Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: S&W 44special

S&W 44special

I just dealt me up a 24-3 S&W 44sp. I have got several 44sps and have been looking
    for a WC mold. I don't want to magnumtize this 24, looking for a good bullet and load
    for target shooting until I find the Lyman Ideal or RCBS mold that I want. Plain base
    without gas check. Who has a good one using a mold that can easily be found or got
    new?Attachment 198394

Boolit Master
    I was in a group buy years ago and bought brass mold from Mountain molds for a 44 wadcutter weight was about 240 grains I think, been awhile since I weighed some and don't have any cast up at the moment.

Accurate also has several 44 wadcutter molds available and his delivery times a freaking awesome!

any weight between 180 and 240 will work well for you provided you can size to fit the throats in the cylinder!

HM

Boolit Master

Wow, pretty pistol.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

I have 3 of the 80's issue stainless steel 624's and love both the guns and the cartridge. If you could find either the old Lyman / Ideal 429348 (180 grain) or 429352 (245 grain) they cast a nearly cylindrical, flat topped, target wadcutter in .44 calibre. I never got either of those moulds, but a friend had the 180 grain version and he gave me a few to test. They shot absolutely awesome and they left big, beautiful, cleanly cut .44 calibre holes in the targets.

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Grand Master

Quick, easy and shoots very well.

Lee TL430-240-SWC over 5 gr Bullseye in SPL cases with a standard LP primer. I size and lube with BAC in a Lyman 450 with a .430 H&I. TL with LLA works fine too. If as cast is uniform and fits the throats just TLing is an easy option. You may find, as I have, this load will shoot as accurately and as pleasantly as any.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    Lyman 429421 should be easy to find; I like it over the pretty standard 5.0 Bullseye in my 624. Mine casts right at .432 using 4:1 WW:Lino

Titan has the 6-cav mold Larry mentioned above for #36.99 I may hafta get one--

https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-p...al-44-mag-4440
    Last edited by CHeatermk3; 06-24-2017 at 11:28 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Beautiful classic revolver!
    Pistolero49

NRA Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer * GSSF Member
    Good Sam Club Life Member
    Friends of the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad, Inc.

Boolit Master
    Watch out as those S&W 44 specials can be addictive. Started out with a 6.5" bbld 624, then a 3" bbld 24-3 and a 4" bbld 24-3. Or if the bug bites for a smaller 44 special the 296 or 396 if I remember right. None of these are being made anymore and you got a good one. The WW 200 grain silvertip in the 6.5" 624 is almost like shooting mild 38's in a model 10. Fun to say the least. Frank

What Mr Gibson said except I used 6grs Unique. Pleasant and accurate.

I have a 4" M24 and shot it for the CCW class. (Mrs. Thumbcocker and I were the only revolver shooters in the class) Load was Accurate 190 button nose wadcutter over 5.0 of red dot. That load shoots well in most .44 specials and the rounds look really cool loaded. (Why not shoot cool looking rounds). Those 1980's 24's are fine revolvers and are a treat to shoot.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by samari46 View Post
    Watch out as those S&W 44 specials can be addictive. Started out with a 6.5" bbld 624, then a 3" bbld 24-3 and a 4" bbld 24-3. Or if the bug bites for a smaller 44 special the 296 or 396 if I remember right. None of these are being made anymore and you got a good one. The WW 200 grain silvertip in the 6.5" 624 is almost like shooting mild 38's in a model 10. Fun to say the least. Frank
    Addictive? To late you tell me!Attachment 198449Attachment 198450

This one is on it's Last Call for discount pre-order.

NOE Double Ended Wadcutters in .315/.360/.412/.432/.452/.460
    http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index.php?topic=2071.0

Styled like this:

Be the first kid on your block with one.. lol

Boolit Master
    Drm50, if you ever find a 4" 24-3 or 624 you'll have the perfect 44 special. Easy on recoil and very accurate. Frank

Quote Originally Posted by samari46 View Post
    Drm50, if you ever find a 4" 24-3 or 624 you'll have the perfect 44 special. Easy on recoil and very accurate. Frank
    I just got rid off a 4" 24 and have a 4" 29-2 NIB that I just put up for sale. The 4" may be a little
    easier to carry, but 6" is easier to shoot with bullseye accuracy. Besides I live in the sticks and we
    have a lot more air between targets than city dudes. The 24 balances better than 29 because of
    the tapered barrel weighs less. In Ohio we have 5" minimum to be legal deer pistol.

Boolit Grand Master
    I had this revolver's brother for about 5 years. It doted on Skeeter's Load--Lyman #429421 @ .431" and 7.5 grains of Unique, lit by CCI 300 primers. This gave about 950 FPS, which is a mite stalwart for paper-punching but was it ever ACCURATE. Many a jackrabbit and a couple coyotes met untimely ends courtesy of this combination.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

I shoot the skeeter load for longer distances in my Colt SAAs. For close range, that same 429421 bullet also works as a very accurate target puncher with 4.8 grains 700X. I can shoot the later all day long in the plow handle. It would even be more comfortable in the smith.

Boolit Grand Master
    Yessir, "The Skeeter" is an all-day loading, for certain. I do these in my 44 Magnums with 8.5 grains of Unique or 9.5 grains of Herco these days, put up in Magnum brass and lit off by CCI 300 primers.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    Accurate has a nice 215gr 44 WC thats works real well over 5gr of HP38, Tite Group, Bullseye, and W231.

I have many molds, most all Lyman that have been gathered up for last 50+ years. I don't like Lee
    molds because they don't cast sharp square corners like Lyman, RCBS, ect. Also not as durable as
    iron/ steel molds. The only plus I can see on them is price. The newer brands of molds I have no
    experience with, though I tend to stay away from Alumilum. I may have to go that way because
    in 44 & 45 cal. most of WCs molds have been discontinued.