RotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: Wrist Brace for Handguns

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.

Wrist Brace for Handguns

I hope this is the right place for this. One of the things I do is help people with physical limitations get back in the field and hunt, or shoot. Mostly, this involves tayloring ammo so the recoil won't be an issue. It's a fine line finding an acceptable level of recoil, and having enough energy for a humane harvest. Lately, I've been trying to figure out how to build a brace that would attach to a handgun, and more evenly distribute the shock when firing through the entire arm. It would also help support the weight of the weapon. This person has both rheumatoid arthritis, and muscular degeneration. This is going to be a task. Oh, the next thing, I'm going to work on, is a gyroscopic stabilizer, that will attach to a rifle, shotgun, or handgun. This is for people with tremors, or just plain old shakey hands, that could be caused by a variety of issues. The idea, is to get the sights on target, and start the motor, so it stsy on target. This may be good for military use, as well. Any ideas, on how to build and attach the brace, while keeping it light, will be appreciated.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Boolit Master

you come up with something good, i want to see it. im in the same boat, rheumatoid arthritis in both wrists has eaten 100% of the cartilidge. i wear simple wrist wraps when shooting handguns, but have had to limit it all to pretty much 9mm's and smaller and using compensators, etc. it aint no fun ill tell you that. the biggest issue with the wrists is getting a brace that supports the wrist without encumbering the palm, and or fingers. its a challenge, ive been working on it for a few years now and have yet to find the answer.

Boolit Master

Haven't tried it and would only work on some guns, but attaching like an extended magwell on a 1911 (under the grips) and a bar (maybe flexible fiberglass like a bow limb of one of those "body bow" gizmos) running from the bottom of the grip down the bottom of the forearm would provide wrist support without interfering with grip. Be easy to Velcro a strap about mid forearm.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jcren View Post
    Haven't tried it and would only work on some guns, but attaching like an extended magwell on a 1911 (under the grips) and a bar (maybe flexible fiberglass like a bow limb of one of those "body bow" gizmos) running from the bottom of the grip down the bottom of the forearm would provide wrist support without interfering with grip. Be easy to Velcro a strap about mid forearm.
    That was what I was thinking. If an inflatable cuff was fitted inside a sheath attached to the limb, I think it would also absorb shock. It would be similar to a torque eliminator, but be made of fiberglass, or a graphite rod.

Lefty O, A small inflatable cuff on the wrist, may spread the bones AND absorb shock, if it was done right. I'd have to test it on myself first though.

Last edited by jimkim; 06-24-2017 at 04:28 PM.

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

For the gyroscopic stabilizer---- Camera lenses already have something very like that you may want to look at. It really helps with those long lenses.

Boolit Master
    I made a wrist brace on a Jennings J 22 a few years back as a joke when I installed a 10" piece of barrel liner on it and made a fake suppressor out of PVC pipe painted black.
    I couldn't see the sights with the fake supressor , so I installed a Red dot on top of the Fake suppressor.
    When I was at a local range , the line safety officer came by and said , Nice Fake Suppressor.
    And look. He even put a Little Gun on it.
    But the brace worked like a charm.
    It was held on with a plate that mounted under the left grip.
    I hade made one like it years ago for a 1911.
    It stabilizes the gun, transfers the recoil to your forearm. And actually makes a more stable set up for pulling the trigger since the wrist action is eliminated.
    This would work great with someone with limited wrist movement or disabilities.
    I will see if I can find that brace for the Jennings and send you a picture.
    The Jennings didn't need it for recoil , but I bet the design would really help on other guns or people with limited hand functions.

Brainstorming. For a right handed person. I'd say you could make a brace that would attach to the gun in place of the left grip panel, and have either a rigid, or semi rigid support going back to a forearm cuff that would attach with velcro. that way you would have a normal grip on the gun, but have some support and recoil reduction, with no permanent modification to the gun. ~Bazoo

Boolit Master
    I found the Brace.
    Like I am going to throw something away.
    I still have the 10" barrel and fake suppressor around her somewhere too.
    The brace is simply a single arm version of a Wrist Rocket Sling shot frame.
    The one for my 1911 had both legs attached to the grip area of the gun in a similar fashion.

Like I said the barrel change and this wrist brace were made as a Joke when another guy on one of the forums said you cant make a Jennings accurate enough to even hit a target at 25 yards no matter what you did to it.
    The whole thing barrel , wrist brace, including the fake supressor took less than two hours to make.
    And I was posting pictures as I did the different changes.
    But to my suprise, It worked great.
    With the Red Dot, you could keep all the rounds in the magazine on a target at 50 yards.
    This would also help someone that has any kind of imparement, and the cost was next to nothing.
    The brace is actually made out of an Aluminum Winder Rod out of an old Mini Blind that I was throwing out.
    Last edited by LAGS; 06-24-2017 at 10:21 PM.

That is interesting. I wonder if that will help with the flinch I have once in a while when shooting my handguns? I do all my flinching from the wrist forward. My arm stays still or at least reasonably so.
    I can even flinch with my forearms supported on sandbags.

Boolit Master
    Just dusting off the cobwebs in my brain here.
    There is some form of regulation with the BATF about attaching a stock to a handgun. I'd look into that before I actually did it. And, you may be able to get some form of legal permission to assist handicapped folks too.

Boolit Master
    The BATF regulates the use of Shoulder stocks on Handguns except Black powder firearms.
    But yes, it would be a good idea that you get a clarification from the BATF to be sure they can not deem what you put on is considered or can be used as a Shoulder stock.
    A Handgun is clasified as a weapon that is designed to he fired from the hand and not supported by the body.
    My Brace is so short, that if you choose to put it against your Shoulder, you would end up with a face full of slide every time it was fired.
    That was a consideration in the design.
    I dont want Big Brother Knocking at my door.

This simple Brace can help with Flinching.
    In fact, I showed my girlfriend it tonight, and told her that I was going to put it on this gun to help train her to shoot Handguns.
    She is a good shot with a rifle and owns several.
    But she cant hit Squat with a pistol.
    Last edited by LAGS; 06-24-2017 at 11:07 PM.

Boolit Master
    Thanks guys. I actually had something that looks like that brace in mind. I found gyroscopic stabilizers for sport cameras. They aren't big, and they cost a bit under $80.00.

Boolit Master
    As noted,, just make sure the BATF regs are not broken.

Now I want to offer something else,, that is a big help to handgunners in stabilizing their hands while shooting. Any & all handgunners.

Take a piece of paracord, tie a 2"-3" permanent loop in one end. Put that loop over one thumb, (I use my left thumb.) Take the loose end,, bring it up & around the neck,,, heading towards the other hand. Take the loose end & wrap it around the other thumb. Take your handgun, get a 2 handed grip, & pull the loose end tight to where you are putting "pressure" on the string as it passes around the neck. Take the loose end & tie an overhand loop of about 2"-3". Cut off the excess, but leave 4"-6" of string just in case you need to adjust the length.
    Now, with a loop slipped over each thumb, string around the neck, you can get a 2 handed grip, & "push" against the string "brace" that uses neck as a stabilizer. If you find the string is too long,, you can untie one loop & shorten it,,, or if it's too short & doesn't allow a solid arm position,,, you can use the excess to lengthen the string.
    Experiment with the length until you find a comfortable length that allows you to push against the string without strain, yet offers stability. You can slip the string over the neck, leave the loops dangling,, but when you are hunting, or target shooting,,, it's easy to slip the loops over each thumb when needed.

Just another idea.

Boolit Master
    Thanks Contender1.
    I may just have to give that one a try when teaching my girlfrient how to shoot my handguns.
    I dont want ther to learn just resting on sandbags.

Banned
    now if someone would come up with a wrist brace for ruger sbh, i'd buy it!!!

Boolit Master
    They didnt make the brace for the Jennings, and if it works for my girlfriend, then I will make one for my Ruger Mk1 or one of my Browning Hi Powers.
    I told her, As long as she is able to hit a Man Size Target at 300 yards Standing, then I am happy.
    It isnt like I expect her to hit a milk jug at that distance every time.