Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: Surplus Powder (BR-5) question.

Boolit Master

Surplus Powder (BR-5) question.

This section seems the best place to post this inquiry. If there's a better one, mods should feel free to move it at their discretion. So:

I notice that GIBrass.com has 5# canisters of new powder, designated "BR-5", which appears to load with data for Unique. I haven't tried any, but I'm tempted. Has anyone on here tried it/heard about it?

Thanks in Advance.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master

NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    I haven't tried it. Back in the day, surplus powders used to be cheap, a fraction of buying canister powder. Sadly, that's not the case anymore. By the time you add the $30 haz mat fee on top of shipping, that $100 / 6 lbs quickly becomes $150. That's $25 / lb. For that price you can buy canister powder and know exactly what you're getting.
    I'm not saying it's bad, I don't know, it may be great......it's just that you have to buy so much to make it worth it.
    For about $180 you can get an 8lb of unique, delivered, from grafs.com
    Last edited by lylejb; 11-14-2017 at 01:41 AM.
    NRA life member

LB

Boolit Man
    For the past year BR5 has been one of my favorites for 9mm.I think it burns a bit cleaner than Unique.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lylejb View Post
    I haven't tried it. Back in the day, surplus powders used to be cheap, a fraction of buying canister powder. Sadly, that's not the case anymore. By the time you add the $30 haz mat fee on top of shipping, that $100 / 6 lbs quickly becomes $150. That's $25 / lb. For that price you can buy canister powder and know exactly what you're getting.
    I'm not saying it's bad, I don't know, it may be great......it's just that you have to buy so much to make it worth it.
    For about $180 you can get an 8lb of unique, delivered, from grafs.com
    Sadly, I agree, when there were no other options I can see the value, but at the current price and current retail powder availability I do not see the reason of buying this at that price. I think an 8# of Tightgroup is 118.00 from Powder Valley.

Boolit Master

might go get some of that. I live about 50 miles from him

Jeff will also deliver to those who shoot high power or will meet him at Atterbury before a match.

Boolit Master
    My 1911 loves it, 45ACP
    Frank G.