RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Crosman 1377 (early birthday present)

Boolit Master
    Crosman Custom Shop is having a 20% off with free shipping special on July 4th.

Don't do it, don't go to the dark side. Stay away from PCP.

Straight muscle powered airguns have several advantages.
    They will always work. You do not need to buy an expensive air compressor capable of 2,000, 3,000 or more PSI. You do not need to buy bottles or tanks. You are not hooked into the system. Your not a cash cow for someone else to feed your addiction.

Pellets are not expensive, yet. Buy now, stack them wide, deep, and high.

If you shop around you can find good options at around 1 to 1.2 cents per shot.
    That is cheaper than the glory days of .22lr.

But once you go to the dark side you will become spoiled.

Was easier to resist back when the PCP's were all 500$ plus. I noticed that airgunweb posted a youtube vid this morning of 4 under 300$ entry level PCP's.

Be afraid, be very afraid.

Lol...the dark side huh? Yeah, i'm interested in all the exciting things going on in the air gun world. However, for now, i'm happy with my little pneumatic pumpers.
    The power level on them can be boosted right up there with break bbls. with the right mods., but i kind of like them right where they're at.

The accuracy level of my 392 and the 1377 is amazing to me. I think it's going to be hard to beat them in that regard. Just wish i'd had them much sooner in life.

Ordered a shoulder stock for the 1377. Should be here on the 3rd, which is perfect for my "Birthday present to myself". Probably won't leave it on all the time, but just want to try it.

If i like it, i'll probably order another 1377 with a steel breech, and put the stock and a scope on it, then start mods. for more power.

Quote Originally Posted by 35 shooter View Post
    Lol...the dark side huh? Yeah, i'm interested in all the exciting things going on in the air gun world. However, for now, i'm happy with my little pneumatic pumpers.
    The power level on them can be boosted right up there with break bbls. with the right mods., but i kind of like them right where they're at.

The accuracy level of my 392 and the 1377 is amazing to me. I think it's going to be hard to beat them in that regard. Just wish i'd had them much sooner in life.
    Well it won't be long and you will be saying the say thing with a PCP in your hands .lol.Marvin

Quote Originally Posted by melloairman View Post
    Well it won't be long and you will be saying the say thing with a PCP in your hands .lol.Marvin
    Yeah, i've got to get back to shooting my powder guns before i wind up with a closet full of these airguns. These things are addicting!!

Got out after the rain this afternoon, and had a ball just making tin cans jump around with both the1377 and the 392.

They make shooting affordable if you are a high volume shooter . You know a pcp air pistol like my 1701P that gets 80 shoots per fill would only require a hand pump and a few strokes to refill . Marvin

Ordered a shoulder stock for the 1377 and recieved it today. Had to wait till after work to try it out.
    It went on quick and easy and seemed rock solid with no play in the grip section at all.

I have to say i love this little pumper as a handgun, but like it equally as well as a carbine with the shoulder stock attached.
    With my eye so close to the rear sight, it was a bit blurry. I'm sure if i had turned the sight over and used the other end with the peep, it would have solved that problem.
    What really surprised me was i shot about 5" lower without adusting the sights at all, so it changed how i see the sights for sure, or maybe the angle of the sights.

I'm determined to use the regular rear sight with this one, and use it as a handgun, as it's just stupid accurate the way it is.

Sooooooo, i'm sure some of you will understand that, now that i've tried the shoulder stock and like it, i now have to get another 1377 or 1322
    and use my shoulder stock to turn it into a carbine!
    Last edited by 35 shooter; 07-06-2017 at 10:56 PM.

Peep sight works well for me for close range work.

I highly recommend the 1322 and the shoulder stock for a light weight easy to carry/pump varmint gun around the house.

.177 is fine for birds but for anything that wears fur IMO you are better off with a .22. For one pellet weighs about double. Even if you lose 100 fps compared to the .17 you still gain a lot of energy. Plus I think the .22 holds onto its energy downrange better.

Me I am funny, I had thousands of rounds and thousands of dead critters with Ol Blue in .20, so I am partial to it when it comes to killing. Carry's the same weight as the .22 but in a slightly faster platform. But in reality the differences are so small you can not really see them. Comes down to confidence.

When I put a 60$ truglo red dot on my 1322 when I first got it all of a sudden I had a target with 5 shots, one ragged hole 2/3rds the size of a dime. This was with the gun sitting in my palm and my hand was resting on the back of a padded computer chair.

No special attention was taken, I just loaded and fired 5. 3 pumps for power, at 20 feet you don't need much.

Iron sights are fine if your eyes can still do what they need to do at the range you are shooting. Mine no longer do so I have resorted to "cheating" with Red Dot sights and scopes. You do what you have to do to keep shooting.

I'm 65 this october, and with any luck will still be shooting in my 70's.
    Lord when I can no longer shoot please take me home.
    Thank you

GhostHawk,

I turned 64 on the 3rd of this month, and i understand about iron sights and age.
    I couldn't see the issue sights on my 392 very well at all, but a peep was much better.
    For some reason i can still see the irons on a handgun "fairly" well, but a scope or red dot would be much better for me.

Your not cheating at all...we do what we have to as we age. No matter what sight arrangement we use, we still have to hold on target.
    I'm for whatever kind of sight it takes to be able to do that.
    Lol, the truth of it is....i need a scope on everything to see clearly now days.

I do like the shoulder stock and will eventually pick up another 13xx in the future and make a carbine out of it.
    I'd like to add a steel breech and scope on the next one. May do a few internal mods. and add a longer bbl. on it.

I may wind up with a steel breech and maybe a scope on the one i have now, but i intend to keep it in handgun mode.
    Can't wait to take both the 1377 and the 392 hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by 35 shooter View Post
    GhostHawk,

I turned 64 on the 3rd of this month, and i understand about iron sights and age.
    I couldn't see the issue sights on my 392 very well at all, but a peep was much better.
    For some reason i can still see the irons on a handgun "fairly" well, but a scope or red dot would be much better for me.

Your not cheating at all...we do what we have to as we age. No matter what sight arrangement we use, we still have to hold on target.
    Start saving your money to have your lenses replaced with new plastic ones! I had both of mine done and can now use the factory sites on all rifles. Opt for the ones that give you good far sight. My close up sight went from about 3 feet to around 6 inches. The faraway sight is better than 20-20. Had the "Glasses required" removed from the drivers license. Wish I had done it 20 years ago!

Boolit Master
    I passed 65 in the fast lane a couple of years back. My eyesight has actually steadily improved since my mid fifties. I don't need glasses to read or do fine detail work . I can see fairly clearly in bright light but astigmatism causes problems past 10 feet.

If the aperture of a peep sight is small enough I have a fairly clear image of target and sight out to fifty yards or so in very bright daylight. I do prefer a scope for precision work but for my 13XX carbine the peep sight works just fine for me out to 25 yards which is the practical limit of my backyard range.

A British company once marketed aperture rear sights with a prescription lens insert. Be nice if these were available now days.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a forty plus year history with the 1322 and 1377, having shot all manner of vermin with mine since I was a little kid. Those models were "sliding cover" breech and the current bolt is superior to those as the sliding breech would get loose with extended use and try to blow open when shot.

One disconcerting thing with some models as received lately is that the barrel is loose under the front sight retainer and can be moved slightly. This may have been rectified for all I know, but a simple wedge between the barrel and cylinder cured that.

I do prefer the .22 myself but in most instances the .177 will get the job done. I cannot really see the .177 as a sudden squirrel stopper on our largish fox squirrels, having tried it myself. Quite frankly it ain't, to the point of being somewhat inhumane. However, with well placed shots on rabbit, frogs, pigeon, sparrow and startling it is just fine. The .22 seems to kill a bit more reliably and I have an awful lot of shot vermin with the two calibers to back that opinion up.

It is fine to carry on fishing trips and quite useful to while away the time or eliminate pests while waiting for the fish to take your bait. Can't really be without one and I will own one as a necessity for the rest of my time here.

Gehmann makes a rear aperture that is adjustable to correct your vision so you can see the rear and front sight as well as the target . I have one and it does work well . I paid more for it than most of my scopes . Marvin
    http://www.champchoice.com/store/Mai...yBody&c=OPSIGE

As luck would have it, equipment breakdowns have kept me busy the last couple of days.
    You know the kind when something is old and worn out(like me), as fast as you fix one thing on it something else breaks lol.

Getting into some new equipment tommorrow hopefully, and make up some for some of the downtime.
    Unfortunately, that's going to eat into my spare change big time for another 13xx
    Still plan on getting another as soon as possible though. Can't wait to mod one of these into a 18" or so bbl. carbine.
    Should still be lighter than my 392, and easy to pump, shoot, and carry all day....don't really need it...just want it lol.

I'll check into some of the eyesight aids some of you posted on too.

35remington,

You summed up very well exactly how i've come to feel about these 13xx handguns....i'll never be without mine either!
    Lol, i'm sort of late to the game, but looks like i'm in to stay!

It seems air guns can make a liar out of a fellow. I said i would keep this 1377 as a handgun, but found myself putting the shoulder stock back on the other day lol.

I tried the peep sight again, but soon flipped the u notch back in place.
    I found even though the rear sight gives me a bit of a blur on top of the rear in certain light conditions, i could still see the darker line of the true top of the notch.

I quickly got used to lining the top of the post on that darker line and trusting it...it worked like a charm.
    Even though it's much lighter than my 392, i'm shooting this little gun in carbine form offhand easier than i can the 392 even at 50 yds.
    Maybe it's because i'm so used to the pistol grip on my 35 whelen encore.

I settled on a 30 yd. zero and it keeps all shots within a half inch under or over poa from zero to dead on top of the sight at 30 yds.

Of course all this has me dreaming about a marauder pcp pistol with the shoulder stock now. 22 cal. at 700 fps....a guy could tear the squirrel woods up with that lol.
    Probably wind up with another 13xx, steel breech, and fully screw adjustable rear sight or scope first though.

If i had one of these as a kid, i would have never made it through school.
    The only thing i would have "studied", was how i was going to get the next tin of pellets lol!!

They are addicting!

In my case it is a pair of 1322's.

Mine has had several different styles of sights/scopes mounted.

I mostly prefer the Red Dot, Truglo makes a 2x Red Dot that helps bring those long targets a bit closer. 2.5 moa dot. So if your steady at all, put the dot where you want the pellet and it goes there.

That little 13xx series has enough oomph for what needs doing. Is light, easy to carry, load. And with the carbine stock is plenty accurate enough.

Yeah they are addicting.

Boolit Master
    I picked one up at Walmart–Very happy. Very accurate, as others have said.

Boolseye,

Hope you enjoy yours as much as i do mine. You sure get a lot in return for the money spent!

GhostHawk,

How well does your red dot sight do in dim light, like just before dark?
    i like the idea of them, but have never really tried one.
    The 2x power would be nice!

Boolit Master
    Finally chronographed my 13XX carbine with 24" barrel. At 15 pumps I got 587 FPS using a 14 gr Meister Kuglen pellet.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast