Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading

Thread: Deer Backstraps Cooked Medium Rare In A Crock Pot? You Bet!!

Vendor Sponsor

Deer Backstraps Cooked Medium Rare In A Crock Pot? You Bet!!

I did something odd today, I had a frozen backstrap that I was going to put in the crock pot with some delicious broth (to make gravy later) and after it had cooked on hi for about an hour I thought to take it out and slice it into 1" thick pieces so it would cook sooner..

So.. I take out the chunk of backstrap, slice off an inch off the end of it and it was PERFECTLY medium rare almost straight up rare in the middle, so I cut off a little and tried it and it had my tongue slappin' the roof of my mouth wanting MORE! It was tender, juicy, VERY flavorful, tasted better than a good high dollar cut of NY strip I can tell you that much! And this venison was in my freezer since January of 2013 to beat all! I did trim off a slight bit of freezer burn but a very little bit maybe a tablespoon.

When I got tonsil cancer in 2013 I had a LOT of deer in the freezer and after radiation I could not swallow it, couldn't eat the venison sausage I had made the year before, but now I have stumbled onto a way of cooking it where I can chew and swallow it easy so it's a whole new ball game now! It went down easier than chicken or pork, which I still cannot eat chicken breast or a lean pork chop it's just too chewy and turns to a ball of dry fiber in my mouth and poses a serious risk of choking so I avoid it.

I thought I would never hunt again for freezer meat but that's all changed now lemme tell you! W00h00 this makes me SO happy!!!!

This means, I can take a frozen backstrap or near frozen, toss it on the Traeger grill on smoke at 180F, and let it smoke while it thaws out, take it off the grill when the internal temp is 110F and sear it in a hot iron skillet until it's 135F - 140F and that's either rare or medium rare, and have venison fit for any gourmet table....
    Last edited by DougGuy; 06-24-2017 at 07:39 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Banned

mmmmmmmmm..........i like them best on the fire.

Boolit Buddy
    I just thawed two out today for the slow cooker tomorrow! Sounds great

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Back when I had it in the freezer I liked butterfly'd chops on the grill. Get everything else done or almost done, grill hot. 3.5 minutes on first side, 3 min on the second. Touch of garlic and serve it RIGHT BLOODY NOW, smoking hot.

Medium rare inside, perfect temp, tender, juicy, cut it with a fork goodness.

I miss those meals. But I just am not willing to do what is necessary to have them.
    I just do not like to kill anymore.

Great food though.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by shaner View Post
    I just thawed two out today for the slow cooker tomorrow! Sounds great

You need to start them frozen to do them like I did these, yours will be fully cooked through if you start them thawed..
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Moderator Emeritus

Chicken leg quarters I thaw just enough to clean that gut pocket under the thigh bone then toss on the traeger to smoke! I have done the same with bison ribeye, toss it on frozen then hot smoke. When I did the ribeyes people raved it was the best steak they every tasted!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    You need to start them frozen to do them like I did these, yours will be fully cooked through if you start them thawed..
    Gotcha. Guess I'll just do it next time

Boolit Master
    I'll hafta have the lockers leave the loins and straps in chunks next time--all ours were steaked out and b'flied. We take the whole gutted/skinned carcass in a bag directly to the lockers the day of the kill where they do an excellent job of cut/wrap and blend in beef or pork fat however you want your burger and no BS about whose meat you get back--you get back the meat you brung in not whatever they feel like givin' you like some places do. They also make some of the best pepperoni around--too bad I can't eat any of it too much salt...Ah well I guess I've had my share and then some...