Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: scrap pricing

Boolit Man

scrap pricing

I was wandering around the scrap metal yard today. I happened on to two pallets of what looked to be 4x8x2 lead bars. As I hardly ever see any lead at this yard I had to ask the price.
    The guy told me they wanted $1.89 a pound. Then started to ramble on about how lead is crazy.
    He did say that it was pure lead.
    None of it came home with me.
    I felt it was way to high.
    Thanks for looking.
    Mel W.

Boolit Mold
    Ive seen it over 4 bucks a pound at the metal yard for "non ballistic lead"

They think they have the upper hand right now..was paying .75 per pound raw from one scrap yard. Never know exactly what you are getting, found it cheaper and easier to buy it here. already fluxed, and ready to make bullets for way less than that.

From a scrap yards, no more than $1/lb. I can get lead bricks for $1.32/lb + tax from metal supply company

Boolit Buddy
    80 cents a lb at my local yard when I stopped by to check prices on copper jackets. They said they had a couple of bags of shot I may look at when I bring in some copper, and wait 3 days to get paid....

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    They are paying .20 cents a pound if you are taking it in to sell it to them here. My scrapper checked with local yard when I acquired several hundred pounds of lead sheeting last week.

Rotometals for $1.65 per # delivered & you know what it is.
    https://www.rotometals.com/whole-lea...ight-included/
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Bub
    In tulsa its .60cents a pound for mixed wheel weights if your a reg customer they will sale to you for .40 out of a 50#bucket i got 15# of lead after that i just get superhard to blend with my horde of pure lead

Normally those 2x4x8 bricks are 99.99% pure lead shielding bricks, at 26 lbs each.

Boolit Man
    I think this yard is kind of prejudiced about lead. When I have asked if they have any I get the are you nuts look. When I see some it is always way over priced.
    I wonder if they get pressure from the Ca. Government to not sell lead to the public.
    Mel W.

Boolit Grand Master
    If there are enough fellow casters in your area, it makes sense to purchase a ton and get a decent price. Rotometals was not the best place to buy in that quantity (at least that was the case about 5 years ago when I bought) as they seemed more geared to small orders. Foundries offered the best pricing and the material is certified so you know what you get.
    Don Verna

Moderator Emeritus

If I were you, I'd offer $1 per lb.
    walk away if they decline.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Bingo

Had a guy offer me clean ingot form lead over the weekend from wheel weights for .27 cents a pound.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not"
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Bingo #2

I would go lower than $1.00 like 90 cents, and if they don't bite allow how it might be worth $1 since there won't be shipping. Otherwise plenty of vendors and members in swapping and selling forum here sell it for $1 a pound. Ready made ingots delivered to your door by an annoyed post office employee And much of that will be better alloy for bullets than pure lead.

Spot lead price is in the little graph at the top of each page. Right now $1.03 per pound. You having cash in hand will allow you to tell him that at 90 cents a pound I'll buy X number of those, Most folks will take the hundred bucks in front of them over shipping it off for a little bit more per pound. But then if it is California where lead is harder to buy than pot..... Michigan experiences may not apply. Seller may feel he has the market cornered.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    A couple years back I had a scrap yard hit me up for like $1.50 per pound and I told him that I was thinking more like $0.85 for all of it. He sent me to his bigger yard where I got a 2,400 pound gaylord. Low and behold there was 60 pounds of high antimony babbit, bunch of bars of pure tin and 200 pounds of lino-type in it. All in all I bet there was less than 50 pounds of unusable leadish kinda stuff.
    P.S. Even though it was hot , I had a blast finding all the treasures in that 4X4X4 box.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bo1 View Post
    Had a guy offer me clean ingot form lead over the weekend from wheel weights for .27 cents a pound.
    I would have bought an impressive amount at that price. Even if I had to borrow from the beer budget to do so.

Boolit Man
    My local recycle yard just quoted me .58/lb for a 1200 lb sailboat keel. I'm trying to decide if I want to turn it into ingots and sell on S&S, or take it to the yard. Tough decision- It's a lot of work and it's hot in Texas right now. I sold most of the last keel on S&S. But the local yard was only paying .45/lb back then. The market price of lead is up a bit but the price on S&S stays around $1/lb.
    Last edited by F_L; 06-29-2017 at 09:43 PM.

yeah, but the more lead you keep in the casting community the better!
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Rebel View Post
    yeah, but the more lead you keep in the casting community the better!
    My inclination is to replenish my stock and sell the rest of it here. I'd rather see the lead go to boolit casters. I owe a lot to this forum. This forum got me started a few years ago on how to turn a 3000lb keel into ingots. It also got me into casting for myself. I am grateful for that.

This time of year it's hard to suit up in jeans, boots, long sleeves, then sit next to a 300lbs pot of molten lead. I'll process some of it and see how it goes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast