the search term [.pdf] without the brackets [ ] to it & try that. I find a lot of books that way.

G'Luck!

Boolit Master

a huge selection of free audio books for those of us who like to listen to books while we are in the workshops

https://librivox.org/search?primary_...rm=get_results
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master
    When I was a kid, Russell Annabel used to write for Sports Afield. His stories mostly divided between his adventures of a young kid in Alaska, in training for a life in the outdoors under the tutelage of an old sourdough, and his later adventures as an older man, working as a game guide in Mexico. He also did stories about animals in those regions, and their interactions with humans, including himself.

Safari Press brought out all Annabel's stuff in four or five volumes maybe 15 years ago, and I bought them all with some misgivings, as by then I'd noticed that a lot of stuff one liked in one's youth doesn't quite make it when gone over again in adulthood. But I found I liked his stories just as much as when I was a kid in the barber shop, waiting for a haircut.

Some people say Annabel drew a long bow, stretching reality for the sake of a good story. I say, well, good for him; that's what storytellers do, and he did it very well.

I do read a lot.
    Robert Ruark is a favorite- great hunting stories, and "Something of Value" "The Old Man and The Boy" are just a fantastic reads.
    Jim Harrison (recently passed) wrote a wide variety of great books- the most famous being "Legends of the Fall"
    Vardis Fisher's "Mountain Man" is great- the movie Jeremiah Johnson is taken from it.
    Gene Hill is a favorite for the more thoughtful and gentler outdoor stories.
    William McKloskey's "Highliners" a better book about Alaskan fishing I've never found
    Jared Diamond's "Guns, Germs, and Steel" is a great read about the rise and fall of civilizations

As an edit- I've done business with this company for a long time- order one book or fifty and shipping is $3.50- I've done a series of links as some of the authors mentioned above are on the linked pages. Often, if I see something of interest, I'll try to find a review before I buy it- sometimes there is a really good reason they are on sale.

(Ed McGivern for $4) **as another edit- just finished reading Dayton Hyde's "Pastures of Beyond"...he was a rodeo clown with Slim Pickens, while a little hit and miss- found it very enjoyable.
    https://www.hamiltonbook.com/West

(Roosevelt and Gene Hill)
    https://www.hamiltonbook.com/Fishing...ies-Adventures

(Harrison)
    https://www.hamiltonbook.com/Classics-Literary-Fiction

((And a couple of general links- there are a couple of good search functions on the page)
    https://www.hamiltonbook.com/Civil-War
    https://www.hamiltonbook.com/Fishing-Hunting
    https://www.hamiltonbook.com/Collecting/Firearms-Knives
    Last edited by beezapilot; 07-02-2017 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Links

Boolit Master

Somewhat off the thrust of this thread, but - I am halfway through a book that I can't finish, because when I pick it up to read some more, I only make a page or two before I'm Mad As He[[. At Lyndon Baines Johnson and Robert Strange McNamara. The title is 'Dereliction Of Duty', by McMaster, and relates how LBJ extended the VN War to guarantee his re-election in 1968. The lies they told, the lies the Chief Of Staff (and others) told, &cetera, just make one want to dig the corpses up and cut 'em in chunks, grind them up, mix with fecal matter, and dump in the deepest ocean.
    Rant Over.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Moderator Emeritus

Today, if you really want to read of the legitimate "romance" with the wild, you really have to go back to the older authors. Today's "sporting" articles are written more as sales reps, than as true outdoorsmen or shooter/hunters. There's an occasional good book out, and I have a few, but .... it's surely not as "full" a selection as real lovers of the wild once had.

My grandson read the book "Hathcet," and I forget the author, but he let me read it, and it was pretty good. Not quite Jack London, but it'll do for today's readers. Today's young folks wouldn't think of taking a blanket, a knife, and a gun if one of the guys had one available, and some ammo and a little food, salt and pepper, and going into the woods to fish, hunt and camp for a few nights. I am SO glad for the way I grew up! Good books bring some of that old spirit back again.

Boolit Buddy

Gary Paulsen wrote Hatchet. Good read. London is good of course. His short stories are great. As mentioned Gene Hill is worth the time.

Boolit Master
    Grass Beyond the Mountains, Nothing too good for a Cowboy and Cowboy takes a wife by Rich Hobson. Caruso of Lonesome lake by Ralph Edwards. The Year Long Day by A. E. Maxwell Ivor Ruud.
    R.D.M.

Boolit Bub
    Good books to read a trilogy by Rick Atkinson called the Liberation Trilogy. Titles are An Army at Dawn; The Day of Battle; and The Guns at last Light. This trilogy covers the war in Western Europe from the American perspective. One of the best series I have ever read. Also Gordon Rhea's Overland Campaign books there are four of the currently with the last coming out in September.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast