Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: Wish me luck...

Boolit Buddy

Wish me luck...

I put in for my State's 'lottery' for a Bear tag... based on an earlier trail cam pic. I put out my mineral lick with a 'goat & sheep' mineral block and within two weeks I checked the camera...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_6602.jpg   IMG_6605.jpg   IMG_6606.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    The photo on the right was a Sow with three cubs, the center and left photo are definitely different beasts (and no cubs in any of the associated frames)

Good Luck! If you get to go, What are you going to use? I killed a "Texas Black Bear" (#300 feral hog sow) Wed morning behind my house with my 25-06.
    Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master

Very nice bear pictures. I hope you get drawn. The only black bear I shot was an early spring bear, so excess fat was gone and the meat was delicious. Keep us informed. I too would like to know your firearm of choice.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Banned

We don't have them here. It would be cool to go do this someday. An old friend of mine just gt back from a trip to Canada and killed a good one. Might be worth the money to do that someday.

Boolit Master
    What part of the state? Northome area has alot of bears. They sure trash an oat field in a hurry! Todd

Vendor Sponsor

I wish you luck
    A successful bear hunt is something I look forward to as well
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Buddy
    I'm thinking I'll use my Marlin 1895 in .45-70. I have a number of molds that'll drop in the 300-350g range; gonna go with whichever FP shoots best...

Boolit Grand Master
    Best of luck. I've dropped them - right where they were standing - with .308's , 458 Win Mag and .45-70's. The .45-70 is an excellent choice when used with a nice flat meplat boolit. I used an old group buy, 460-420 from the Lee mold. Doesn't have to go real fast to produce dramatic results. I load to the top end of the trap door load with 3031. Although, with the .45-70, there are so many very successful loads, you'll have a nice range to pick from.

Boolit Master
    Good luck!!! Yesterday morning while I was cooking breakfast in the kitchen, a very large (300#+) boar black bear strolled up our driveway toward the house. I went outside on the porchand told him from 20 yards that if he tries that again after August 1, he will become roasts and sausage. He sauntered back down the driveway totally unconcerned. He did make me rethink my 35 deer load for one that gets more penetration. I already have my bear tag.

Vendor Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by quilbilly View Post
    Good luck!!! Yesterday morning while I was cooking breakfast in the kitchen, a very large (300#+) boar black bear strolled up our driveway toward the house. I went outside on the porchand told him from 20 yards that if he tries that again after August 1, he will become roasts and sausage. He sauntered back down the driveway totally unconcerned. He did make me rethink my 35 deer load for one that gets more penetration. I already have my bear tag.
    Is that a 35 Rem you are referring to? I have a rcbs 35 250 gr with a small meplat that when cast soft performed perfectly on a Texas hog out of my Marlin.

[IMG][/IMG]

I have some cast up if you want to try some.

Boolit Buddy
    A 420 grain Lyman 457193 FN out of 50/50 COWW and lead over 38 grains of 3031 is just about a perfect load for black bear out of your Marlin. 300 to 350 grains is just a touch too light, IMO. BTDT.

Vendor Sponsor
    I would bet that there is no amount of orneryness or love of life in a black bear that a 300 - 350 gr boolit from a 1895 Marlin won't cure.

Boolit Master
    Just tinkering with my 357 Max at the moment using the Lee 204 but in a pinch I could use my 444. That Lee 204 gets the most penetration of all the boolits I have terminal ballistics tested in the last few years even though the MV is about 1600. Given my business schedule in August, that bear would have to commit suicide in my front yard. We have two bears frequenting our neighborhood at the moment. The other is a lot smaller (under 200). Hopefully I won't be on the road when either commits suicide. Any shot around here will be under 40 yards, up close, and personal.

I use a Ranchdog 350 gr. cast in my Marlin 1895 LTD-V that will group 3 shots into 1 inch at 100 yards on a consistant basis. I use 43 gr. of IMR-4198 for a velocity of 1850 FPS. I have taken several buffalo with that load and dropped then on the spot. It is not too light for bear as the first buffalo was a beast of around 1800-1900 pounds. On a 275 pound pig, I shot him from 80 yards out as he faced me. The 350 gr. entered just left of the center chest and we recovered it just in front of the rear ham. A distance of about 34 inches. I consider the 350 gr. Ranchdog the perfect cast lead bullet for a 45/70. Flatter shooting then a 405-500 gr. and does not rattle your teeth at the upper high end velocity and it will flat penetrate very deeply. Nice big meplat that will do a lot of damage.