Reloading EverythingWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee Precision
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: .338 Federal, Comments, your favorite loads?

Boolit Buddy

.338 Federal, Comments, your favorite loads?

I am considering getting a Savage M16 in .338 Federal. Anybody out there have any experiences or comments, or suggestions on this caliber?
    NRA Lifetime member since 1956, NRA Endowment Member. Reloading since 1954. CBA Member Navy Vietnam Veteran USS Intrepid CVA 11

Boolit Master

A friend of mine had one built on a Remington model 7 for elk hunting and got a nice 6x5 elk. He said it was easy to carry and shoot.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Buddy

Since it came out it has been one of my favorite cartridges. For relatively short range shots on large game it's a wonder. I carried one while guiding in Colorado for elk. Loved it

Vendor Sponsor

In what is a sea of good and overlapping cartridges, the 338-08, AKA 338 Fed is a very smart and practical. I had a reamer made for one (a wildcat at the time) 30 years ago and chambered it in a Rem 700 short action, Douglass 12 twist.
    I live and hunt in the Colorado high country. It is an outstanding elk and mule deer rifle.
    Chill Wills

It's a cartridge that has always appealed to me, but I never did buy one in the end. Having a custom built .358 Winchester that is similar in performance probably did help in that department. (Mind you, having said that it didn't stop me from buying a friend's large action Martini that had been re-bored and re-chambered into .338 / .303 British!) A friend of mine bought a Tika T3 in .338 Federal and he loved it and hunted with it fairly extensively with great results. I suspect if one came along at the right price I'd most likely buy it ...
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Al View Post
    It's a cartridge that has always appealed to me, but I never did buy one in the end. Having a custom built .358 Winchester that is similar in performance probably did help in that department. ...
    Yes, already having a 358 Winchester, the two are so very close. It could be the 358 Win. is easier with cast, but now that is splitting hairs.

My 338 used 235gr LBT cast soft nose (two part) and could be delivered to an elk at full power. It was not like I couldn't get jacketed bullets, but just wanted to see what I could do with my cast bullets.
    I've never, ever shot at an elk much past 200ys though I think this rifle and ammo could be shot past 250y to no more than 300y. I put the game and a sporting quick kill ahead of stretching a long shot. Just work in closer. That is what it is all about.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Buddy
    Is it difficult to make 338 Federal brass from 308 Winchester brass? Could it be as simple as resizing in 338 Fed full length dies?
    I like Lee dies. I will likely get a 4 die set: Full length resize; Collimator neck size; Seating die; and Lee Factory Crimp.
    What neck belling or expanding die? I have a Lyman M die for 8x57. Can i get internal parts to convert this to different calibers or do I need a separate M die for each caliber?
    NRA Lifetime member since 1956, NRA Endowment Member. Reloading since 1954. CBA Member Navy Vietnam Veteran USS Intrepid CVA 11

Boolit Buddy
    Upon further review, it appears that Lee does not make .338 Federal dies. Redding makes a 3 die set, FL, Neck size and seating, but they are co$tly. I would still need a factory crimp which Lee makes in 338 (for Winchester and Lapua) and a neck expander which I suppose only Lyman makes.

Boolit Master
    For my .338-06 I use the RCBS two die set and the Lyman M die for jacketed, cast, and paper patch to good effect. RCBS makes a two die set for the .338 Federal as well and I would recommend that set up.
    USMC 6638

Boolit Master
    I use RCBS 338 federal dies and neck up LC LR brass.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by rockydoc View Post
    Is it difficult to make 338 Federal brass from 308 Winchester brass? Could it be as simple as resizing in 338 Fed full length dies?
    I like Lee dies. I will likely get a 4 die set: Full length resize; Collimator neck size; Seating die; and Lee Factory Crimp.
    What neck belling or expanding die? I have a Lyman M die for 8x57. Can i get internal parts to convert this to different calibers or do I need a separate M die for each caliber?

Yes - and very affordable too. Go to Buffalo Arms Co websight or call them. They provide the insides, threaded two diameter (neck expander/flair ) expander plug replacements for under $20 or there abouts. This goes right into the regular and "M" die body.
    They come in any standard or custom size you want.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Buddy
    Lee does make a 338 fed crimp die, no need to use a 338 w or 338 L

Boolit Buddy
    For loads other than cast look at 24 hour campsite. There is a very long thread with lots of good info.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    [/COLOR]

Yes - and very affordable too. Go to Buffalo Arms Co websight or call them. They provide the insides, threaded two diameter (neck expander/flair ) expander plug replacements for under $20 or there abouts. This goes right into the regular and "M" die body.
    They come in any standard or custom size you want.
    I just discovered that I already have a Lee Universal Expander which will work with many different calibers. No need for additional parts.

Was going to use a slightly longer neck because of my preferences when loading cast.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	.420 neck.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	142.4 KB 
ID:	199085

Or a maximized neck length.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	338 Fed 1.6BD Neck.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	199086
    Did this with a 7-08 in the early eighties and it worked very well.

But with too many projects that one went by the wayside.