Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: Lead

Lead

Yesterday I got a deal for some lead. When I got home I weighed it. 315 pounds of wheel weights. It came in as 0.13 cents per pound. I didn't need it but couldn't pass it up. He has a lot to get rid of so I may go back and buy more today.
    I have come to believe honey bees are more important to this world than I am.

Boolit Master

Ummm yeah I would buy it all at that price.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    One day, you'll need it. And it don't go bad. Pile that stuff up!
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Plate plinker View Post
    Ummm yeah I would buy it all at that price.
    ^^^ I agree ^^^

Even if ya only had 50% of them lead & not zinc & steel that is a pretty good deal compared to the prices they ask around here.
    So far the ave. price I have found locally is around 30-35 cents/pound for mixed & I usually only get 50 - 60% lead after sorting. I can buy pure lead at a semi local place for 75-78 cents/pound & no sorting, So I have been stocking up on that.

I wish I had a deal like you found. I would be back there today to get as much as I could carry & afford, once I checked to see the average amount of lead you are getting, if it is mixed. Even at 50% you would still be getting better than around here.

G'Luck!

Went back this morning to return the buckets. They only had half a bucket left. But he said he would hold it for me only. He is a member of the church I go to and I gave him a jar of honey to sweeten the deal. Couldn't hurt.
    I have come to believe honey bees are more important to this world than I am.

Shaper get all the ww you can. in my county I can not get any (thanks to the Ins. co.) they got it to where the scrap yards can not sale to the plubic anymore. it used to be nothing for me to go to a scrap yard and get 500 to a 1000 lbs of ww. now I am lucky if I find one by the side of the road. and that goes for the tire shops as well. D Crockett

Boolit Grand Master

It's a habit that becomes a lifestyle. I really get "the look" when I stop and pick up WWs at an intersection. I guess at 75 I'm supposed to be more mature.
    I remember when WWs were thrown in the garbage at every tire service center. They would give you all you could haul off. And they call this progress.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

If you don't end up needing it you can sell it to someone that struggles to find any. Better to have ingots you don't need then to need ingot you can't get. As long as the weight don't break the floor I say go for it!
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    Lead is a thing of the past. Stock up on all you can get now. It doesn't go bad. It can be traded for what you want . Only problem is if u have to move a lot of it. My buddy just moved.... well over 1000lbs of ingots

Boolit Master

buy it all

Boolit Master

Right now I'm trying to get over yesterday's smelting of 26 plastic gallon jugs of clip-on wheel weights. Now have 16 5-gallon buckets (some are extra tall versions - contain more than 5 gallons) of ingots plus a stash of linotype and pure tin. Back breaking work but the temperature was not at all bad yesterday here in southern Ky. Guess I'll keep it up until I can't do it any longer. At 77 it does not get any easier. Plus picked up a 5-gallon bucket that was half full from my favorite tire shop yesterday. Haven't sorted those wheel weights yet. Haven't paid a cent for any of the lead except for my time, the gasoline expense of going to pick up the wheel weights and the propane to melt the wheel weights. Guess I should include the electricity required to cast the boolits too. Big Boomer
    Last edited by Big Boomer; 06-27-2017 at 03:04 AM. Reason: correction

Boolit Grand Master

Nothing more satisfying than turning trash into treasure. When cast and successfully fired down range it puts a smile on your face that is recognized by everyone there.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm with the others, get it while you can. I would rather have lead left over at the end of my watch than to run out while I am still able to cast and shoot.